↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > 4wd with good tyres Vs 2wd with snow chains
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
4wd with good tyres Vs 2wd with snow chains
So for another project I'm looking into has anybody got any idea how a standard 4x4, a Defender if you like, with good tyres, would compare to a rwd vehicle with snow chains fitted. Specifically I'm looking at a Mercedes Benz vario, so twin wheels, or a Mercedes Sprinter rwd single wheel. I appreciate that the vario would be much heavier. I'm thinking European snow covered roads in winter and having never used chains I'm not sure how they'd compare, like for like. I'm guessing that when it comes to hills that the weight would make a big difference. Thanks.
Post #1018682 18th Dec 2023 6:38pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I have done s lot of snow driving in Norway, Canada and Alaska. Snow chains are not viable for driving any distance, they are there to get you out of a hole and you are pretty deep in it if you have to take snow chains out. Think more getting out of a deep snowy verge onto a main road.

You kinda screwed up already at that point, and be the laughing stock of the locals.

Typically you would have to deal with compacted snow which is less slippery than black ice, but can easily catch you out. You be relying on having the right tires, the right driving technique (speed) and experience. For normal travelling 4 wheel drive is not really all that beneficial. In fact in Norway the insurance premium is higher for 4 wheel drive cars as they are involved more in accidents. Having 4 wheel traction and 4 wheel braking means you tend to go faster and further (up the hill) so your braking will be less effective once you need it. Basically a 2 wheel drive car will show the limits of safe driving earlier with still having 4 wheels left for braking.

I used to get by fine with 2 wheel drive and when I had a 4 wheel drive car it would mainly be useful for "the last mile" to a cabin in the woods, which you know in advance.

It sounds a bit boring but when you live with snow you just adjust your driving and wait for the snow storm to be over and the roads to be reasonably cleared..
Post #1018688 18th Dec 2023 7:25pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The literal answer is that a 2WD with chains will run rings round a 4x4 without chains under many conditions, but as noted above there are practical drawbacks to chains (and constantly fitting and removing them is but one).

Many years ago (about 40) I'd gone to an AWDC trial at a site I cannot recall in my 1600 Cortina. The parking field was quite steep and very wet grass, and when everyone started to leave almost everyone was having real trouble. Several vehicles simply slid to the bottom of the hill, at least one S1 Land-Rover fell over at the bottom. I was getting "no chance" pitying looks as I started my 2WD "Reptina" and a small crowd gathered to watch me fail spectacularly. I however fitted the tyre chains I had in the boot and was then able to drive up the hill and out with no wheelspin whatsoever, past several Rangies and the like, which were slithering all over the the place. It was a satisfying moment!

There have been several occasions when I have chained up on a Defender or S1, but only one has been on tarmac. That was a long hill which had a sheet of thick ice from top to bottom and would have been impassible upwards and lethal downwards without either chains or possibly studded tyres.
Post #1018699 18th Dec 2023 8:43pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
A point to consider with twin rear wheeled vehicles in extremely cold conditions is that snow can compact between the wheels, turn to ice and build up. Then it's out with the pick-axe...

Peter
Post #1018705 18th Dec 2023 8:58pm
blackwolf

Chains for twin wheels are also harder to obtain and tend to be significantly more expensive than singles. They are also harder to fit.
Post #1018706 18th Dec 2023 9:13pm
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
Thanks all for the replys!
Post #1018715 19th Dec 2023 12:03am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: 4wd with good tyres Vs 2wd with snow chains
MarkBrown wrote:
So for another project I'm looking into has anybody got any idea how a standard 4x4, a Defender if you like, with good tyres, would compare to a rwd vehicle with snow chains fitted. Specifically I'm looking at a Mercedes Benz vario, so twin wheels, or a Mercedes Sprinter rwd single wheel. I appreciate that the vario would be much heavier. I'm thinking European snow covered roads in winter and having never used chains I'm not sure how they'd compare, like for like. I'm guessing that when it comes to hills that the weight would make a big difference. Thanks.

[url] ?si=PuV2Ulqg_lrx_zQQ

Worth a watch. [/url]
Post #1018734 19th Dec 2023 3:56pm
blackwolf

Don't go anywhere near snow "socks" if you want to retain any self-respect or credibility! Rolling with laughter

They exist only to allow people to make fools of themselves on social media.
Post #1018739 19th Dec 2023 4:38pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Even with single chains on double drive wheels you are going to be able to get to most places. Even in very icey countries they use auto chains which only work on the single inner tyre.

4X4 and full chains will get you very far, and able to have fun.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1018743 19th Dec 2023 5:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1