↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Brake Overhaul
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
Brake Overhaul
Although my brakes are generally good through general maintenance and checking I am suddenly aware that there are some quite old components in the system which maybe design life expired.

In recent memory it has has the following new parts:
Master Cylinder
Servo
Vacuum pump
Various callipers (as piston corrosion warrants when changing pads, too frequently).

The main parts that are of considerable age and a concern are the flexible brake lines, I still have the rubber original looking ones which I haven't changed in nearly 12 years of ownership.

I am thinking of replacing these with braided stainless ones as they seem to be a better solution (not too bothered if I don't get any real improvement by doing this although new lines giving under pressure should be less ).

Next on my hit list is to rebuild the callipers with new seals (genuine) and stainless pistons (again I'm not expecting any sort of braking improvement with this but it should make future maintenance easier).

Then it comes down to the question of which brake pads to use, the Defender is obviously heavy but more so as it has a winch, full rack and roof tent, 40l in vehicle water tank (for long trips) and soon (hopefully) a long range fuel tank and possibly wing tank.

I was considering the LOF Powerspec pads (already have the clutch and it has been great) but they are only listing pads for the rear of later vehicles (I believe these are thicker and wont fit).

Do LOF do rear pads for a 300TDI? Are there others to consider?

I think the pads is where I can expect to get a bit of extra potential as currently running Mintex from memory.

Lastly, is there anything else (other than inspecting the hard lines that I should be considering?

Many thanks for reading this far and for any responses. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #1019418 28th Dec 2023 11:31am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
IMO if you want something a step up from the OE mintex / ferrodo then I'd always say EBC ultimax

Once bedded in I've found them to be a good pad that stops well. I did a complete brake job on mine a few months back and used EBC pads and discs and now they have bedded in the performance is great and i'd reckon better than factory standard. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #1019431 28th Dec 2023 2:10pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I've used ebc before on other vehicles with no problems, but had to take them off my 110 as they didn't work when cold. I've put in mintex which are much better and perform normally. It could be that the ebc aren't not suitable for the discs I have, perhaps.
Post #1019467 28th Dec 2023 9:48pm
cechurap

Czech Republic 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Alpine White
I had EBC green stuff on the rear of my 110 and they definitely don't work together with Delphi discs.. they were squeaking horribly Crying or Very sad I was hoping, that they will be bedded after some time.. but after 2000km I had to change them .. the noise was like train comming to station, every time I use the brakes Sad
Post #1019480 28th Dec 2023 11:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1