↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Galvanised chassis - should it be painted ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
Galvanised chassis - should it be painted ?
Hello,

I'm about to fit a new galvanised chassis to a 90 Puma I've had for 13 years ( + surprised how corroded the original chassis is , esp the rear cross member, considering its been waxoiled and sprayed with dinitrol a few times ) , wondering about the pro's and cons of either leaving it galvanised finish, or painting it with zinc rich primer + black enamel ?.

I plan on fitting the inside arch guards from Glyn Lewis front and rear .

Recommendations for durable paint type would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance James.
Post #1020480 8th Jan 2024 1:41am
Leamreject

Italy 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Fuji White
It’s a personal choice thing. It’s always nice to see a galvanised chassis in its raw state because you know someone has invested in it, but a painted one is a nicer more expensive preference Thumbs Up Ride like you stole it!!
If I’m not on a bike it’s because only a 4x4 will do…
2011 2.4 Puma 90 HT
Post #1020481 8th Jan 2024 4:36am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
One advantage with painting it black, as in standard look, is that perhaps it's less tempting for thieves than one that's obviously galvanised and seen as more valuable.

Just a thought that crossed my mind.. 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW
2002 Discovery 2 td5 GS (gone)
1994 Defender 90 300Tdi CSW (gone)
Post #1020484 8th Jan 2024 7:37am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I would never leave one unpainted. Galvanising is not invincible, and a decent coat of paint will extend its life considerably.
Post #1020485 8th Jan 2024 7:46am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Paint will give another layer of protection, it will look good too. Galvanized products looks great when new, for a while, but then get a crusty look after the road grime, mud and salt have their turn. I used chassis black, three coats, sprayed.
Post #1020489 8th Jan 2024 9:08am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Galvanizing is a sacrificial coating, so the zinc will corrode to protect the steel. Luckily corrosion of zinc is very slow. As said, painting gives that extra protection - best paints are Epoxy based. Zinc needs special preparation for paint to adhere well.
Do not forget the inside - injecting wax or similar helps to prolong its life. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1020490 8th Jan 2024 9:18am
chopcat

Wales 2000 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Decent galvanising takes around 75 years before it needs maintenance so painting it is more of a look thing than corrosion protection. No one paints trailers or structural steel in buildings over galvanising.

But perhaps if you are hanging onto a car for 100 years it might be worthwhile thinking about it

CC
Post #1020492 8th Jan 2024 9:38am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Galvanised chassis - should it be painted ?
tankpeople wrote:
Hello,

I'm about to fit a new galvanised chassis to a 90 Puma I've had for 13 years ( + surprised how corroded the original chassis is , esp the rear cross member, considering its been waxoiled and sprayed with dinitrol a few times ) , wondering about the pro's and cons of either leaving it galvanised finish, or painting it with zinc rich primer + black enamel ?.

I plan on fitting the inside arch guards from Glyn Lewis front and rear .

Recommendations for durable paint type would be appreciated also.

Thanks in advance James.

Some paints don't stick well to galv.

Some people like the look of a silver chassis. Although over time the galv doesn't look so great. I do think on a serious note a shiny glav chassis is more of a theft issue on a Defender.

And the galv coating sacrifices itself to protect the steel. So I think protecting the galv is well worth it considering the cost of the swap.

You often see gates and trailers with areas or orange rust showing through the galv where it is offering less protection. It might take a long long time to truly fail. But it doesn't mean it will last forever either.

Click image to enlarge

If you want another option to paint, you can easily spray a galv chassis with Dinitrol to make it look black and a smart protective finish. It isn't as durable as paint, but is easy to touch up.
Post #1020504 8th Jan 2024 12:27pm
tankpeople

United Kingdom 
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful - would anyone know what a paint match for the original chassis black is ?, to match the original rear cross member . I think I'm going to paint the whole chassis and Dinitrol 4941 the inside of the rails etc.
Post #1020505 8th Jan 2024 12:30pm
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Definitley paint with mordant solution first and then Buzzweld galv in one, followed by Buzzweld WAR. Use a proper cavity dry wax inside box sections definitley NOT wet waxes like Waxoyl or Dinitrol which trap moisture and cause more problems.
Post #1020507 8th Jan 2024 1:00pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
i would always paint the rear crossmember and front dumb irons to hide the fact its been rebuilt.

bearing in mind how long an untreated (non galv non dipped coat etc) chassis from lr lasts with a whisper of paint on it i think folk worry to much about how long they will last.

now if it lives by the sea or works off road a lot, then yes i may well paint it for more protection otherwise save your money and spend it on something else.

if you are keeping it glav then lanogaurd or similar clear coatings work well and its what weve done on a mates 90.
Post #1020590 8th Jan 2024 10:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1