↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Customers 'lose money in Derby Land Rover dealership flood
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Customers 'lose money in Derby Land Rover dealership flood
Customers 'lose thousands' in Derby Land Rover dealership flood.

Interesting read https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-67866072

In particular the right off of this vehicle

Kevin Caley's five-year-old Jaguar I-PACE electric car was in for a battery replacement under warranty.

He said he was told by Inchcape his car was up a ramp, clear of the water, but the battery was on the floor when it flooded.

"They said the battery was under water and therefore it wasn't worth repairing the car," he said.

"But from my point of view, the battery was either my old one, which was scrapped or a new one, which they hadn't fitted, so still part of their stock." For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #1020120 4th Jan 2024 5:37pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The part I'm failing to grasp with this situation is why arent the vehicles covered under the dealers insurance?

If the owner has handed over the vehicle to their safe keeping, why should it then be the owners responsibility to fix the situation?

And another great PR disaster for the brands which JLR themselves dont seem to give two hoots about 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1020127 4th Jan 2024 6:10pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
I would think the chap with the I PACE has a very good argument

JLR showing their customer commitment and service again.....
Post #1020128 4th Jan 2024 6:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Typical misreporting that Inchcape is writing off vehicles, only the insurance company that insurers a vehicle can decide to write it off.

I do think that the I-Pace dude makes a very compelling argument but again it is an interesting scenario, since the new battery would belong to Inchcape whilst on the floor and Inchcape's insurance may not cover it. I can foresee lawyers getting wealthier yet again.

I have to say I'd be absolutely livid if that happened to me and I would be raising the mother of all stinks! I wonder if a case can be made that Inchcape was negligent in its duty of care, since this probably would transfer liability.
Post #1020129 4th Jan 2024 6:39pm
tonyp

United Kingdom 
I too would be livid - telling customers to claim on their own insurance is unacceptable, these are not back street garages we are dealing with.

When we park a car in public car parks we accept the notice that states the owners accept no liability for loss or damage. However when I leave my car with a main dealer I expect them to take full responsibility for any damage whilst in their care irrespective how caused.
Post #1020145 4th Jan 2024 9:21pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Interesting article.

My take on this is if the Main Dealer - Inchcape - doesn't have the vehicles insured whilst on their premises, this needs to be relayed to the customer before they leave their vehicle with them.

If the garage burnt down, or someone reverses into my pride and joy whilst it is their care, I would expect them to take charge and sort the problem.

For once, I don't think this is necessarily an issue for JLR (although as public relations goes, it's not making them look good). It is Inchcapes Garage, the cars were left in Inchcapes care, in my opinion, JLR are not at fault. Could JLR of handled the situation better - of course so but we all now what their customer care is lacking.

Seriously, how many customer cars are we actually talking about? 20? 30? It's nowhere near a Luton Airport Car Park disaster is it?

Strange twist to that story, it reports that the customers have to claim from their own insurance, but then says they need to deal with Sedgewicks. This isn't the kind of company me and you go to to get a quote on our cars. This will be Inchcapes Insurer. There are a few bits to this story that don't add up. Maybe the customers insurers have to counter claim Inchcapes insurers (in the same way you would in a multicar nose to tail shunt)?

Yes, I also agree the Guy with the iPace does seem to have been taken for a ride. Interesting that without the battery, the car is a right off. Not what we are led to believe of battery vehicles.
Post #1020150 4th Jan 2024 9:38pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I don’t recall any news stories like these when the workshop at Stafford LR burnt down. 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1020159 4th Jan 2024 11:05pm
s55shh

United Kingdom 
their own insurance would only kick in if they were negligent. Our insurance wouldn't pay out for a 55 customer car fire in 2002 as one of the cars caused the fire (suspected alternator fault on a car owned by the alternator manufacturer funnily enough).
Post #1020175 5th Jan 2024 9:17am
RDR

United Kingdom 
I never thought about the car coming under dealer insurance if I left it with them I always presumed it would be under mine just like if I left it anywhere else if they were driving it on the roads I would then expect the driver to have suitable cover. I caught my RR left unlocked outside the workshop last year so locked it with the App they called me next day the key was in it Laughing 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1020176 5th Jan 2024 9:28am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
So if your car gets stolen with the key in the car, your insurance company will not pay out. It’s as simple as that.

So with your assumption that your car is covered by your personal insurance whilst at the dealership, does this not cause you a little concern? It would me. And their cavalier attitude to your property would concern me also. Even my local Polish Car Wash takes the keys out of the cars.

You may also wish to read the small print of your insurance because on most insurances there are many places where your car is not insured. I got in hot water many years ago as I was working at an airport and parking my car ‘air side’ (this was pre 9/11) and on reading my documents, I was actually uninsured. Now not likely to have my car stolen but any damage caused by me or others would not have been covered.

I’m sure with the amount of flooding in the last couple of months, car loss in motor traders premises is not going to be unique.
Post #1020192 5th Jan 2024 11:25am
RDR

United Kingdom 
That’s why I locked it when I noticed and raised issue with the dealer when we spoke the next day. I just never really thought it would be on their insurance whilst parked up. Mrs RDR is always leaving the car unlocked in public places the unlocked warning on the app is a god send Laughing 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1020194 5th Jan 2024 11:29am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
s55shh wrote:
their own insurance would only kick in if they were negligent. Our insurance wouldn't pay out for a 55 customer car fire in 2002 as one of the cars caused the fire (suspected alternator fault on a car owned by the alternator manufacturer funnily enough).

So by logic the insurance of the alternator computer would pay out, as their customer "caused" the fire. However it is not uncommon for insurance companies to apply a knock-for-knock principle where each insurance covers their loss. Most likely because amongst each other they agreed that is cheaper,... never mind the customers
Post #1020195 5th Jan 2024 11:32am
s55shh

United Kingdom 
the company that owned the offending car removed it very quickly before it could be inspected.
Post #1020197 5th Jan 2024 11:44am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
... I got in hot water many years ago as I was working at an airport and parking my car ‘air side’ (this was pre 9/11) and on reading my documents, I was actually uninsured...

Airside insurance has always been a problem and hugely expensive! I encountered this issue some years ago and was told it was because of the perceived risk that you somehow cause a plane to be lost or damaged since the claim could be tens of millions.

I imagine the same problem will soon apply to multi-story car-park insurance for hybrid and EV JLR vehicles.
Post #1020198 5th Jan 2024 11:46am
Linds Hanson

United Kingdom 
Apparently the garage was built on a known flood area and was forced through planning! The owners of the damaged cars are not allowed access to view? Several owners have had immeadiate claim rejection by their own insurance companies because the vehicles had safety related faults which made them unfit for use so not covered! High demand/value sales vehicles had been moved just in case of flooding!
Post #1020200 5th Jan 2024 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>