↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New to the Defender world - excited!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andytennett

United Kingdom 
New to the Defender world - excited!
Eagerly waiting delivery of a D300 - HSE X-Dynamic 90 Hardtop, as old age creeps in and modified sports cars becomes a distant memory the 90 is hopefully a sensible tow car and daily driver. Tax man friendly too.

Wanting to do a half bulkhead so dog isn't locked away and it will still be safe for transporting goods for my business. Anybody know of any kits?
Post #1020616 9th Jan 2024 11:12am
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Mudstuff.co.uk are in the works for a bulkhead delete set.
Maybe with a second bar above that gives air/roominess and some protection for load..
Just a thought. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #1020644 9th Jan 2024 4:36pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
What you must consider is if you alter the Bulkhead it may affect your insurance. I was going to remove mine ( as others on here have) LV insurance advised it is a modification they would not consider acceptable and I would have to insure elsewhere…. I left it as I was mid policy

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1020646 9th Jan 2024 5:24pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
andytennett wrote:
Tax man friendly too.

Welcome Andy and congrats on the upcoming Defender.

You mention it being tax man friendly but you may find, on top of Clemmo's comment about insurance companies viewing it as a modification, that HMRC may also decide you have altered the vehicle and made it less "commercial" and therefore negate the benefit you mention. Obviously they'd need to aware of the mod but it is worth considering.
Post #1020650 9th Jan 2024 6:43pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
You could fit a half height bulkhead with a mesh top part, or full height mesh bulkhead. This would allow more light into the vehicle and remove the black plastic wall behind the seats.

ln reality it's okay as standard because the interior feels spacious and you do have the mesh window in the bulkhead, but l would still like to fit a mesh bulkhead when one becomes available.

I can't see this being an issue as mesh bulkheads are common in small vans. Both my Transit Connect and Renault Kangoo van had this type of bulkhead, (as an option from the factory) with a swivelling passenger side for long loads.

ps the Defender D250 Commercial is an awesome vehicle, the engine is fabulous with so much torque. lt tows our 1,000kg caravan as if it isn't there.

You'll need side steps but don't pay £1,300 for the Land Rover ones. You can buy alternatives for around £200 and they are effectively the same.

l know as l've had both types on mine.

Last edited by lightning on 8th Mar 2024 9:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1020653 9th Jan 2024 7:15pm
andytennett

United Kingdom 
I’ve got a very good fabricator next door who’s offered to make a folding bulkhead, so I’ve put a wanted post up to see if I can get one ahead of my delivery so we can make a start on them.

Hopefully the Defender will play with our caravan - ours is nearly double that though and weighs in at touching 2ton 🤦🏻‍♂️

We went with the D300 as just taken delivery of a F-Pace with the D300 engine so we ended up upgrading our order to try get the spec as close to the F-Pace as possible Very Happy
Post #1020660 9th Jan 2024 9:06pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l would be interested in the folding bulkhead if a second one could be fabricated.

Your D300 will make light work of that caravan. Check out Harry's Garage review of the D200, he uses it to tow a classic Jaguar in a trailer and he says it's great.
So the D300 with 33% more power won't have a problem.

Please update me on the bulkhead design/fit and cost.

My D250 is the poverty specification and it's still really good, so yours should be very nice. Although l did specify the centre console and leather steering wheel/cold climate pack.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020665 9th Jan 2024 10:34pm
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
andytennett wrote:
I’ve got a very good fabricator next door who’s offered to make a folding bulkhead, so I’ve put a wanted post up to see if I can get one ahead of my delivery so we can make a start on them.

Hopefully the Defender will play with our caravan - ours is nearly double that though and weighs in at touching 2ton 🤦🏻‍♂️

We went with the D300 as just taken delivery of a F-Pace with the D300 engine so we ended up upgrading our order to try get the spec as close to the F-Pace as possible Very Happy

Censored ! I scrapped mine because nobody was interested and I didn’t really need to make it folding. Shame!! They’re not cheap, so hopefully someone out there still has theirs.
Post #1020679 10th Jan 2024 7:22am
andytennett

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
l would be interested in the folding bulkhead if a second one could be fabricated.

Your D300 will make light work of that caravan. Check out Harry's Garage review of the D200, he uses it to tow a classic Jaguar in a trailer and he says it's great.
So the D300 with 33% more power won't have a problem.

Please update me on the bulkhead design/fit and cost.

My D250 is the poverty specification and it's still really good, so yours should be very nice. Although l did specify the centre console and leather steering wheel/cold climate pack.

Click image to enlarge

He's said if I can get one first - we can then do them on an exchange basis, he's got all the tooling like CNC cutting facility so won't be a hacked in your garage job, will look OEM hopefully. He's on about a folding mesh upper.

I ordered exact same spec as yours - it looked perfect for what we wanted, that was back in August. Then took delivery of our F-Pace in September and that made me want more luxuries like we were getting used to. I sold my Ranger before Xmas and bought a proper poverty spec L200 - now thinking I don't need the luxury in the work vehicle. But am sure when it lands I'll change my mind and the luxuries that aren't needed will become the norm again.
Post #1020686 10th Jan 2024 9:22am
andytennett

United Kingdom 
Co1 wrote:
andytennett wrote:

Censored ! I scrapped mine because nobody was interested and I didn’t really need to make it folding. Shame!! They’re not cheap, so hopefully someone out there still has theirs.

I saw yours in the Advert section and was marked as sold. Wish I'd of known of the forum earlier and I'd of seen yours earlier Sad

Have you got any photos of yours with it removed?
Post #1020687 10th Jan 2024 9:23am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The D250 in "basic" specification makes a great Commercial Vehicle. l think it looks best with the steel wheels and in the Tasman Blue. (but l would, that's what mine is)

It's still got everything you'll need. The only downside it comes with a horrible plastic steering wheel. lf you order the "cold climate pack" for around £700 it gets a leather steering wheel plus heated seats, heated screen and a few other bits. l consider this an essential option.

However my previous vehicle was an old Defender so you may feel you want all the extras if you've come from a Range Rover.

Not sure it's worth paying extra for the D300 over the D250. l suggest you try both, if possible. l drove a D300 five seat version and there wasn't much difference between that and my D250.

But l suppose if you are towing a large caravan any extra will be worth having. Our caravan only weighs 1,000kg and the D250 barely notices it.
Post #1021008 13th Jan 2024 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1