Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
LR Newbie - Diff lock question
hi,
I finally got a 07 Puma, and im generally having a wail of a time with it Smile

However, ive got an issue with the diff lock...

When I engage the diff-lock, i get no light ...
having done some researched on the internet, i decided i needed to check if its the light/switch or really the lock not being engaged.
So, I jacked up a front wheel, and attempted to turn it, with both diff lock engaged, and unengaged.
(my understanding being, that with diff lock engaged it should be impossible to turn, and unengaged it should turn - based on the princple rear wheel cannot turn)

so , bad news was, it didnt make any difference - i could turn the wheel, with diff lock engaged.
therefore i assume, its not locked...

now being a newbie, im a little unsure...
when pushing the transfer lever to the right (i.e. to unlock), it kind of springs back... when i push it to the left (i.e to lock) it stays a bit right) - there does appear to be 2 positions, but they are not quite as 'positive' as i would assume, especially the unlocked position.

going underneath the truck, i found the selector - and if i push that, i get the same spring back when pushing to unlock, and a more positive position in lock (though i believe due to tests above its not really locked)

any ideas, things to try... what might be wrong... and is the 'feeling' im getting on the transfer level correct?

thanks for any insights
mark

btw: high-low selection, works find in both locked and unlocked position
Post #98626 7th Nov 2011 7:57pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Hi again Mark.

Diff locks can a pain in the Censored , same as high/low ratio, if not used regularly.

On my 2009 I use DL quite a bit and have no problem with it engaging. Normally a firm push to the left (RHD) brings the light on.

The good news is that the DL probably needs adjusting, something a dealer can do easily.

I am sure an expert will be along with more information Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #98662 7th Nov 2011 9:17pm
big steve

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Montalcino Red
Firstly when you engage diff lock it only locks the front axle with the back therefore meaning the Diffs in the axle are still open so your wheels will still turn if you lifted two wheels one back and one grit then put it in first low the vehicle shouldn't move unless you have traction control ? This should comfirm your diff lock shud work 2015 2.2 tdci hardtop xs
3.2 conversion DONE 238bhp and 707nm torque and thats just the start ;-P
hybrid turbo in build -done ready to fit
ashcroft atb in transfer box
6 speed auto in build
Post #98663 7th Nov 2011 9:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

allways thought the design of diff lock was irish. You want it to power the wheels that have traction not the ones that dont. So in your example 2 wheels of the ground the car should move perfectly as the other 2 have 100% traction.

Or is it not that simple Mr. Green

Pom
Post #98668 7th Nov 2011 9:22pm
Martyn

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 PU Keswick Green
Have you tried engaging the CDL and driving forward a little? Mine moves in to position with quite a positive movement with nice clunk, but often the light only comes on after the vehicle has moved forward a few metres.
Post #98671 7th Nov 2011 9:35pm
TheTechnobear

Spain 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
thanks guys,

yes, i tried driving forward (and backwards Smile) in an attempt to get the light to light up... though have to say, when i jacked it up, i didnt.

when i jacked it up, i jacked up the using the pillar jack supplied, the front left, using the appropriate jacking point ... and also so it was just off the ground - so rear should still have been firmly planted Smile

there is no satisfying clunk, or as i mentioned, a really positive engagement - it all feels a bit vague.
(unlike, the gearbox... or switching hi-lo etc, which feels fine)

by the sounds of it, i might have mucked up the test by doing the selection stationary,
i might be best to try really engaging the diff lock - driving a bit... then jacking up...
( i guess im really trying to check its the transfer box, and not just the electronics)

i had been told, that it had not been used much, the suspicion was the switch was dud, but perhaps its just seized up a bit.
a case of use it, or lose it ...

i know someone with a td5, is the mechanism the same? perhaps i can go compare the movement of the selector on that, to movement on mine?

thanks again
Post #98682 7th Nov 2011 10:02pm
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Diff lock does feel vague compared to high/low.

When I push the lever over to engage it does spring back a bit but the light does come on,if not straight away it is lit after a few metres.

Try engaging in high and low, it may spring into life.

Next hurdle will be trying to disengage Thumbs Up

Bob
Post #98687 7th Nov 2011 10:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1