↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Replacement shock absorbers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
Replacement shock absorbers
Im currently rebuilding my defender 90 onto a new chassis and doing the ususal reaplacments on the way. Its not a heavy use vehicle and I dont do any off road with it , more winter roads and snow in scotland and a bit of towing. Just wondering about replacement shocks - there are good value no brand shocks @ £30 a corner which seem remarkably good value - I was wondering what the Terrafirma shocks are like in comparison for ride comfort + durability - TF117 LAND ROVER TERRAFIRMA SHOCK ABSORBER DEFENDER
Post #1020630 9th Jan 2024 1:02pm
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I recommend you use the "search" button. You ´ll get Censored loads of information. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1020634 9th Jan 2024 1:48pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Replacement shock absorbers
tankpeople wrote:
Im currently rebuilding my defender 90 onto a new chassis and doing the ususal reaplacments on the way. Its not a heavy use vehicle and I dont do any off road with it , more winter roads and snow in scotland and a bit of towing. Just wondering about replacement shocks - there are good value no brand shocks @ £30 a corner which seem remarkably good value - I was wondering what the Terrafirma shocks are like in comparison for ride comfort + durability - TF117 LAND ROVER TERRAFIRMA SHOCK ABSORBER DEFENDER

Personally wouldn't go Terrafirma. They don't tend to last very well.

For a budget shock the Britpart Celluar Dynamic shocks (the orange ones) are very good. They are twin tube and will be a decent upgrade for towing and hauling, yet still ride well.

If you are looking at ride comfort, you might want to consider switching to the blue 'comfort' Polybushes all round (Polybush the brand that is).
Post #1020647 9th Jan 2024 5:34pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Worth noting the main issue aimed at Terrafirma shocks is that the ring head on the rear shocks snap off.

This (and other makes) is due to a installation error of the fitter.

They snap off during articulation and the reason is this -

When fitting the lower shock mount tends to be installed first, then the top ring and the nuts tightened top and bottom.

During articulation, especial cross country the rear axle does not drop vertically straight down, it actually travels through arc towards the front of the vehicle. With the top nut wound up tight the head snaps off.

We used to see this on public driving days.

I (and advise) the top ring of the shock is mounted first, then as you tighten the nut swing the shock through an arc until the resistance is too much then back it off so that it is free to move. Then seat the lower pin and bolt up.

When i gave Frogs Island my car to train their staff on fitting the KAM locker/ LSD (Terrafirma had just bought KAM but didn't continue with that type if diff, its a lot of work to install) they gave me a set of their (at the time) yet to be released +5'' pin to pin four way adjustable shocks.

These lasted seven years through road, green laning and military navigation events.

I can recommend even in standard length the ability to tune in your shocks. I primarily used setting three for fast roads, one for fully off road and two was a great compromise on/off road. Setting four was too hard for our crap roads and mud terrain tyres.

I currently run OME +5'' and to be honest, i miss the adjustably.

Anyway, i hope that helps and fleshes out any 'their crap' answers that may occur. Go with your budget and remember any ring shock of any make will snap if fitted incorrectly. On road you wont notice, off road you will.
Post #1020649 9th Jan 2024 6:40pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This is my past 110 on the Scorpion Racing Novice Winch Challenge events that i used to take part in many moons ago. Fun days

The set up here is a 2'' inch lift. You can see that the shock is vertical which means that the axle that side has moved forwards in an arc.

If the top nut was too tight the head could have had the potential to snap off.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020651 9th Jan 2024 6:53pm
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the advice, I hadnt considered how mounting them might be an issue, good point.
I fitted Superpro polybushes when I bought the Defender and they are still in good condition after 14 years and 80k miles Thumbs Up
Post #1020657 9th Jan 2024 8:10pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
Worth noting the main issue aimed at Terrafirma shocks is that the ring head on the rear shocks snap off.

Nope. Have seen them rust to Censored in a short period of time as well as loose all damping effect. I'd also say when new they have been sub par too.

markb110 wrote:

When fitting the lower shock mount tends to be installed first, then the top ring and the nuts tightened top and bottom.

