↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > LED lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Vmax

Gibraltar 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
LED lights
Need advice there so meny LED lights could someone recommend me which LED would be the best for my 110 please.
Post #1009050 26th Sep 2023 8:41pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Headlights you cannot do better than JW Speaker Evos, Noldens or Trucklites.

For the other external lights the kit by Wipac is excellent.
Post #1009052 26th Sep 2023 8:48pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Which lights are you looking to change to LED ?
Post #1009053 26th Sep 2023 8:49pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:

Are any of them actually legal on this age of vehicle? Thought you needed headlight washers and self levelling for them to be legal?

I'm a big fan of LEDs in general. Torches and electronics are another hobby. But I'll be honest and say I've never seen an aftermarket LED light that seems any good on a Defender.

They are all horrid cool white with a blue colour to the light and super poor CRI. They usually blind oncoming traffic, even when dipped, due to such a poor beam profile or one designed for LHD and driving on the other side of the road. And most just look horrid on something like a Defender and hugely out of place. The majority of Chinese import ones also carry fake E marks too.
Post #1009060 26th Sep 2023 9:31pm
Vmax

Ianh wrote:
Which lights are you looking to change to LED ?

Head lights brake ,reverse, indicators and internals white lights too.
Post #1009062 26th Sep 2023 9:46pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
geobloke wrote:

I agree with geobloke on the headlights (I have JW Speaker evo head lights) and also wipac for all other external lights.

All have past every MOT my 2013 110 has had.
Post #1009070 26th Sep 2023 11:32pm
Vmax

Excellent everyone for helping thank you very much.
Post #1009072 27th Sep 2023 12:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
... Are any of them actually legal on this age of vehicle? Thought you needed headlight washers and self levelling for them to be legal?...

This is quite an interesting question, and I believe that the answer is "probably not".

ECE Regulation 48 Part 6.2.9. "Other requirements" stipulates that "Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module(s) producing the principal dipped beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45.

The problem arises with the fact that very few manufacturers of aftermarket LED headlamps seem to specify the lumen output of the light. At least one supplier claims that the dip beam on its (fairly generic Chinesium knock-off copy of a JW Speaker) LED headlight produces a 2300 lumen dip beam, which, if correct, suggests that typically these units do produce a dip beam in excess of the 2000 lumen threshold and in this case the lights are required to have a cleaning system fitted.

Although not specified in the quote above, if over 2000 lumens there must also be a self-levelling system fitted, but this can be suspension levelling or light beam levelling but it must be automatic and not require the driver to twiddle a knob.

Furthermore to be legal the lights must also have been through the type approvals process specified in /ECE/324/Rev.2/Add.111/Rev.3 − E/ECE/TRANS/505/Rev.2/Add.111/Rev.3, Agreement Concerning the Adoption of Uniform Technical Prescriptions for Wheeled Vehicles, Equipment and Parts which can be fitted and/or be used on Wheeled Vehicles and the Conditions for Reciprocal Recognition of Approvals Granted on the Basis of these Prescriptions (Revision 2, including the amendments which entered into force on 16 October 1995) Addendum 111: Regulation No. 112 Revision 3 and carry the appropriate approval marks to indicate that they have done so. Inevitably many of the cheaper units have not and either have no approval marks at all or else have entirely fraudulent or incomplete markings.

Finally of course the lights must be capable of passing the beam test on the MoT test. Many of the cheap and non-legal LED light units will do this and will therefore pass the MoT test however that alone does not make them legal to use. The MoT test only checks the beam pattern and does not check for levelling systems, cleaning systems, nor approval markings.

All of the above applies equally to an LED light source (aka "bulb") fitted into a conventional light unit, however this is now specifically checked at the MoT test. (The type approval is only valid for a single particular type of light source and the approval markings indicate the type, hence the illegality of changing it).

It is however unlikely that you will get into trouble if you fit a good quality LED unit with the necessary type approval markings. Apart from the extreme difficulty now involved with finding the parts, there is of course no reason why you shouldn't fit headlamp washers.
Post #1009087 27th Sep 2023 8:54am
MatLandy

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
The Defender Celebration Series (Autobiography and Adventure) and were equipped from factory with LED Headlamps.
For RHD, product numbers are LR065432 or LR069118
For LHD, product numbers are LR065433 or LR069119
I believe they are made by Nolden.

/Mat
Post #1009110 27th Sep 2023 10:41am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Nolden headlights are definitley the best looking headlight for a Defender and the original fit Perei LED stop tail, indicator etc lights are far superior to the Wipac after market stuff. We find the Vision X headlights offer the best light output particularly with the combined dip and main option.
Post #1009114 27th Sep 2023 11:09am
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Plus one on the perei 95mm rear light upgrade, makes a huge difference and OEM fitment on the limited editions. Getting harder to find supply but i bought from DunBri

Headlights we have trucklites, i personally like the look and they work great on dark roads, only they do leave a dark spot immediately in front about 2m on dipped always pass the MOT and correctly marked.
Post #1009115 27th Sep 2023 11:30am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
MatLandy wrote:
The Defender Celebration Series (Autobiography and Adventure) and were equipped from factory with LED Headlamps.
For RHD, product numbers are LR065432 or LR069118
For LHD, product numbers are LR065433 or LR069119
I believe they are made by Nolden.

/Mat

And these, of course, were not fitted with washers, although I imagine that they may have had the usual manual level adjusters. Make of that what you will.
Post #1009117 27th Sep 2023 11:52am
DICKO1995

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tamar Blue
Can anyone help please
Hi,

Click image to enlarge

I’m having a nightmare with fitting Wipac led headlights, should be plug and play but not that simple (for me anyway)

So my problem is that I have power to the headlights but only seem to have a low beam. With one push forward on the stalk the low beam comes on, when pressing the stalk forward again nothing changes, as if the main driving beam is not working. The full beam/flash is working and so are the DRL’s which are wired to the led sidelights.

I’ll attach a photo of the Wipac fitting instructions.

The main beam does work when the brown wire (main beam) and the green wire (dipped) are touching each other with the earth plugged into the connector. So i know that the main beam does actually work but once the wires are put into the connector and connected to the car I only have a small beam of light for both clicks of the stalk.

Any help on this would be great. Could be me being stupid Laughing

Cheers
Post #1023300 2nd Feb 2024 11:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1