↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > TDCi fuel system
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
TDCi fuel system
i think the answer is yes but looking for comfirmation.

Is it an HP system from the tank fwd like a td5?

ie if i want a fuel feed i need to take it from the tank itself rather than FIP feed. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99450 11th Nov 2011 10:51pm
Lorryman100

It is a low pressure system from the tank to the pump where it then becomes a HP system to the rail.

Lorryman100 wrote:

The fuel pump contains and controls both the low pressure and high pressure systems. The low pressure side of the pump is responsible for getting the fuel from/and return to the tank and into the pump to be utilized in the high pressure system. It does this by using an eccentric cam to draw fuel along the fuel pipes and into the pump. There is an admissions valve to control the volume (also ensures that sufficient lubrication and cooling are always provided for the high-pressure pump components) and also a temp sensor to determine the fuel density by its temperature, if this sensor is faulty or unplugged the defender will enter limp mode. Fuel is then passed into the high pressure side by way of the Volume Control Valve which is controlled by the EMS. It basically governs the flow of fuel from the low to the high pressure side to maintain the fuel accumulator rail at a set pressure. It operates by means of the EMS using the information from the fuel rail pressure sensor to maintain the pressure at the fuel rail, about 1600BAR.
A total of 2 high-pressure chambers, each with a pump plunger, are used for high-pressure generation. The drive for the pump plungers is through an eccentric cam, which is in turn driven by the drive shaft. The high-pressure pump permanently generates the high system pressure for the fuel rail. The rotary movement of the drive shaft is converted to a reciprocating movement by the eccentric cam. The eccentric cam ring then transfers the reciprocating movement to the pump plungers. The pump plungers are offset by 180 degrees. This means that during a reciprocating movement, pump plunger 1 performs exactly the opposite movement to pump plunger 2. When the eccentric cam produces an upward stroke, pump plunger 1 moves in the direction of Top Dead Center (TDC), thus compressing the fuel and delivering it to the fuel rail via the outlet valve. The inlet valve is pressed into its seat by the delivery pressure. Pump plunger 2 is moved by the tension spring force in the direction of Bottom Dead Center (BDC). Due to the high pressure in the fuel rail, the outlet valve is pressed into its seat. The pump internal pressure opens the inlet valve and fuel flows into the high-pressure chamber. When the eccentric cam produces a downward stroke, the process is reversed.

Brian.
Post #99451 11th Nov 2011 10:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

Thank you for the quick reply.

where abouts is the pump located please?

ie could i tee in prior to the pump so supply fuel to a DBH such as a Websato? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99453 11th Nov 2011 11:05pm
dgardel

Italy 
jst wrote:
Thank you for the quick reply.

where abouts is the pump located please?

ie could i tee in prior to the pump so supply fuel to a DBH such as a Websato?

The high pressure pump (installed on the engine closer to the brake vacuum pump) also have the feed pump. No external pump on Puma Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #99456 11th Nov 2011 11:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jst

so you can tee in one route from the tank to the pump or on its return then for a LP feed. ie could take it off the fuel cooler on the return? Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99457 11th Nov 2011 11:17pm
dgardel

Italy 
jst wrote:
so you can tee in one route from the tank to the pump or on its return then for a LP feed. ie could take it off the fuel cooler on the return?

Practically no!

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #99461 11th Nov 2011 11:40pm
Lorryman100

jst wrote:
so you can tee in one route from the tank to the pump or on its return then for a LP feed. ie could take it off the fuel cooler on the return?

Personally I would not interrupt the fragile Low pressure fuel feed system by tapping into it. The safest option is to take a separate feed from the fuel tank or mount an auxiliary tank somewhere. On the Puma engine there is only the fuel pump eccentric cam to draw fuel through to the pump from the tank. There would probably be feed issues and fuel starvation to the webasto due to the syphon effect of the fuel pump, though you could probably put in a one way valve in the inlet side of webasto fuel intake to compensate for this though what issues this may cause to the fuel feed to the fuel pump is anyone's guess. Also it may give another issue in that it is somewhere else to leak from, lose pressure because off.
Just my opinion,

Brian.
Post #99509 12th Nov 2011 3:42pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
dgardel wrote:
jst wrote:

Practically no!

Click image to enlarge

how did you fuel your webasto dgardel?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #99511 12th Nov 2011 3:53pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
jst - take a look in here:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8509.html?highlight=webasto

there's a whole section on installing the pickup in the fuel tank. Also do a search on Webasto there's loads of stuff about fuel lines. I looked at teeing off the fuel line but the general consensu was don't.
Post #99515 12th Nov 2011 5:43pm
jst

cheers Guys,

i ran an extra pickup for the one in my Td5 from the tank, looks like if i fit one i will be doing the same again then. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99522 12th Nov 2011 6:38pm
dgardel

Italy 
T1G UP wrote:
dgardel wrote:
jst wrote:

Practically no!

Click image to enlarge

how did you fuel your webasto dgardel?

Like on the link wrote by Cobs, I inserted the pick up un the fuel level sender flange

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #99536 12th Nov 2011 7:38pm
dgardel

Italy 

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #99539 12th Nov 2011 7:44pm
cobs

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Cairns Blue
that's the baby:

Webasto low profile diesel pick-up pipe (Webasto part no: 41S45017A)
Post #99563 12th Nov 2011 8:43pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
whats in dropping a puma 110 tank? same as a td5 110..
Post #99571 12th Nov 2011 8:57pm
dgardel

Italy 
This is mine solution. Photos are taken from internet, not my car mod. I'll take same from my car soon.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #99585 12th Nov 2011 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>