↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chequer plate question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Chequer plate question
Having had one corner of our "other" car shaved off recently, I have been thinking about getting chequer plate on the rear corners of the Defender (a Puma).

I can't find any decent pictures so please can someone tell me how far it reaches underneath the fold? There are the two small bolts (support and mudflap) which I guess will have to go through the drilled chequer? I have also bought Entreq mudflap strengtheners (not yet fitted) that I guess would have to go back?
Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers
Matt Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #98733 8th Nov 2011 9:00am
ZeDefender

Actually, don't worry - I ordered the chequer anyway so I'll just have to deal with it when it arrives Smile
Sorry - crisis of faith Embarassed
Cheers
Post #98735 8th Nov 2011 9:10am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Matt, IF you want to strengthen or protect the rear corners do not waste your money on chequer plate.

Get some rear bumperettes which have a 6mm scoop which golds alongside and underneath the rear corner.

Had a Volvo hit rear military once. Cracked paint on it and slight crease. Volvo? Needed new wing, headlight, bonnet, front grille etc.

Yes I am a big fan of protecting my vehicles Thumbs Up

So bin that chequer plate and get something which will be more useful, I.e. Rear bumperettes.

Brendan
Post #98743 8th Nov 2011 9:54am
ZeDefender

It's a great suggestion but unfortunately I already have a rear bumper/step/towbar thingy on the back. Sorry - should have made that clear from the start.
IMO it's a bit of a stupid LR design because it doesn't come round the corners enough to protect them (why?) but it's also got my parking sensors in it so I don't really want to change it.
I figured the chequer plate was the best "soft solution" I could do against repeated side scrapes from all the witless 80+ year olds in their Mercs around where we live (especially in hospital car parks Rolling Eyes ). No kidding, I have been seriously scuffed about 5 times in the last 2 years. I hope it will also double as a mudflap strengthener so I can send Entreq's back (sorry Olaf).
Thanks for the good advice though - I would certainly follow it if not for the junk already on the back Thumbs Up
Cheers
Matt

p.s. It's also entirely possible that bumperettes are not type-approved here in good old Deutschland - a lot of external accessories aren't Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #98746 8th Nov 2011 10:26am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Peter at Nakantanenga sell rear bumperettes, so I will assume he has checked out the type approval status in Germany.

Looking at the photos on his site, there does not appear to be as much as a 'scoop' which goes under the body work. That could be an artefact of the photo or a different design to what I am used to.

On our Puma we have aftermarket reversing sensors fitted. These are attached to the underside of the bumperettes step.

Brendan
Post #98748 8th Nov 2011 10:42am
ZeDefender

leeds wrote:
Peter at Nakantanenga sell rear bumperettes, so I will assume he has checked out the type approval status in Germany.

Looking at the photos on his site, there does not appear to be as much as a 'scoop' which goes under the body work. That could be an artefact of the photo or a different design to what I am used to.

On our Puma we have aftermarket reversing sensors fitted. These are attached to the underside of the bumperettes step.

Brendan

I deliberately ordered these before:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/370281047024?ssPage...1439.l2649
as they go right under (or so it says).
I can always send them back if they're crap.
I'll check out the Nak. bumperettes anyway in case I change my mind.
Thanks again
Post #98749 8th Nov 2011 10:52am
Bobble

United Kingdom 
I'd be careful of using chequer plate as protection against anything more than slight impact.
It's only really any good as protection against weathering/footprints etc.
Those shown above might stop the lower part of the wing being damaged, but I suspect all that'd happen is the wing would crease higher up instead, along the top edge of the chequer plate,(in the case of the 110 pictured that'd be right by the filler cap aperture)
Genuine protection really needs to fend off objects before they make contact with the thin body panels, and that usually means bumperettes, attached to part of the chassis.
Post #98911 9th Nov 2011 11:33am
ZeDefender

Bobble wrote:
I'd be careful of using chequer plate as protection against anything more than slight impact.
It's only really any good as protection against weathering/footprints etc.
Those shown above might stop the lower part of the wing being damaged, but I suspect all that'd happen is the wing would crease higher up instead, along the top edge of the chequer plate,(in the case of the 110 pictured that'd be right by the filler cap aperture)
Genuine protection really needs to fend off objects before they make contact with the thin body panels, and that usually means bumperettes, attached to part of the chassis.

