↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Electrical extras
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
mymini007

1986 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Java Black
Electrical extras
I have read that adding a 2nd 12v power socket is as easy as piggy backing the existing one,

how many times can this be done?
I also want to add some extra lights, and a fan heater and some other bits and bobs, whats the best way to do all of this, I will end up with about 5 feeds off the battery, or should I add a new fuse box and wire all the new bits from there?
Post #103470 30th Nov 2011 10:01am
leeds

United Kingdom 
12 volt sockets are typically rated at 16-20 amps.

Piggy back 12 volt sockets off another one? Yes it can be done BUT will people upgrade the wire?

Or will they just shove a higher rate fuse on the initial 12 volt socket?

In latter situation there is a danger of burning out the initial wire!

Safest way is to add an additional fusebox, that way things can be individually correctly fused. Ensure you take all the negatives back to the battery rather then using the chassis as a return path.
Fuse boxes such as these have common negative bus bars

Brendan

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #103476 30th Nov 2011 10:22am
mymini007

leeds wrote:
12 volt sockets are typically rated at 16-20 amps.

Piggy back 12 volt sockets off another one? Yes it can be done BUT will people upgrade the wire?

Or will they just shove a higher rate fuse on the initial 12 volt socket?

In latter situation there is a danger of burning out the initial wire!

Safest way is to add an additional fusebox, that way things can be individually correctly fused. Ensure you take all the negatives back to the battery rather then using the chassis as a return path.
Fuse boxes such as these have common negative bus bars

Brendan

Thats great thanks. Will have a go this weekend if I get time. :thumbsup:

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #103507 30th Nov 2011 1:14pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi MM

In my opinion, the best thing to do is what Brendan suggests, add an extra fuse box and run your extras from there.

I have fitted the box that Brendan posted a picture of in my battery compartment and then run all my extra circuits from there. The only extras that go directly to the battery are the winch and the CB but I am probably going to move the CB + ve to the extra fuse box over Xmas when I have some time.

Only tricky bit about the whole operation is getting the correct cables to run from the battery to the new box but I am sure somebody like Brendan could help with finding them or he may even supply them.

I fitted my extra fuse box quite some time back but I think the total cost was in the region of £45 pounds for the box plus the cables to hook it up to the battery. With the amount of time it has saved me when fitting new circuits and the peace of mind that everything is wired and fused correctly it has more than paid for itself Thumbs Up

Have a read of this thread to see how the job is done.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1331.h...a+fuse+box

Bob
Post #103555 30th Nov 2011 5:34pm
mymini007

bob neville wrote:
Hi MM

In my opinion, the best thing to do is what Brendan suggests, add an extra fuse box and run your extras from there.

I have fitted the box that Brendan posted a picture of in my battery compartment and then run all my extra circuits from there. The only extras that go directly to the battery are the winch and the CB but I am probably going to move the CB + ve to the extra fuse box over Xmas when I have some time.

Only tricky bit about the whole operation is getting the correct cables to run from the battery to the new box but I am sure somebody like Brendan could help with finding them or he may even supply them.

I fitted my extra fuse box quite some time back but I think the total cost was in the region of £45 pounds for the box plus the cables to hook it up to the battery. With the amount of time it has saved me when fitting new circuits and the peace of mind that everything is wired and fused correctly it has more than paid for itself Thumbs Up

Have a read of this thread to see how the job is done.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic1331.h...a+fuse+box

Bob

I just took the original fuse box cover off to wire up a stereo Big Cry Shocked

What a mess, managed to wire up the stereo from the old wires, but in the box there are wires everywhere.

So the new fuse box will be the way to go, I will cover the old one back up and, hopefully not have to look in there again Whistle
Post #103560 30th Nov 2011 6:08pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We sell that 12 gang fuse box for £31. If you need help with the main cables give me a shout and I will try and help you out.

Brendan
Post #103654 30th Nov 2011 9:19pm
mymini007

leeds wrote:
We sell that 12 gang fuse box for £31. If you need help with the main cables give me a shout and I will try and help you out.

Brendan

Thats great cheers Thumbs Up You cant polish a turd!
But you can roll it in glitter Smile

2006 Mercedes Benz CDI320
2001 Volkswagon Caddy Van 1.9 SDi
1993 Nissan Patrol 4.2 TD
1986 90 200tdi - SOLD
1990 Mini mayfair (highly modified) - FOR SALE
Post #103700 30th Nov 2011 10:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1