↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Long term effects of remapping/vnt turbos
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ibexman

United Kingdom 
Long term effects of remapping/vnt turbos
Whats the long term effects of vnt turbos and remapping ie cooked manifolds blown head gaskets any stories
Post #98220 5th Nov 2011 1:11pm
Lorryman100

You don't need a remap to get a leaking exhaust manifold. A couple of members on here have had issues with blown and warped turbo flanges and don't have a remap. The companies who supply these remaps (I'm talking Alive and BAS here) balance everything to give you a safe remap, remember the average basic remap only gives between 25 and 30 bhp increase. The engines OEM map file is in place to take account of Euro emissions and mpg, bhp etc. The engines are basically de tuned to get them through the stringent emission laws we have Brussels to thank for. Other considerations are wear on gearboxes and running gear, the extra fuel use due to your right foot and subsequent big grin the remap gives you.

Just my tuppence worth Whistle

Brian.
Post #98251 5th Nov 2011 4:43pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve B

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Hi,

Depends on the state of tune, more power=less life

Although that is not strictly true Confused I wonder how many tuners measure cylinder pressure during their remapping? None at a guess. If you remap an engine and increase the cylinder pressures to dangerous levels then sure you are going to have problems.

I am not too hot on diesel engine tunes but I guess if you are well into the smoke point with too much fuel the the cylinder pressures are going to go up.

On petrol engines we fit pressure transducers into the combustion chamber so we know exactly what is going on.

Also depends on the engine, with all its problems aside once these have been addressed the TD5 looks like it handles a large increase in power without problems. Figures of well over 200bhp have been quoted but for long term reliability I would probably limit the power to somewhere between standard and max available. 170-180bhp for a TD5?

My friend who have a factory tuned L200 mitsubishi has just had a head gasket failure at 40,000mls. And reading the internet this is common.

It will be interesting to here from someone who really knows their stuff Smile

Steve 
Post #98252 5th Nov 2011 4:44pm
Lorryman100

The thing is with the duratorq engine you are limited by how much fuel pressure is available at the rail due to the pressure limiting valve activating at 1800bar. So with a working pressure of 1600bar there is not a lot of room for tweaking and this is why generic remaps fall flat on there face next to a personal remap from a LR dedicated tuning company. When I had a few maps from Gary you could see the proof of the pudding displayed on the live data, the factors that had been changed and by what amount. Also add in a EGT reading for each map then you see the negligible differences in the standard tune and the remapped file. As to smoking, if the boost pressure matches the fuel pressure then it won't throw out black smoke, only over fuelling causes this and it is common with generic plug in remap boxes as they only boost the rail pressure without taking any other factors into consideration. I too had a Mitsubishi factory power upgrade in my Shogun and that was a Ralliart plug in module which made the shogun smoke like a tyre fire under heavy acceleration. It came out soon after I noticed the smoking and higher fuel use.

Brian.
Post #98253 5th Nov 2011 5:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I had my TD5 2002my remapped just over 2 years ago, I've done close on 40k miles since the remap which was a stage 1 and it was measured at 173hp. Apart from oil in the injector harness and injector seals I've had no issues with it. The seals and oil in the loom are common faults whether remapped or not, the trucks life is varied, I offroad with my local club, it's used for work round a farm, towing anything from a caravan to a 2,9tmini digger(which with trailer is hovering around the max weight anyway Whistle )

I'm sure the techies will be able to say more but one of these days I shall be looking into a stage 2 with no qualms at all, as long as it is done by a reputable company.
Post #98257 5th Nov 2011 5:05pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
I think mapping combined with certain hardware add-ons actually extends the life because the engine runs cleaner and more efficiently. Also, people who take an interest in these things are more likely to change the oils sooner and use better quality lubricants, again extending life.
Post #98274 5th Nov 2011 6:00pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
I've got a VNT with a stage 2 remap large intercooler etc (IRB) around 190bhp, had it around 14 months. I can't say I get anymore smoke than standard. Its done nearly 100,000miles with regular oil changes, but 'touching wood' haven't had any problems.
Post #98283 5th Nov 2011 6:43pm
iandup77

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
Hi all. I had a remap for 3 years on my Defender Puma. In the 3 years I have done 50 000km . it started to smoke badly when goeing uphill during a road trip. On our way home a knock came from the engine almost like a diesel knock. To make a long story short piston 4 and 2 seized due to overfeuling. Costing me so far $8000.00 for a new top and bottom. Big Cry To be honest I am now put of from any type of remap. My advice dont do It On a quite night in Africa you can hear the sound of rusting Land Cruisers
Post #99137 10th Nov 2011 2:39pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
iandup77 wrote:
Hi all. I had a remap for 3 years on my Defender Puma. In the 3 years I have done 50 000km . it started to smoke badly when goeing uphill during a road trip. On our way home a knock came from the engine almost like a diesel knock. To make a long story short piston 4 and 2 seized due to overfeuling. Costing me so far $8000.00 for a new top and bottom. Big Cry To be honest I am now put of from any type of remap. My advice dont do It

Who did your remap? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #99142 10th Nov 2011 2:42pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
every vehicle i've owned has been modified in some whay or another. I've never blown an engine up, blown a headgasket or thrown a rod.

BUT i warm them up, taking it easy when cold, cool them down after a blast and keep ontop of servicing,leaks and other issues that can bite you in the ass when you don't need the hassle.

So a remap and a VNT will be making its way onto my defender.
Post #99144 10th Nov 2011 2:46pm
iandup77

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zambezi Silver
@JSG. The company that did mine is called Turbochip in South Africa. On a quite night in Africa you can hear the sound of rusting Land Cruisers
Post #99870 14th Nov 2011 2:33pm
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I think some people swear by them, some don't trust them.

I'm in the latter camp.

IMO Defender gearboxes and clutches fail enough without even more stress!

BM is easy to up to slightly mad power and torque too but IMO the drivetrain is already under enough stress. If you're a short term car owner, fine, if you keep your vehicles for ages, maybe leave as standard. Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #99876 14th Nov 2011 3:05pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Well, most of that sounds nice and positive Smile
Just as well - I'll be using my ATRIC for the first time very soon Thumbs Up
Wish me luck!

p.s What's a VNT (please excuse my ignorance) Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #99877 14th Nov 2011 3:07pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
VNT - variable nozzle turbo

VVT - variable van turbo Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #99896 14th Nov 2011 4:05pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
After spouting off earlier, I spent Friday replacing manifold studs after finding 3 snapped Embarassed Looks like one of them had been snapped for a little while, the third one finally snapped when it saw the socket Rolling Eyes
Post #99900 14th Nov 2011 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>