↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Optimate versus CTEK?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
BogMonster

Falkland Islands 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I have had a CTEK MXS 5.0 for a couple of years, no problems and use it regularly. Best one I own. Seriously thinking about a second one for another location so it isn't always in the wrong place Rolling Eyes

Also have an older Victron 7 amp auto charger (probably 10-12 years or so old) that I acquired for nothing and that seems good but isn't as advanced as the CTEK in terms of what it can do.

Finally I have a Maypole auto charger than on the face of it looks that it should work like the CTEK but is useless, and keeps shutting off, so you don't really know whether it has done anything or not (and frequently it hasn't). Shame as their dumb chargers are good, my 30 amp one is a Maypole and really solid. ---
2006 Defender 110 SW 300Tdi • 2011 Ford Ranger XLT crewcab • 2015 Defender 110 Station Wagon Utility TDCi
Post #1020655 9th Jan 2024 7:43pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
All helpful info ^ - thanks 👍
Post #1020669 9th Jan 2024 11:19pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I have the Ctek MXS 5.0 and (whisper it!) an Aldi Auto XS one another similar one I got from a now defunct shop called Clas Ohlson.

The 2 cheaper ones have maintained standard wet cell lead acid batteries for years for me with no problems. For maintaining healthy batteries they are absolutely fine. The Aldi one even has a display to show the actual battery voltage which I really like. Where they lag behind the Ctek is in their modes for charging AGM types, no temperature compensation and they don't have such sophisticated repair modes. They also only have 3.8amp max charge current so they can be a bit slow to charge heavily discharged batteries, but they do get there in the end. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1020672 10th Jan 2024 12:36am
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
To close this, I went for the Optimate 6.

There are clearly quite number of choices and thanks to you all for offering advice 👍

I don’t think there’s a great deal of difference between the main players, however my decision was based on research here and another forum, and the following considerations.

The reliability and my experience of the Optimate I’ve had for circa 15 years. It’s still going strong but it isn’t really man enough for the Defender battery.
The cost - I got a great deal on the bay of E. The seller made me an offer.
The LED display - very clear and easy for me to see from some distance across the garage (from outside actually).
Straight swap for my cabling/plugs.

All working fine 👍
Post #1021925 20th Jan 2024 6:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12