↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Adding rear heated screen and wiper / wash to 2004 hardtop
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Adding rear heated screen and wiper / wash to 2004 hardtop
Hello all. Having trawled through Google and searching here, I’m still not sure if it’s possible / relatively easy to add a heated rear window and add a rear wiper and wash. I’ve just bought. TD5 90 2004 (collect Saturday coming) and it’s currently not fitted with the above. I found a previous post suggesting that the wiring / relay might already exist in the rear door and that the connectors might also be behind the dash. Does this mean that all I need will be dash switches, motor and arm etc? Not sure whether the wash side of things would be present (pump, pipe from washer tank to jet etc). Pretty sure the jet itself isn’t present. Any advice / encouragement or bad news would be appreciated!! Cheers, Matt.
Post #1027215 7th Mar 2024 9:32pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Download RAVE (LR service manual), there are schematics with pictures of connectors and their placement in car. And than just look in car for these. Types, sizes and colours of connectors and wires will help you to identify the right ones. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1027266 8th Mar 2024 11:53am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
In the back corner, driver's (RHD) side (opposite side to numberplate), see if you have a translucent white/cream 6 way connector with 5 wires fitted. BLACK, WHITE/GREEN, GREEN/PURPLE, WHITE/BLACK, BLACK/GREEN.

This is the connection between the chassis loom and the rear door.

If you have just this connector 'loose' and nothing plugged into it, then you have no loom in the rear door.

Only way to be sure is to take off the door panel and see if you have a loom fitted.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1027267 8th Mar 2024 11:59am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
110Matty

United Kingdom 
MadTom wrote:
Download RAVE (LR service manual), there are schematics with pictures of connectors and their placement in car. And than just look in car for these. Types, sizes and colours of connectors and wires will help you to identify the right ones.

Thanks Madtom, will do. Is there a safe download site, first 2 i tried came up as malicious and were blocked. Nice coincidence, I know a guy / business from Olomouc, known him for 25 years i reckon.
Post #1027268 8th Mar 2024 12:04pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Martin wrote:
In the back corner, driver's (RHD) side (opposite side to numberplate), see if you have a translucent white/cream 6 way connector with 5 wires fitted. BLACK, WHITE/GREEN, GREEN/PURPLE, WHITE/BLACK, BLACK/GREEN.

If you have just this connector 'loose' and nothing plugged into it, then you have no loom in the rear door.

Only way to be sure is to take off the door panel and see if you have a loom fitted.

Many thanks Martin, appreciate it. I thought that might be the case (remove panel and see) but i was trying to get ahead of the game, i consider a rear wiper and heated screen as an essential, rather than a nice to have. Also didn't want to take the dash apart immediately to see if the connectors were there for the switches and also take headlight out (if needed) to check the reservoir for the rear wash pipe / pump. All easy stuff I guess, but wondered if anyone else had done it, i thought I'd find plenty of threads on it. I only have to wait until tomorrow to find out - but at the moment it feels just like Christmas Eve when i was a kid !!
Post #1027270 8th Mar 2024 12:12pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Sorry, but I have no current download place.
Look here - https://nove.landroverforum.cz/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42058 there are some new and some old links.
You are looking for workshop manual = mechanics, wiring diagram = electrical schematics and electrical library = circuits description + connectors.
In RAVE it was all in one package, plus more like user manuals, recall actions, .... "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #1027276 8th Mar 2024 1:37pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Martin wrote:
In the back corner, driver's (RHD) side (opposite side to numberplate), see if you have a translucent white/cream 6 way connector with 5 wires fitted. BLACK, WHITE/GREEN, GREEN/PURPLE, WHITE/BLACK, BLACK/GREEN.er update

Only way to be sure is to take off the door panel and see if you have a loom fitted.

Hi Martin, there was no loom in the rear door (now purchased) but as you suggested I eventually found (under carpet and behind a large grommet in the back of the body) what appears to be the 6 pin connector in question. Also of note, the blank switches in the dash have connectors (to the chassis loom) so much of the required wiring is already present. Well happy with that. Further update(s) to follow.
Post #1028217 15th Mar 2024 10:17pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Martin wrote:

Hi Martin / all,
Should i expect to find another connector (in addition to the 6 pin one pictured) inside the bodywork for the pink and orange wired connector on the body end of the loom and if so, what does it power please

Click image to enlarge

?

Click image to enlarge

Also, can you advise on the correct connector positions (i.e. which connectors are for rear wipe, rear wash and heated rear screen - i assume that's what the 3 blank switches are?) and also the last photo shows some additional connectors, some look factory taped up out of the way - any idea what these others are (i know there is also some aftermarket stereo wiring in there! Any help much appreciated. Matt.
Post #1028349 17th Mar 2024 2:56pm
Martin
Site Admin

The 2 pin one (pink and orange) is for central locking.

The plugs should only fit one switch, and on one dash position.

But blue plug = heated rear window, white plug = rear wiper, black plug = rear wash

The blue / yellow connectors with tape around are “headers” (joiners/spitters) and don’t have any other connector to fit to them.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1028351 17th Mar 2024 3:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

Quote:
via email

Thanks Martin,

So I’m not expecting to find the chassis wiring for central locking, near that 6 pin connector?

Central locking goes via the roof loom, do you have central locking on the front doors?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #1028355 17th Mar 2024 3:34pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Sadly not. I knew my luck would run out eventually!! It is / was a very basic hardtop spec. I have an aftermarket central locking kit that I’ll be fitting. It includes wiring, I just thought (hoped) I could use some factory wiring pre-routed to the front. Thanks.
Post #1028358 17th Mar 2024 4:18pm
110Matty

United Kingdom 
Sorry Martin, me again! If the wiring / connectors for the rear wash switch is already there at the dash end, where is the wiring for the pump at the reservoir? I know the pump and hose aren’t present. 🤔
Post #1028389 17th Mar 2024 9:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1