↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Trying to beat the winter weather!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
TACK

Last year I used a 240v tube heater. Mains, and I also run it off my inverter. Thumbs Up

Tack
Post #99224 10th Nov 2011 9:45pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
as above, my mate in Oslo just confirmed they fit

http://wup.defa.com/en/index.html

to all their vehicles and they work very well.
Post #99239 10th Nov 2011 10:04pm
Bobble

United Kingdom 
Re: Trying to beat the winter weather!
JWL wrote:
Now with the colder weather fast approaching and trying to save myself the effort of scraping the ice off the windows as I've nowhere to park the truck under cover, I was looking into buying a Webasto or the like.

Buy a bit of tarpaulin, an old blanket or some MOD snow screens and simply cover the cab at night.
Cheaper, easier to fit, probably better for keeping frost off, and less likely to set fire to your truck.
Post #99265 10th Nov 2011 11:00pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've done all the blankets on the screen, doesn't work too well having a HD Brownchurch rack on the roof with the support legs down the windscreen pillars. Last year I used a windscreen sized piece of high density foam held in place by the wipers, yes worked well but, as with blankets and muffs, when they are either soaked with rain, stiff as a board with frost you've got to put them somewhere Confused My hope is that keeping the inside of the cabin warmer than outside will cut down on condensation, allright we may get some really low temperatures again this year but they are not what would be called extreme where the engine would be unable to cope with running in such conditions. It's not as if any of us jump in and go in our motors, we do let them run while we sort out the seatbelts, switch on the lights, have a gloating glance round to see who's watching with envy as we get our totally capable vehicle sorted and on the road Thumbs Up
Post #99287 11th Nov 2011 12:21am
RFT

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I've been looking at heaters for our hen house, was thinking of tubular heaters 43watt but just found these on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biogreen-GB-Protec...=de_a_smtd

They come in lots of different lengths and have a built in thermostat, same company also make heating blankets:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Biogreen-HMTA060-0...mp;sr=1-49

The open infrared heaters pose too much of a fire risk let alone the neighbours thinking you are running a brothel in your LR. Low emisivity heat is much safer with built in thermostat so you don't spend all night lining EDF energy share holders pockets.

I have not tried them but might give it a go, last year we had a frozen dead hen for a Christmas present & no eggs!!!

Richard 130 Puma HCPU with an Artica 240LR Demountable Camper
Post #99298 11th Nov 2011 2:11am
Surrey Rover

RFT wrote:
I've been looking at heaters for our hen house,
I have not tried them but might give it a go, last year we had a frozen dead hen for a Christmas present & no eggs!!!

Richard

Going way off topic, sorry.

Richard - I use a horse rug for our hen house, last year we had temps to -11 and they were fine. It's important to not get them too warm at night and then cold during the day so a horse rug stops all icy blasts but retains what heat they do have and conveniently doesn't cover the vent hole so allows some circulation.

Clearly this only works on a traditional style chicken house and not sheds etc. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #99301 11th Nov 2011 7:11am
ken

United Kingdom 
We tried all sorts in the Kennel ended up extending the CH system and new boiler now nice and toasty
Post #99314 11th Nov 2011 8:42am
JWL

Ahhh, now it's dawned on me that the term "kennel" is not a nickname for your Defender Laughing Laughing Rolling with laughter
Post #99316 11th Nov 2011 8:55am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Last winter I used a small, timed 240v domestic fan heater in the footwell or, as the case doesn't get warm sat on the cubbybox. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #99317 11th Nov 2011 9:03am
ken

United Kingdom 
JWL wrote:
Ahhh, now it's dawned on me that the term "kennel" is not a nickname for your Defender Laughing Laughing Rolling with laughter

Thumbs Up Yep however the mobile Kennel is a Vito 122 Dueliner with guess what rear Air con for the dogs Whistle
Post #99320 11th Nov 2011 9:18am
JWL

ken wrote:
JWL wrote:

Thumbs Up Yep however the mobile Kennel is a Vito 122 Dueliner with guess what rear Air con for the dogs Whistle

I used to be a shepherd and had excellent air con for my collies..............a pick-up(usually Land Rovers but a Dai splat su Embarassed for a while, did my best to kill it Very Happy ) If the weather got too bad then I'd put the Ifor Williams top back on Whistle
Post #99326 11th Nov 2011 9:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12