↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Diesel quality
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Diesel quality
Filled up with ridiculously expensive Shell V-Power Diesel for the last two tanks - no discernible increase in power, and fuel consumption was the same (actually worse) than with the standard grade. Back to the cheap stuff and 2-stroke then.
I know it's pathetic but I really thought there would be a difference Sad
Any other experiences?
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #102945 27th Nov 2011 11:23pm
Lorryman100

I used to use V power in all our vehicles until I had to fill up at a BP station. The zed usually gets 20mpg with v power and with BP ultimate we now get 22mpg Confused So now all our cars use BP ultimate Thumbs Up
Post #102948 27th Nov 2011 11:27pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ZeDefender

Lorryman100 wrote:
I used to use V power in all our vehicles until I had to fill up at a BP station. The zed usually gets 20mpg with v power and with BP ultimate we now get 22mpg Confused So now all our cars use BP ultimate Thumbs Up

I'm slowly concluding that Shell aren't that great - BP are a bit further away but better consumption might make it worth it.
Any observations about engine noise etc.? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #102952 27th Nov 2011 11:33pm
Lorryman100

Not really, average about 28mpg with the Alive tune on the defender using BP Ultimate Diesel. The other vehicles are petrol and are quiet enough already Whistle Thumbs Up
Post #102953 27th Nov 2011 11:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I too am deeply unconvinced by these premium fuels having tried them (a few tanks - not just one) in the BM , a diesel Astra and the petrol stuff in a Golf R32. No discernible difference in performance or mpg.

I'd only use the premium petrol (not the diesel) in a very highly tuned turbo petrol car. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #102954 27th Nov 2011 11:38pm
Lorryman100

Need to use RON 97 in the cars as that is what they are tuned for. Thumbs Up
Post #102955 27th Nov 2011 11:39pm
ZeDefender

Lorryman100 wrote:
Not really, average about 28mpg with the Alive tune on the defender using BP Ultimate Diesel. The other vehicles are petrol and are quiet enough already Whistle Thumbs Up

Hope to get my Alive improved a bit next week - brilliant in 1st to 4th but nasty judders in 5th and 6th between 1800 and 2200 rpm when going up hills or giving it some welly (not Puroforts Whistle ) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #102956 27th Nov 2011 11:40pm
ZeDefender

DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:
I too am deeply unconvinced by these premium fuels having tried them (a few tanks - not just one) in the BM , a diesel Astra and the petrol stuff in a Golf R32. No discernible difference in performance or mpg.

I'd only use the premium petrol (not the diesel) in a very highly tuned turbo petrol car.

Being näive, and before I was lucky enough to own one, I always thought Defenders could run on anything! Doh! Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #102957 27th Nov 2011 11:43pm
Stornaway90

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Zermatt Silver
I'd only use the premium petrol (not the diesel) in a very highly tuned turbo petrol car.[/quote]
Being näive, and before I was lucky enough to own one, I always thought Defenders could run on anything! Doh![/quote]

They can, for instance the Army LR's. They are designed to run-on absolutely anything. I am not saying they run well on poor quality fuel but the difference is they do run. Try 40% hydraulic oil mixed with regular diesel, LR Puma runs okay, on this mixture, transit van with essentially the same engine but tuned differently wouldn't even start.

The moral of the story is, the better the quality of the fuel the better the performance result, you pay your money and take your chance.
Smile One Life Live It, There Isn't Anything To Beat It, Even The Boss Agrees.
Defender 110 2012(XS)
Defender 90 2011 (XS) Gone.
Defender 90 2008 (County) Gone.
Triumph Bonneville (SE) Gone.
www.landywatch.co.uk
Post #102960 27th Nov 2011 11:52pm
TJ101

Isle Of Man 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Talking petrol here,
I have always used Shell in the rally cars, unless we have to use Fia fuel !!!
Did a fun track down a while ago, and took some shell for refuelling etc,, bit had to search for some more fuel mid afternoon, and could only get BP,, made a big different, certainly a good increase in top end speed

Always found premium diesel, never worth the extra California F1, 75th 110 "Kermit", 50th Ann V8, 90 V8 Hybrid, 55 Series 1

Main Brian James Trailer Dealer for South West UK
Post #102962 28th Nov 2011 12:05am
ZeDefender

TJ101 wrote:
Talking petrol here,
I have always used Shell in the rally cars, unless we have to use Fia fuel !!!
Did a fun track down a while ago, and took some shell for refuelling etc,, bit had to search for some more fuel mid afternoon, and could only get BP,, made a big different, certainly a good increase in top end speed

Always found premium diesel, never worth the extra

Convinced Smile
Cheers,
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #102973 28th Nov 2011 12:27am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I do the same journey Chester to Broadhaven (Pembrokeshire) and return every 3 weeks or so, mostly late in the evening so little congestion, (184miles & 4hours of hard driving) BP Ultimate give 10% improvement in mpg and smoother drive, but what is really noticeable is the difference between Tesco stations, the one in Haverfordwest seems to deliver a smoother drive compared to up north Tescos, but no change in mpg.
It is not only the effect of the additives but also the % biodiesel that I believe effects the smoothness of the drive.
As for V power all I can say is bag of hammers! 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #102983 28th Nov 2011 1:23am
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
This might be helpful sent to me by a mate in the fuel industry:

TIPS ON PUMPING FUEL

I don't know what you are paying for petrol.... I am paying up to £1.35 to £1.50 per litre. My line of work as you know is in petroleum for about 31 years now, so here are some tricks to get more of your money's worth for every Litre:

Here at the Shell Pipeline where I work , we deliver about 4 million litres in a 24-hour period .. One day is diesel the next day is jet fuel, and petrol, regular and premium grades. We have 34-storage tanks here with a total capacity of 16,800,000 Litres.

Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the petrol, when it gets warmer petrol expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening....your litre is not exactly a litre. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the petrol, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role.

A 1-degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. You should be pumping on low mode, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

One of the most important tips is to fill up when your Petrol tank is HALF FULL. The reason for this is the more Petrol you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. petrol evaporates faster than you can imagine. petrol storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the Petrol and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation. Unlike service stations, here where I work, every truck that we load is temperature compensated so that every litre is actually the exact amount.

Another reminder, if there is a petrol truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy Petrol, DO NOT fill up; most likely the petrol is being stirred up as the Petrol is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom.

Hope that helps someone who didn't know all this.......................Gil Wink
Post #105311 7th Dec 2011 1:55pm
fekete

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Bonatti Grey
Top post and it all make sense Thumbs Up NEVER TAKE LIFE SERIOUSLY. NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE ANYWAY
Post #105312 7th Dec 2011 2:05pm
Gil9713

United Kingdom 
and while I'm in the flow, so to speak..................did you know that the petrol gauge tells you which side the filler cap is on?
Very useful, if like me you drive odd vehicles from time to time.
Indicated by an arrow on most vehicles or whichever side the filler pipe is on the symbol of a petrol pump.
Happy days Wink
Post #105314 7th Dec 2011 2:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>