↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > D250 90HT v’s Kia Sportage Hybrid!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Co1

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Loire Blue
D250 90HT v’s Kia Sportage Hybrid!!
Just dropped my defender in at LR for a warranty job. 15 miles or so away and averaged 34mpg. Got a Kia hybrid courtesy car to come home in. Nice enough, did a few chunks of the journey in pure EV mode. But surprisingly I only averaged 38mpg. I can’t see the point in all that development and tech if 38mpg is the result.

I had a 1990 Peugeot 205 that got better fuel economy, in fact I don’t think I’ve ever owned a non 4wd car that is worse that the Kia on fuel. Given the amount of carbon used to manufacture the battery tech, plus the environmental impact of mining the minerals, I’d love to see a 10 year comparison of the carbon used in manufacture and operation of my 90 v’s this Kia. Am I missing the point?
Post #1020182 5th Jan 2024 10:00am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
When wifey was looking to replace her Velar with a newer model we tested the petrol hybrid the dealer in Cornwall let us have it for a couple of hours.

Yes the acceleration was impressive, yes it was a novelty to drive in ‘stealth mode’ but for her drive to and from work the battery range won’t have covered a one way trip, nowhere to charge it at work and the mpg on petrol alone was 33 mph and the car felt heavy, sluggish, boring and dare I say unsafe if you needed to change lanes quickly. Yes I know that not how you are meant to drive a hybrid but we were shocked by how much dead weight the vehicle is carrying.

The diesel MHEV on the other hand is light spritely and returns on day to day driving 42 mph, more on a longer run.

The cost difference just wasn’t worth the expense especially as she changes vehicles roughly every three years.
Post #1020184 5th Jan 2024 10:24am
Co1

Feels I bit like The Emperors New Clothes!

Last edited by Co1 on 5th Jan 2024 11:55am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1020186 5th Jan 2024 11:07am
lightning

United Kingdom 
The hybrid vehicles only make sense on shorter journeys. My friend had a Volvo XC40 hybrid and his commute is around 13 miles.

He's averaging 124mpg (not counting the cost of electricity to charge it)
Post #1020190 5th Jan 2024 11:24am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
My 2014 BMW 3 series easily does 70 mpg(uk), even better when hypermiling (60mph).

But this is from the times that CO2 emissions were important, today's flavour is partial emissions so I can't drive my car anywhere I would like to.

My P38 running on LPG barely makes 15 mpg, but it is classed as clean so all is fine.

They keep moving the goalposts.
Post #1020199 5th Jan 2024 11:48am
Tim in Scotland

Not quite in the same league as a Defender PHEV but I ran a Mini Countryman PHEV from 2018 to 2020
It had a tiny battery around 8kWh with a claimed electric only range of 28 miles but I rarely got over 21 in summer and as low as 12 miles in winter.
The ICE side was a 1.5ltr 3cylinder turbo petrol that was silky smooth and unless you watched the Rev counter it was hard to tell when it had cut in but…………. The electric side could run up to 83mph but not for long and then the ICE was a bit limp lugging around the extra 150kgs of extra motor and battery. I could run fully ICE, fully EV or use both power sources. My biggest concern was doing 60mph for 20 minutes and the charge was nearly gone a stone then the cold ICE would start up at high rpm which gave me concern as to what the longevity of a PHEV ICE motor would end up being.

Here is my Fuelly.com record for a lot of the time I had the car. Unfortunately it wasn’t possible to separate pure EV from pure ICE mpg.

Click image to enlarge

Now here is the Toyota Corolla 1.8ltr Self Charging hybrid Stationwagon I hired in Norway and drove from Bergen to North Cape and back to Bergen in a month - almost as efficient as the Mini but bear in mind that Norway’s speed limits are relatively low - most rural roads are 90kmph and the motorways 110 or 120 kmph.

