↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > 2009 2.4 TDCi ECU not communicating
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Landy addict

Scotland 
Thanks for your comments Andy, sorry for any confusion I might be causing in my description. I was checking for power, the meter I have automatically adjusts when it does not detect power it switches to check something ells (as I am no electrician I called it Ohms so I may be wrong about that). When I do not detect power I take the fuse out & check to see if there is a fault with it.
Post #1035294 21st May 2024 7:59am
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Ahhh it's no bother, I frequently misunderstand or get the wrong end of the stick😂..
And at the risk of causing further confusion as I not a lecky either, I've never come across a meter that changes function when set to a scale..
It can be auto ranging on whatever scale you are using.. But it won't change from volts to ohms etc so it's important to manually select the correct function..
Post #1035296 21st May 2024 8:28am
Landy addict

Scotland 
Hi Andy,
It switches automatically see below description

The CUSBON Auto-Ranging Digital Multimeter is an affordable and accurate tool that is perfect for everyday use around the house. It uses the common 2 AAA batteries and has a bright and easy-to-read backlit LCD display. Its autorange function is very quick, making it fast and efficient to switch between readings. Customers like that this multimeter is automatic, so there is no need to turn a dial to switch between readings
Post #1035303 21st May 2024 9:52am
andy63

I don't think you are getting what I'm trying to say.. The meter is auto ranging in that it will select the correct range to read volts... Or ohms correctly and accurately when set on a particular function..
It will not change from reading volts to ohms because it doesn't detect power on the circuit you are checking... which is the impression I got from reading the last bit of your post above that you thought it did..
You would need to turn a dial or press a button to select the correct function that you want to check👍
Post #1035309 21st May 2024 10:10am
Landy addict

Scotland 
Sorry if I am being a complete idiot here I am just trying to understand so that I give the right description when asking for help.

When I put the meter across the battery + & - I get this result, pointer at top of screen showing Volts

Click image to enlarge

without doing anything ells to the meter I remove the wire from the positive side of the battery to earth out on the seat box bolt leaving the other end connected to the negative side of battery & this is what happens

Click image to enlarge

I thought this was reading the Ohms as the meter shows the pointer at the top of the screen now pointing at the symbol Ω.
There are only 3x buttons on the meter 1. on / off 2. light 3. change mode to NVC (non contact voltage detection).
As I said I am just trying to understand & ask advice, should I discard this meter & try getting another type if it is not doing what I need. If so does anyone have any recommendation for what type on a budget as it would only be used for cars.
Post #1035312 21st May 2024 11:15am
andy63

And you appear to be right.. If you haven't touched any of the buttons. 😳..
Here's what I'd expect..
With the dc volts selected and the probes across the battery you get your 14.7 v(I assume engine is running or you have a charger on the battery)
Now remove the posotive probe and place it on the seat bolt or a good earth point and it would read zero.. As there is no potential between the negative terminal and your chosen earth..
Yours is reading a resistance at that point which I've not come across..

If you did select the resistance function
And checked between the battery negative terminal and a good earth like your seat bolt, you should get a very low reading half to one ohm maybe depending on the quality of connection... Your second picture appears to be showing 0.2something kohms or over 200 ohms🤔
But as I said before you would not choose to use the resistance function on a circuit that was live..
Post #1035319 21st May 2024 11:45am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
It does appear LA's meter automatically switches between V and R. When it detects 0V it goes into resistance mode (or rather I suppose it switches into V mode from the default R mode when it detects a voltage). Odd but there we go!  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1035320 21st May 2024 11:47am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landy addict

Scotland 
andy63 wrote:
And you appear to be right.. If you haven't touched any of the buttons. 😳..
Here's what I'd expect..
With the dc volts selected and the probes across the battery you get your 14.7 v(I assume engine is running or you have a charger on the battery)
Now remove the posotive probe and place it on the seat bolt or a good earth point and it would read zero.. As there is no potential between the negative terminal and your chosen earth..
Yours is reading a resistance at that point which I've not come across..

If you did select the resistance function
And checked between the battery negative terminal and a good earth like your seat bolt, you should get a very low reading half to one ohm maybe depending on the quality of connection... Your second picture appears to be showing 0.2something kohms or over 200 ohms🤔
But as I said before you would not choose to use the resistance function on a circuit that was live..

You are right Andy I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 Battery Charger on it as it is also a trickle charger to keep it healthy for all the turning over I was doing trying to start it with no luck so far Big Cry .

Martin I will be checking out the connection to the main relay later, I know I should not ask this with my limited knowlage of electrics but here we go. Is there a way to test the relay Very Happy
Post #1035322 21st May 2024 12:00pm
andy63

it is difficult to make comment on things like this given the modern state of electronics and their capability now...

im sorry if I have caused confusion, I was just trying to explain my understanding of my dealings with stuff like this and ive never come across a meter that switches function before..
but id still question the usefulness of that given the reading displayed assuming the contacts are good..
it should be reading in the low ohm's
Post #1035323 21st May 2024 12:03pm
Martin
Site Admin

Main relay will be one of the ones in the seat box with the white stripe printed on. The other is the starter relay.

Quickest test:

As you need to get the ECU powered up, and actually turning the starter isn't the problem (and you know the starter works), just swap them over.

If this stops the starter working, and you get the normal cluster warning lights and temperature at the bottom, then the relay was at fault.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1035324 21st May 2024 12:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

If no change after relay swap, remove the main relay from its socket (wire colours as in my post above) and check for 12V between a good ground point on body/chassis/battery negative two each of the brown and light green wires.

Also one thing - has the ECU been removed or disconnected as part of your rebuild, any chance it's not been plugged back in correctly/fully?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1035325 21st May 2024 12:20pm
Landy addict

Scotland 
It was the relay put new relays in & dash lights up thanks for all the advice. Don’t know where I would be without it

Click image to enlarge

But now it starts runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out Big Cry no throttle response to try keeping it running
Post #1035344 21st May 2024 6:59pm
Landy addict

Scotland 
When it cuts out I can immediately start it again & runs for another 5 seconds and cuts out. I have tried bleeding it but same results any ideas.
Post #1035346 21st May 2024 7:40pm
Martin
Site Admin

Are the alarm 10AS unit and the ECU exactly as they were before the rebuild? Not swapped out?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1035347 21st May 2024 8:05pm
Landy addict

Scotland 
There is no alarm on this it was the base model no key fob & I haven’t changed anything or swapped out. Not even sure it had a immobiliser, I did change the ignition barrel but as I say the original keys looked like there was no immobiliser linked to them, would it be possible to check.
Post #1035348 21st May 2024 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>