↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Turbo not coming in (occasionally)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Turbo not coming in (occasionally)
Not sure if anyone else had had the same problem, driving along the M4 at a steady 60 - 70, go to overtake and nothing, felt like I had hit the limiter. Stayed at same speed and when I pulled motorway at roundabout it was apparent the turbo had gone dead (having no cat / centre box its a bit more audible than standard) and performance felt like my old series 1, it would move and gather momentum but calling it acceleration would be overstating things!

Anyhow, parked up for 20 mins, came back and it drove as per normal. Until last night, lulling away in traffic I could feel turbo faltering then coming back on, happened a couple of time but again today its all normal. Can anyone suggest to a totally un-mechanical idiot what it might be, and more importantly how it can be fixed without having to resort to the main dealer!
Post #98900 9th Nov 2011 10:03am
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Iv had this problem a couple of times it will most probly be the electronic actuator attached to your turbo iv changed mine twice and it's fine now
Only thing is you can't buy that part on it's own it only with a complete turbo altho they sell returned ones on eBay but either way you look at it it certainly won't be cheap Neutral
Regards steve 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #98906 9th Nov 2011 11:04am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GREENI

United Kingdom 
We had a problem like this on a customers, though the tell tale sign was the hissing noise, the intercooler pipe had rubbed through on the steering uj Confused
Post #98914 9th Nov 2011 11:57am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
GREENI wrote:
We had a problem like this on a customers, though the tell tale sign was the hissing noise, the intercooler pipe had rubbed through on the steering uj Confused

Just had that sorted on mine - one of rather a lot of other issues (in fact picking it up AGAIN shortly!)!! Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #98915 9th Nov 2011 12:01pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
If it was the pipe, would not fail all the time, not come and go as mine does?
Post #98928 9th Nov 2011 1:39pm
Lorryman100

Have you had service bulletin LTB00254 Turbo modulator service link, carried out on your vehicle?

A similar issue:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic9000.html

Also:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic8995.html

Check the actuator arms on the reverse of the modulator for movement/sticking/corrosion. Also the wiring into the modulator as per CRJ's post above. The MAP sensor as well. Also the pipework at the Air box/inlet manifold/intercooler for leaks.

Brian.
Post #98941 9th Nov 2011 4:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Cheers Brian, have not owned it from new so unsure whats been done, as yet this is the first 'mechanical' issue I have had apart from the handbrake recall (checked but not needed) is there any way of finding out if its been done, and if not is it something I have to pay the main dealer for Shocked
Post #98943 9th Nov 2011 4:23pm
Lorryman100

I would go and check the things I have listed first to make sure it is nothing obvious, like a damaged harness/sticking actuator arms or an air leak. As to checking what has been done on the defender then the dealer should be able to tell you as works carried out will be stored on the LR database against the defenders chassis number.

Brian.
Post #98946 9th Nov 2011 4:31pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Just had a look and yes, it has the magnet in position and all connection / wires look fine. Cant see any damage to pipes but as yet only checked from above (it is pi**ing down here)
Post #98947 9th Nov 2011 4:39pm
Lorryman100

Do you have a nanocom? If so do you have any DTC's logged, tested or untested? Can you give me the Manifold pressure/MAP sensor pressure readings at tickover?
I'm curious to see if you have any Turbo overboost issues causing the Turbo variable vanes to fail safe to being fully open which will result in a marked power drop. The MAP sensor supplies this info to the EMS which in turn controls the turbo modulator which in turn controls the Turbos vanes, can you see where I'm going with this? Just a thought if nothing obvious stands out when fault finding, though the readings would be handy to prove or discount this hypothesis.

Brian.
Post #98999 9th Nov 2011 7:35pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
No alas no Nanocom, ridicules people have to buy one really Sad
Post #99001 9th Nov 2011 7:49pm
Lorryman100

Post #99005 9th Nov 2011 7:58pm
Kez

Isle Of Man 
Look interesting, can I see it in action Laughing

Sadly out of my budget but good luck with sale mate
Post #99070 10th Nov 2011 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1