↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Pressure?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ScarboroughSeadog

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Keswick Green
BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Pressure?
I've been running these big nobblies at whatever pressure the vehicle manual said (I forget the actual pressure just now). They are not good in icy road conditions, and after a bit of a slide today (heart stopping but controllable and no harm done) I wonder if I should be running them at a lower pressure? 110 double cab puma.

Maybe I just have to accept they are good in the mud, and not so good on the road....
Post #1021257 15th Jan 2024 11:10am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
What age are the tyres and what tread pattern exactly? BFG have offered many MT patterns over the years. Older tyres may also have gone a bit hard, which is common with BFG.

Ice is slippery no matter the tread, it'll be more about compound than anything.

Lower pressures can help as in any off road driving or slippery conditions, as it makes the tyre more pliable and increases its foot print. But I wouldn't expect it to perform miracles.

Driving technique is likely the biggest thing to address and reading the road conditions.

What sort of slide did you encounter and what sort of road condition? If it is very slippery out you'll want to engage difflock (remembering to disengage once on higher traction surfaces). And also use more engine braking than you might otherwise.

Read the road well ahead and give amble braking distances and don't enter corners too quickly and try and late brake.

On slippery surfaces a vehicle will move about a lot more, with 4wd you can utilise this for maximum traction. Watch any 4wd rally car on a loose surface and see how they take corners. Obviously you aren't racing and not trying to go as quick, but assuming there is sufficient room and it is safe to do so, some yaw angle while cornering can make it much easier to progress safely and in more control.
Post #1021260 15th Jan 2024 11:29am
ScarboroughSeadog

I’m not sure of the age and can’t see a date stamp, but oldish I suspect. Not sure if there is a pattern code, but they look like this.
When you say compound, you mean hardness of the tyre?
Classic road slide on icy untreated single track country road. No control under braking (and no ABS) but managed to bring under control off the brakes and steer out of the slide. Already a degree of engine braking at play which was helpful.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1021261 15th Jan 2024 11:54am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I can't see the thread in the photo or the model name on the sidewall.

I think it looks like a KM2, so at least a few years old and likely slightly harder now than when new. The current KM3 pattern uses a softer compound too.

MT's work well in fresh snow, but on ice will have less contact surface than an All Terrain.

Was it black ice you where on or more like a frosted white surface?

If it was low speed and truly uncontrollable, it sounds like it was just ice and most tyres would likely have reacted the same, with only true winter tyres and their special compound giving a distinct advantage. If you were going a little quicker, then it probably was just a combination of too much speed for the conditions.

At least you now know the limits of traction and can better gauge it for future driving. Smile

If it is slippery out I like to perform a brake test (check it is save, no one directly behind you etc). At slow to modest speed (walking/jogging pace). See if you can induce a skid/lock up and judge how slippery the surface is. If out on country lanes and backroads, be prepared that traction levels can drastically change if you drop a bit of altitude, run need a stream or river or on a generally damper stretch of road. If you know the road you should know the areas to slow down on, if you don't konw the road. Drive slower.

Overall, I doubt there is anything majorly wrong with your tyres. They should be able to offer enough traction to safely get from place to place in almost any weather condition. But they may not offer the same grip and traction as some other tyre types.
Post #1021263 15th Jan 2024 12:47pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
You probably know this, but a mud terrain is about the worst tyre type for icy cold damp roads. Playing with the pressure is probably not going to achieve a lot. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1021265 15th Jan 2024 12:53pm
ScarboroughSeadog

Thanks for that- just checked and they are KM3.
I live on a rural farm on a single track road, but which is usually well gritted. I always do a brake test and did so this morning- it was OK.
But, the incident happened on a similar road I am less familiar with, which in retrospect was not gritted.
I think I have to accept I was indeed too fast for the conditions (was late for a physio....). My bad- a useful reminder!
Good to know the tyres are probably OK at standard psi.
Post #1021266 15th Jan 2024 12:55pm
ScarboroughSeadog

Bluest wrote:
You probably know this, but a mud terrain is about the worst tyre type for icy cold damp roads. Playing with the pressure is probably not going to achieve a lot.

Yes- I certainly do now. Alternating with a Disco5 probably isn't best for comparison purposes either (it is excellent on slippy roads).
Not minded to change the Puma tyres so will have to just be more careful......
Post #1021267 15th Jan 2024 12:58pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Yes, if the Disco is on the OEM tyres they'll be all-seasons, which have a more sipes and are pretty good in the cold. Be unstoppable on full winters. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1021270 15th Jan 2024 1:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Those are KM3s and they are just not great in ice and snow.

You have three choices: 1 - live with it and drive defensively, 2 - use tyre chains when appropriate and drive defensively, and 3 - replace them with winter road tyres (and drive defensively) and accept that the latter will be worse in mud than the MTs are in ice and snow.

There are no snow and ice tyres which are good in mud. There are ATs (such as the latest KOs) which are OK in ice and snow and OK in mud. There are no mud tyres which are good in snow and ice.

You have to balance your needs, priorities and use. Airing down (or up) won't make any difference in snow and ice, and in snow generally a narrower section performs better than a wide section.

In the rare event of predicted snowfall round here I replace my 255/85x16 KM3s with a set of 7.50x16 XZLs, which as a mud tyre are still not great in snow and ice but being a narrower section are a vast improvement on the KMs. They are also small enough to allow for the fitment of chains, whereas the 255/85s are not - although I have chains for the 255s the damage to the bodywork would be extensive, so they are strictly lifesaving emergency use only.

