↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Land Rover Experience day - I learnt lots!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Moo

Ukraine 
Land Rover Experience day - I learnt lots!
After 16 months of ownership I finally did my LRE day with my daughters (18 & 23) at the West Country Experience. I didn't drive because I have done many of these things before, but I learnt loads about the car and its functions.

https://experience.landrover.co.uk/west-country/overview

Many of you may know these things but they were new to me!

1. How to disable ACC. I've never liked it on my Defender. I think it's too crude and brutal compared to others I have used.
2. How to use the rear wiper function to clear the rear camera. That that was really cool.
3. Pivipro navigation - Never bothered to really use it before but it is so much better than I thought and if you understand it makes Google and Apple Maps look old.
4. Using Snow Mode in day to day driving and the things it gives you without really changing how your car drives.
5. The car is rear wheel biased in day to day driving.
6. Toggling and setting the descent speed on HDC and its true functionality.
7. The functionality that Alexa provides - really surprised me so I will set that up.
8. Use Sand Mode in heavy snow.
9. Why you need to disable the Hold function and how it doesn't really change anything but allows you to creep when manoeuvring.
10. Lots of other bits I've forgotten but the girls know.

It was a great day out and my daughters had a fantastic time. The instructor was a young 22 year old girl employed directly by JLR who really knew her stuff. She does a lot of develop work and product launches. She was a real credit to JLR. Very impressed.

It goes without saying how good the car is off road. The girls have a lot of green lanes and trips they want to do, Strata Florida Shocked being one of many, so we'll look at that and reach out to some of the various groups etc that run events etc to tag along. They also have a long list of Noddyfications they want to add to the car Shocked Big Cry

A couple of interesting things she did mention - They do get a lot of side wall tears with the approved AT tyre (not Duratrac) and that 80% of owners don't ever use their voucher. We also noted that Noddy was the dirtiest car there Laughing and that the new RR Sport is incredibly capable on road tyres! Shocked

If you get a chance it's defiantly worth using your voucher. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023411 3rd Feb 2024 11:54am
Trevorb1

If 80% of people never use their voucher it's probably because LR don't supply them and the dealers don't tell you about them, not had 1 for any of last 3 LR's I've bought.
Post #1023421 3rd Feb 2024 12:32pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Folks don't use the vouchers because the wait is just way too long!!
I have done the experience day and agree its a good learning day.

It's just made so difficult to actually use Big Cry

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1023425 3rd Feb 2024 12:43pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Thats odd. I've had a voucher for every new LR i've bought and so has my eldest daughter. All from three different dealers. The question is, if you know that they exist, why didn't you ask the dealer for a voucher?

As for availability, I only booked mine three weeks ago and had no issues, particularly as I needed to tie in with my daughters shifts. Confused The website is also very easy to use and see availability.

Anyway, worth doing if you get a voucher and can find a slot. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023428 3rd Feb 2024 12:51pm
J77

Scotland 
You don’t get a voucher as such anymore, it’s just an email inviting you to book, I haven’t used any for the Defenders, just due to work, but the centre does email regularly to remind me. I went to Destination Defender which was better for me as they had a 90 on coils.

I’ve just received an email from Defender UK inviting me to book my experience Whistle 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1023438 3rd Feb 2024 1:14pm
norland

Re: Land Rover Experience day - I learnt lots!
Moo wrote:

4. Using Snow Mode in day to day driving and the things it gives you without really changing how your car drives.

Sounds like a very good day, and some interesting points. I have done the experience when I got my Discovery and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cars can do a heck of a lot more than I would ever expose my own to!

Curious what her thinking was behind using snow mode more often? That's a new one to me.
Post #1023464 3rd Feb 2024 4:56pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Yes l am interested in that as well, please elaborate!
Post #1023503 3rd Feb 2024 11:19pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Clemmo wrote:
Folks don't use the vouchers because the wait is just way too long!!
I have done the experience day and agree its a good learning day.

It's just made so difficult to actually use Big Cry

Clemmo

It’s a piece of cake. You phone up your preferred centre, give them your registration and just book on. I did mine within a month of booking.
Post #1023518 4th Feb 2024 11:04am
lightning

United Kingdom 
"The car is rear wheel biased in day to day driving"

l found this out when l had to cross a muddy field, and almost got stuck. l switched to another setting, mud & ruts l think, and the vehicle drove forward without further trouble.
Post #1023522 4th Feb 2024 11:43am
Moo

Ukraine 
Re: Land Rover Experience day - I learnt lots!
norland wrote:
Moo wrote:

Sounds like a very good day, and some interesting points. I have done the experience when I got my Discovery and thoroughly enjoyed it. The cars can do a heck of a lot more than I would ever expose my own to!

Curious what her thinking was behind using snow mode more often? That's a new one to me.

I can't remember everything but apparently it softens up the throttle and changes how the bias front and rear works meaning that in heavy weather, puddles etc it can help with aquaplaning and puddle 'catch'. Also it can help with pull away on steep slopes with how the bias reacts. Apparently you don't notice it working but it's doing good stuff in idiot speak.

Must admit taking Hold off is a big improvement. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023523 4th Feb 2024 11:44am
norland

That's really interesting. Might be to do with how the active driveline in the car behaves, disconnecting the front wheels at speed to save fuel. Thus explaining the 'rear bias ' comment.
Sounds like the instructors have found a way to make the car stay in 4wd and think it handles better that way!
Makes you wonder if the new system is as good as the traditional Land Rover always on permanent 4wd, for confidence on road in horrible wet weather.
Post #1023528 4th Feb 2024 1:43pm
Moo

Ukraine 
I've now done over 120 miles with Snow mode on and can't really notice much difference. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1023531 4th Feb 2024 2:55pm
J77

Scotland 
norland wrote:
That's really interesting. Might be to do with how the active driveline in the car behaves, disconnecting the front wheels at speed to save fuel. Thus explaining the 'rear bias ' comment.
Sounds like the instructors have found a way to make the car stay in 4wd and think it handles better that way!
Makes you wonder if the new system is as good as the traditional Land Rover always on permanent 4wd, for confidence on road in horrible wet weather.

It’s every bit as good.

Personally I wouldn’t use Grass, Gravel, Snow every day, if it’s wet weather then yes.

Here’s what each one does

Click image to enlarge
 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1023541 4th Feb 2024 4:54pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Our Jimny is part time 4WD as it has no centre differential.

That is, you can only engage the 4WD when it's a low traction surface and at other times it's RWD only.
I can't say l've noticed any issues with it being effectively a RWD vehicle on the road.
Post #1023545 4th Feb 2024 5:18pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
J77 wrote:
norland wrote:

It’s every bit as good.

Personally I wouldn’t use Grass, Gravel, Snow every day, if it’s wet weather then yes.

Here’s what each one does

Click image to enlarge

Does "differential control" mean locking the centre differential? lt doesn't mention anything specifically about changes in front-rear drive bias in the different modes.
Post #1023546 4th Feb 2024 5:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>