Home > Puma (Tdci) > overheating issues
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
driver

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
overheating issues
I have a problem with my 07 Defender,

While driving along and without any warning it suddenly overheated I managed to stop quite quickly and switch off the engine, looking at the engine I saw the small hose to the expansion tank was not attached there was no coolant in the expansion tank and coolant everywhere over the engine bay.

I have not done anything repair wise which would have involved removing this pipe so after letting it cool I replaced the pipe and topped up with water (best part of 3 litres) it started ok so I drove the remaining 20 miles home without issue.

looking over the engine later I saw that there was what looked like dried antifreeze around the water pump gasket so I replaced it with an new OE pump also doing a coolant change as it had been diluted by me topping up with water, re checked every hose and clip and the filling and bleed process was followed correctly as per the manual so all seemed well,

A week later it overheated again without warning just as I got home from a 50 mile journey, my new coolant was all over the driveway, looking underneath I saw the bottom hose of the radiator was detached and the radiator was bowed at the top and bottom and the bottom half was deformed,

On inspection the lower fins did not look to good (it was the original radiator for the vehicle anyway) so I fitted a new Nissens radiator and replaced the antifreeze and re bled the system again after re checking every hose and clip.

I have used it daily for a 12 mile round trip without problems, no coolant loss or overheating but yesterday after another 50 mile journey it suddenly overheated again luckily I was able to stop quickly and switch the engine off, this time the new radiator had bowed and the lower fins were distorted one of the lower radiator pipes had almost come off but not quite but some coolant had leaked out.

I also noticed the the top radiator hose was rock solid I could not compress it at all so the system is pressurising far more than it should and thinking about it on the journey the heat into the cabin went cold a few times even though it was set to hot.

There is no sign of water in the oil or oil in the coolant

So I am looking for some guidance now from the font of knowledge here as to what else in the cooling/ heating system could be causing this issue and what I need to be checking as I don't want to do any damage to my engine.

Thanks in advance.
Post #1015667 19th Nov 2023 6:08pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Unfortunately it sounds much the same as mine did two weeks ago.

The coolant cap didn't relieve as it should and mine blew the two halves of the reservoir apart and split the radiator.

Also no water / oil contamination anywhere.

I did a compression check on the engine and number 2 was well down, with only a very small leak on the injector seal (Absolutely no visible chuffing in the oil filler cap)

So long story short €1800 breakdown recovery in France, new cylinder head, head gasket etc. etc. and still putting it back together!

Good luck!
Post #1015677 19th Nov 2023 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1