↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Security Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
Mrspaceman

United Kingdom 
Security Upgrade
Hi All, I have just received a telephone call from JLR to say my Defender is due a security upgrade and they have a mobile team in the area next week. My Defender 90 is MY24 and new in December. Has anyone else had a similar call ?
Post #1024002 8th Feb 2024 7:28pm
Down & Dirty

I have a 90 HSE MY24 collected in November just checked on topix and no outstanding recalls.

To be honest I’ve never heard of jlr doing house calls but I could be wrong Question My 24 HSE X-Dynamic 90 Carpathian Grey
Post #1024004 8th Feb 2024 7:45pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Sounds like a scam for stealing cars. They’ll take it for a test drive after ‘fixing’ it and then never bring it back.
Post #1024005 8th Feb 2024 7:47pm
Mrspaceman

United Kingdom 
I was concerned about a scam. But how would they have got my number and quoted address etc. I told the person I would call back at a convent time. Never he gave was 0800 521 786 wichi is a number for JLR assistance.
Post #1024007 8th Feb 2024 7:54pm
Mrspaceman

United Kingdom 
I also checked on topix and no outstanding recalls.

Last edited by Mrspaceman on 8th Feb 2024 9:03pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1024008 8th Feb 2024 7:57pm
J77

Scotland 
24MY should have the latest security updates. I’ve no outstanding campaigns for security on my 23.5MY. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1024010 8th Feb 2024 8:15pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
I have a 24MY and nothing outstanding

If I were you I would check your car via Topix - not sure I would be too keen on a mobile unit coming to the house and doing security work on my Defender. Tony

MY24 - 110 D300 HSE in Tasman Blue with White Contrast Roof. Air Suspension, Off-Road Pack, Towing Pack, Three-zone Climate Control, HUD, Cold Climate Pack, Classic Mud-Flaps, Fixed Side Steps, Wheel Arch Protection, Rear Recovery Eyes. Plus a few extras to keep the Cocker Spaniel safe & happy.
Post #1024015 8th Feb 2024 8:47pm
Mrspaceman

United Kingdom 
I have checked on topix and no outstanding recalls. [b]I called LR assist and the security campaign is legitimate And they are offering mobile appointments as to get it done at the dealer will be around 5 weeks. So it would be interesting to hear of anyone else gets a call.
Post #1024016 8th Feb 2024 8:54pm
aajr

United States 
Mrspaceman wrote:
I was concerned about a scam. But how would they have got my number and quoted address etc. I told the person I would call back at a convent time. Never he gave was 0800 521 786 wichi is a number for JLR assistance.

I get a bit paranoid at times, but this would set my alarm bells off big time. Shocked There's all kinds of ways people can get your number and address, it's really quite simple.

I'd stop by the dealer if they are at all convenient (even if not), and ask to talk to the service manager and find out what the real story is.

Hopefully you have the worlds most proactive Land Rover dealer and it's all a nothing.
Post #1024040 9th Feb 2024 3:45am
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
My had a security upgrade not long ago, so it may be legit but I would 100% be going to a dealer just to be on the safe side.
Post #1024042 9th Feb 2024 7:13am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
[quote="aajr"]
Mrspaceman wrote:
I was concerned about a scam. But how would they have got my number and quoted address etc. I told the person I would call back at a convent time. Never he gave was 0800 521 786 wichi is a number for JLR assistance.[/quote

I get a bit paranoid at times, but this would set my alarm bells off big time. Shocked There's all kinds of ways people can get your number and address, it's really quite simple.

I'd stop by the dealer if they are at all convenient (even if not), and ask to talk to the service manager and find out what the real story is.

Hopefully you have the worlds most proactive Land Rover dealer and it's all a nothing.

Agree, nowadays I ignore all calls unless from family/colleagues, all TEXT messages and most emails. I only take serious actions I initiate, like going to website with a secure log in, or me calling a published and verified number or as you said going and visiting an establishment.

I am not as much paranoid about security, but more just tired about the endless sales bs. Everyone seems to be after my money for my own good.

When I buy a service or a product I make sure it is a one-way street. I wouldn't buy a new car just because of all the after sales BS, subscriptions, insurances etc. When you sit in boardroom meetings you understand the modern sales game: get them hooked and start milking.
Post #1024043 9th Feb 2024 7:36am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Mrspaceman wrote:

Because your data is worth more to companies hence companies that have your data sell it on.

Trust no one, call your local dealer and speak to them directly

This last month I have had daily crap emails that I just delete without looking.

And I thought the security updates were for the pre 2022 model year, certainly not 2024.
Post #1024060 9th Feb 2024 10:36am
LR Nuts

"Because your data is worth more to companies hence companies that have your data sell it on."

your council can sell data listings ........... unless you X the box to opt out.
Post #1024062 9th Feb 2024 10:46am
XplusYplusZ

Mrspaceman wrote:
I have checked on topix and no outstanding recalls. [b]I called LR assist and the security campaign is legitimate And they are offering mobile appointments as to get it done at the dealer will be around 5 weeks. So it would be interesting to hear of anyone else gets a call.

Sounds like this was the best approach. Can you book the team through calling JLR? Rather than potential scammers knowing this is a campaign and taking advantage?
Post #1024066 9th Feb 2024 11:10am
Mrspaceman

United Kingdom 
Yes I can book through JLR assist but I also called the JLR dealership who said the car is not due a security update. I'm sure its not a scam but confused why JLR assist say I'm due update but dealer says I'm not !!

Last edited by Mrspaceman on 10th Feb 2024 10:22am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1024165 10th Feb 2024 9:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>