Last edited by blackwolf on 15th Jan 2024 3:13pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1021281 15th Jan 2024 3:08pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Chicken Drumstick wrote:

If it is slippery out I like to perform a brake test (check it is save, no one directly behind you etc). At slow to modest speed (walking/jogging pace). See if you can induce a skid/lock up and judge how slippery the surface is. If out on country lanes and backroads, be prepared that traction levels can drastically change if you drop a bit of altitude, run need a stream or river or on a generally damper stretch of road. If you know the road you should know the areas to slow down on, if you don't konw the road. Drive slower.

Overall, I doubt there is anything majorly wrong with your tyres. They should be able to offer enough traction to safely get from place to place in almost any weather condition. But they may not offer the same grip and traction as some other tyre types.

Good advice, I thought I was the only one performing a brake test!

Unfortunately the council can't be relied upon to salt/grit even main roads. There was a temporary road closure on a windy A-road near to where I live only a week or so ago. When the policeman approached to inform me of the delay, I made a comment about that road not being gritted. He said, well, the council came past after the accident, it was around 8.30 am, which was a bit late for the car driver, who must have been traveling a tiny bit too quickly.

I've had s few sets of Bfg MT,s, although I don't recall their performance on the snow, but I didn't like them in the wet, they seemed a bit slippy. Bfg Macadams, I think they were called, were fantastic in the wet though, but that's what they were designed for, although probably useless in the snow and wet fields.
Post #1021282 15th Jan 2024 3:09pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Normal, basically keep speed down, but in ice whatever you have it’ll be no use.
KM3’s would be good in snow though, really good. But once it gets hard packed and freezes then it’ll be ice.
Best avoided driving in it where possible full stop, the thinker is it’s incredibly rare to have fresh now to drive through due to other traffic.
And then if not careful others will be around, they’ll get stuck and wheel spin all over the place.
And then guess who they will hope will help them out…

Then you could end up with a fortune in damage if anything goes wrong, at best your own loss at worst the other party blaming.

Though not snow related but, mud, I once towed someone out in goodwill and then a loaded van from a lane.
It was muddy, all went well but one problem a tree branch flicked up and ripped a hole in my wheel arch spat. Which was no once’s fault really, but I was only there because of them driving a car down a byway. Rolling Eyes
The driver assured me he would pay for it, gave my mobile number etc.
As expected never did respond…

Luckily not overly expensive to sort out but still very very annoying - so I avoid such situations at all costs now.
If you do end up in such a situation by no fault of your own, do get their registration number just in case, and in an ideal world dashcam, a witness or all three.
Best left to recovery experts, unless there is a danger to life or serious threat.

Otherwise you just may end up with a significant bill for damage that isn’t your own fault.

Tyre pressures on mine, Def 90, 255/85R16 KM2. 34F, 36R PSi.

I find 38 on the rear is too hard, 32 on the front a little low and encourages a little more shoulder wear on the tyres.
I find 34F & 36R ideal, but this is for a 90 and for this size tyre, and I much prefer this size over factory and it’s better off road. I have been off road on private land (permissible) these last few weeks and it has been incredibly wet and slipper and they’ve been superb. 235’s tend to dig a bit too much. The 255’s are just right.

KM3 will be my next tyres, unless anything else is released by then.
Price is significant though Shocked But, they are excellent, and LAST. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021326 15th Jan 2024 9:28pm
blackwolf

KM3s are really not good in snow, I am afraid, at least not if the snow is on tarmac. Snow on mud is a different story...
Post #1021342 15th Jan 2024 10:16pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Blackwolf - How would you say the KM3 compares to the KM2? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1021352 15th Jan 2024 11:52pm
blackwolf

On snowy tarmac they're not very different. On powdery snow there is no drama, but if the snow compresses to ice you can get some surprises. I personally think the original KM performed better than either the MK2 or MK3 in these conditions, and the fact that we tend to run wider tyres than in the old days doesn't help. My 255s are significantly less bad than they 285s I once had.

7.50 Michelin XZL or XCL in my view are much more predictable on snowy tarmac than 255 KM2 or 3.

The bottom line is when conditions are difficult, drive to the conditions and your skill/experience level and don't expect miracles from any tyres.
Post #1021366 16th Jan 2024 8:36am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
KM3s are really not good in snow, I am afraid, at least not if the snow is on tarmac. Snow on mud is a different story...

I’ve not driven the KM3 on snow. But I’d have thought they should be more than good enough to get from place to place safely in most conditions.

I do agree as a rule narrower is better in the snow. Although in most parts of the U.K. At least Midlands down, snow is fairly rare and never lasts very long. So the majority of snow driving is on fresh snow and the vast minority on compacted snow or frosted snow.

Over the years I’ve much preferred all of the MT tyres I’ve had on the vehicle at the time compared to any of the AT terrains for the snow we get. I’d place the MT’s above the All Seasons I’ve used too. Don’t get me wrong, a bit of polished compacted snow and MT’s are not the answer. But usually still enough ability to safely navigate.

I know tyre tests won’t agree with the above. But every tyre test I’ve seen or read is done in an attic region with heavy frosted snow, compacted snow and much lower temps.
Post #1021367 16th Jan 2024 9:34am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>