Thanks - it's purposes are to stop old men and women rubbing up against me (yeeucchhh) in their euroboxes (it happens a lot round here- I live in a "retirement area") - not serious impacts. Also to strengthen the mudflap and support bracket, act as a repair (my son has dented it with his bike) and ... the wife likes the look of it!
I'm stuck with the slightly inadequate LR bumper (towbar, reversing sensors etc.) for now but we'll see...
Cheers
Post #98916 9th Nov 2011 12:02pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Been fine so far in our insanely tight Tesco car park. In fact I've done a trolley test and can't find an angle where it's not protected.

I have reversing sensors - they are called my eyes and if they fail me, my ears. WHACK! Ooh look, my tow bar had a small mark on it. Shame that car it has interacted with has folded in half. Twisted Evil

...I'm joking...

Mostly... Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #98919 9th Nov 2011 12:26pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I have chequer plate on the bonnet and wing tops and that's all it's getting. It's there as I use it for access to the roofrack(allright thats chequer plated as well, stops bits connecting with the roof Wink ) If there is a problem with incurring panel damage then something a bit stronger than chequer plate is needed. It's designed to be walked on so what good is it on a vertical surface?
Post #99043 9th Nov 2011 10:24pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
ZeDefender wrote:
It's a great suggestion but unfortunately I already have a rear bumper/step/towbar thingy on the back. Sorry - should have made that clear from the start.
IMO it's a bit of a stupid LR design because it doesn't come round the corners enough to protect them (why?) but it's also got my parking sensors in it so I don't really want to change it.
I figured the chequer plate was the best "soft solution" I could do against repeated side scrapes from all the witless 80+ year olds in their Mercs around where we live (especially in hospital car parks Rolling Eyes ). No kidding, I have been seriously scuffed about 5 times in the last 2 years. I hope it will also double as a mudflap strengthener so I can send Entreq's back (sorry Olaf).
Thanks for the good advice though - I would certainly follow it if not for the junk already on the back Thumbs Up
Cheers
Matt

p.s. It's also entirely possible that bumperettes are not type-approved here in good old Deutschland - a lot of external accessories aren't Sad

i'll have the entreq strengtheners?
Post #99048 9th Nov 2011 10:34pm
ZeDefender

Doh!
The chequer plates have arrived and look very stable and smart BUT they have cut-outs for the mudflap mountings Shocked
Looks like I will be using the Entreq strengtheners with them Rolling Eyes
Sorry T1G UP Sad Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #99071 10th Nov 2011 8:07am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Just out of interest, which ones did you buy? I quite fancy some of the ones that are parallel to the bottom edge of the wing but whilst I've seen them on peoples trucks, I haven't found pictures of any for sale Confused Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #99075 10th Nov 2011 8:55am
ZeDefender

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
Just out of interest, which ones did you buy? I quite fancy some of the ones that are parallel to the bottom edge of the wing but whilst I've seen them on peoples trucks, I haven't found pictures of any for sale Confused

The ones I got are here:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/370281047024?ssPage...1439.l2649
They go right under the wing, full-width, and have a cut-out for the mudflap bracket (exactly what I didn't want!). They also don't have a cutout for the wing support bracket bolt (a bit further forward) but drilling a hole in the chequer isn't so hard Wink
They come pre-drilled for the rivets, with rivets and with pre-attached sealing foam. You can choose the 2- or 5-stripe pattern. Very smart and pretty tough.
I would ask the supplier about the above if there is a "next time".
I'm going to fit them with the Nak. mudflap supports and a bit of extra butyl underneath (have fitted the supports just now as the wing was tearing already - Defender is only 6 months old!!!)
The company Off Road Service seems pretty good - I have bought quite a few items from them before and been very pleased (their diff-protector is very nice). Not really useful for the UK though...
Cheers
Post #99108 10th Nov 2011 11:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1