↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > TD5 unburnt diesel on startup.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
TD5 unburnt diesel on startup.
Hi,
Have an issue with white smoke upon startup and if you blip the throttle. Know that people are going to say replace injector seals and washers, but before that some background :-

1). Had to replace the cylinder head gasket a while back. I was losing water with no obvious leak and eventually it was disgnised as being the head gasket.

Didn't touch anything to do with injectors , before the gasket change. no white smoke. Just lifted the head , replaced gasket and refitted head. New bolts, torqued it all down. everything seemed fine. Yes I'd cable tied the timing chain to the top cam sprocket so everything was lined up.Now starts 1st turn lot lot better and not losing water

2). Had some stuff done for the mot by local landy person ( failed mot ... needs a new chassis) but what we noticed was clouds of unburnt diesel on startup so thought id 1st check the injector clearances b4 going full hog . This was a LOT of white/grey smoke, clouds of the stuff.
found really good youtube video on what to do, got to stage where you back off the lock nut, unscrew the adjuster till it gets hard to turn then back it of a full rotation.

This is. where "hard to turn" is a matter of interpretation because i thought turning them was fairly hard to do anyway (certainly not as easy as tappet adjustment on an S3) . So 1st thing i did was to tighten the adjuster, wanting to see if it would get harder to turn .... and it did, after 1 turnish couldnt turn it at all. Backed that injector of a few turns, tightened it back up and then the obligatory 1 turn back. Then did the other 4 and was the same with all of them 1 clockwise turn and couldnt turn them any, more so backed off by 1 turn. Looks as if 1 injector needed adjusting ( backing off) and the rest were ok.

BTW how do you tell if an injector is bottoming out ? turned engine oiver by hand a few times couldnt hear anything out of the ordinary

Put everything back together started .... no smoke ... ran for a bit switched off and on ..no smoke.... left it for a day .... started ... greay smoke.. not as much as before. going. to do this a few more times to see what happens.

Did sound a lot quieter must admit.

It's certainly better, if there is some smoke its a lot less and vanishes quicker, so not sure if I do need to change the seals. I suspect the answer is yes change them.

Thoughts?

A Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Gertie - 1999 110 TD5 - like a Phoenix from the ashes back on road... almost
Effie - 2004 110 TD5 County
Post #1028987 22nd Mar 2024 4:37pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
10 or 15P engine?
Post #1029025 22nd Mar 2024 10:55pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
ok so finally did what I should have done after i installed the new head gasket.. Bought a CO/2 testing kit and ... after 35 mins of fast idle, still got CO2 in the coolant so there is still a leas past gasket or its the head.

Have another head so will take it for checking st a machine shop then if its ok install that
Failing that could be buying a new head
Post #1030614 5th Apr 2024 12:11pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i was about to ask if you had the head skimmed and pressure tested....
Post #1030633 5th Apr 2024 1:16pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
unfortinately not the 1st time ... will be b4 i change the gasket again
Post #1030640 5th Apr 2024 1:40pm
NickMc

Leaking down over night cracked head or bad gasket job. Only if it was 15P it could be cracked in the injector socket.
Post #1030696 5th Apr 2024 10:13pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Annoyingly, some times fire it up and not a peep of white smoke. e.g. last time she ran ( 2 weeks ago) clouds of stuff. ran her for 35 mins

went out just now, turned the key and starts fine not a peep of the stuff everything seems normal

As its the 1st td5 head gasket ive done will happily admit it could be my fault but would realy like some consistency please!
Post #1030956 8th Apr 2024 2:18pm
alexatnd

United Kingdom 
Next question though. The instructions for the CO2 testing kit says "Run for a few mins" ok how long is a few mins.... took 35 mins at idle with occasional foot pressure to get from blue-> green-> yellow

If I'd run it for 5-10 mins it would have said things are ok Santa - 1977 Series 3 - new chassis, tub, disc brakes,SU Carb
Post #1030957 8th Apr 2024 2:20pm
NickMc

Until it’s operating temp, I guess the thermostats open, which is hard to do on a td5 at tick over. Do you only get the white smoke on start up and after an extended period of sitting ie overnight? What year is your td5?
Post #1031030 9th Apr 2024 12:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1