Not at all convinced of this. As all of the standard fitment shocks mount the same way. So it would sound more like a design error. Hanging the full weight of the axle off the shocks is probably what breaks them. Have seen other brands fail in this manner too.

Also when fitting rear shocks, it is generally far easier to fit the upper shock mount first, not the lower one. In fact due to the angle of the upper mount it would be super hard to fit them lower mount first. So I really doubt this is a common way of fitting them.
Post #1020662 9th Jan 2024 9:43pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Std puma gas shocks are very good. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1020880 12th Jan 2024 12:06am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Standard original fit, Bilstein, or Fox, would be the only three I’d be looking at really.

I just stick to standard fit, they last a very long time indeed. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1020955 12th Jan 2024 9:11pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I too think the standard shocks are more than adequate for ‘general use.’’

I actually have Terrafirma on the rear as they were ‘gifted’ to me and I’ve never had an issue. I spend the majority of my time ‘on road’ though. Aesthetically they have also faired well over many years.
When it comes to replacement it’ll be Fox for me.
Post #1021026 13th Jan 2024 3:13pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I'm not especially bashing Terrafirma, I have a set of +2" Terrafirma shocks on my p38 Range Rover, although I'd say they are little on the firm side ride wise.

My brother bought new Terrafirma +2 shocks for his 90 a few years ago. Then only about 18 months 2 years later we did a chassis swap on it. The front shocks where so badly rusted that we damaged them getting them undone. And the rears, while they looked a bit rusty, did come off fine. But the shocking here (pun intended Very Happy ), once off the vehicle you could see they had next to no damping effect. I assume they must have leaked or something and where in no state to go back on.

The shocks where replaced with the Cellular Dynamic shocks from Britpart. They have transformed the ride over the Terrafirma's, either laden, towing or empty.

Another friend also fitted Terrafirma shocks and springs to his 90 at a similar time. He went with their large bore shocks, which are significantly bigger. They seem to have lasted better, but the springs lost all their paint in under 12 months and got to the point that has has now had to replace them with another brand.

Some of their stuff might be good. But thus far I've not been overly impressed.

But I think it comes down to what you want from the suspension. On one of my other Land Rovers I used to run +2 Procomp shocks, that have taken a complete beating over the years doing competition 4x4 trials. I had one fail pulling the top eye off the body of the shock. But they had been on there for something like 12+ years.

I replaced them with the Britpart Celluar Dynamic shocks. In this instance the Procomps rode much better on rough terrain and felt a lot more supple. But the Land Rover used to lean and roll a lot. With the Celluar Dynamis the ride is now harsher, but handling is way better with a lot less lean and body roll.

I also have a set of gas standard length Bilstein shocks ready to go on another 90 which is currently running stock shocks. So it will be interesting to see how they compare. But I've not had chance to fit them yet.
Post #1021046 13th Jan 2024 7:02pm
mick

England 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Rimini Red
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
markb110 wrote:

Nope. Have seen them rust to Censored in a short period of time as well as loose all damping effect. I'd also say when new they have been sub par too.

markb110 wrote:

Not at all convinced of this. As all of the standard fitment shocks mount the same way. So it would sound more like a design error. Hanging the full weight of the axle off the shocks is probably what breaks them. Have seen other brands fail in this manner too.

Also when fitting rear shocks, it is generally far easier to fit the upper shock mount first, not the lower one. In fact due to the angle of the upper mount it would be super hard to fit them lower mount first. So I really doubt this is a common way of fitting them.

Sent some terrafirma shocks back after 3 weeks on my 130 absolute crap went Koni in the end
Post #1021068 13th Jan 2024 10:14pm
kenzle8a

I loved the Bilsteins on my 110, they are pretty firm but handle well, i towed very heavy horse trailer with them and did plenty of trips fully laden up to the Highlands and Islands.

I did the same trip in my tdv8 l322, i much preferred the Defender on Bilsteins.
Post #1021069 13th Jan 2024 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1