Click image to enlarge

My present 2nd car is a Mini Cooper S E , the fully electric one, and when I convert my fuel efficiency from miles/kWh to miles per gallon equivalent I’m averaging 150 mpgE or just short of 4miles/kWh at the moment and regularly see 5miles/kWh in summer and that is equivalent to 200mpg……. And I pay 7.5p/kWh in off peak to charge and charging is free in summer from my solar panels.
To drive my D250 90 into the nearest shops is a 32 miles round trip - costs approx £7 in diesel (1 gallon at 32mpg) and the Mini costs £1………… Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1020219 5th Jan 2024 3:45pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Interesting as I did a run back from London over Christmas in the BMW (ULEZ compliant) with a dead flat battery. As I topped it up with fuel at the start of the M3, it can show journey data from refuelling

I was hoping for near 40mpg but could only achieve 36.1mpg from the 295hp 6 cylinder petrol 2.5tonne lump. I've seen higher on a longer trip but I wasn't driving so I was somewhat suprised with only 36.1mpg. I can only assume the colder temparture took its toll. The last time I did the same trip / refuelled at the same station it was 32mpg but I came back at 80mph

I fill the car up every 3-4months or so, roughly every 3k miles. Its never completely empty, I just feel the urge to put some fuel in. it took £67 to fill it up recently
Post #1020284 6th Jan 2024 12:23am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Tim in Scotland wrote:
that is equivalent to 200mpg……. And I pay 7.5p/kWh in off peak to charge and charging is free in summer from my solar panels.
To drive my D250 90 into the nearest shops is a 32 miles round trip - costs approx £7 in diesel (1 gallon at 32mpg) and the Mini costs £1…………

Its too difficult to work mine out due to the PVs, FITs and storage batteries.
Post #1020285 6th Jan 2024 12:34am
Moo

Ukraine 
My 110 D250 in roughly 21,000 has averaged 27.9mpg over mixed driving, however, I didn't buy it for its fuel economy. Confused Laughing Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1020286 6th Jan 2024 1:04am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
I didn't either. Hence I'm not bothered, well apart from the fact I didn't manage 40mpg (which I thought it might).

What I did want was reliability, customer service, boot for the dogs, and eco travel when I'm running around town.

Quite like the Fisker Ocean or the ID Buzz as a replacement for the Volvo when the time comes. That will keep the "oil burners" happy.....
Post #1020288 6th Jan 2024 1:25am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Just an add on to my comment above, following the test drive of the Velar PHEV we also looked (online) at the Audi Q5.

Hidden in the spec small print was the fact that you cannot fit a tow bar. So for so called sport utility vehicle you can’t used a rear bike carrier, or tow a small trailer for holidays or tip runs.

This is because of the placement of the battery. How many others are like that I don’t know.
Post #1020296 6th Jan 2024 11:38am
lightning

United Kingdom 
No way!
Good job l didn't buy one of those then.

I can get over 40mpg from my MHEV D250 Defender 90 on a run, but not if l am towing the caravan! Still managed 26mpg though.

My old Defender TD5 110 returned about 25mpg whatever you did with it. Towing, round town, motorway....the only time we managed more was touring Spain where we averaged 55mph and it did 32mpg
Post #1020297 6th Jan 2024 11:48am
Co1

Yeah, my old tdci was the same. 27-28mpg no matter what you did!!
Post #1020320 6th Jan 2024 7:15pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
Just an add on to my comment above, following the test drive of the Velar PHEV we also looked (online) at the Audi Q5.

Hidden in the spec small print was the fact that you cannot fit a tow bar. So for so called sport utility vehicle you can’t used a rear bike carrier, or tow a small trailer for holidays or tip runs.

This is because of the placement of the battery. How many others are like that I don’t know.

Had one on our Outlander PHEV but didn't add one to the BMW or the CHR. Never used on the PHEV and thought it an expensive item as our other two vehicles both have towbars.

Both the BMW PHEV and CHR Hybrid can have towbars fitted.

Just built a hybrid Q5 and selected the towbar option on the configurator. The towbar option on the Velar P400e is somewhat odd. Yes you can under previous model (21MY mentioned) but it appears to be linked with the panoramic sunroof option. Seems they all have the sunroof when playing on the configurator

Quote:
....I have checked and the retailer is correct that the Velar P400e no longer has the option (tow bar) for a panoramic sunroof

Seems to be a Landrover thing
Post #1020347 7th Jan 2024 12:17am
pjm-84

United Kingdom 

Click image to enlarge
Post #1020348 7th Jan 2024 12:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>