↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Puddles of oil on front diff
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TomB8

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Arles Blue
Puddles of oil on front diff
I know that ultimately the answer is 'get under there and figure it out' but I was surprised to see puddles of oil on top of my front diff below the oil filter.

I haven't used the defender for about 6 weeks and I don't remember seeing anything there is the past. Would have thought the system would need pressure to be leaking that much (filling the parts of the axle casting to the point they're overflowing and dripping on the floor). I'll try and get a picture later.

Just wondered if anyone has had this in the past and what it might be?
Post #1014578 9th Nov 2023 8:30pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Could be from the oil filter, could be from the rocker cover gasket, could be from the PAS reservoir.

What colour is it?

As for pressure, we did have some big swings in atmospheric pressure in the last week so that might have had an effect.

But you know you have to get under there... right Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Post #1014583 9th Nov 2023 8:47pm
TomB8

My guess is the oil filter, oil filter housing gasket or the oring that goes in the side of the oil filter housing. It's not come from as high up as the rocker, the head is dry. It's wet all round the filter housing and fuel pump but it always has been. As I said, I was just surprised to find pools of oil, a few drips I wouldn't mind but half a mug of it!

Just dipped some rag in it and it's black as a witches hat, so not ps fluid.

Sorry, I can't tell if you're joking with the atmospheric pressure suggestion Neutral if not a joke, wouldn't the heat of the engine cause more pressure by expanding the oil? Not that I have heated the engine.

Ah, do I have to get under there?... again!? Rolling with laughter

Whatever it is, a big tube of silicone will sort it Whistle
Post #1014617 9th Nov 2023 10:43pm
donmacn

As Geobloke has said it could be a number of things.

I haven't time right now to look at your other posts so I don't know if this is something you look after yourself or have a garage do it? I'd hazard a guess that it's not 'DIY' if you're not keen to get underneath! Very Happy For the avoidance of doubt I'm being light-hearted about that! I use Defender maintenance as a Calisthenics routine! Up and down, up and down, up and down, forget the 13mm socket, up and down...

When you do an oil change on these, unless you're careful you can end up with a lot of oil landing on the top of the diff. Are you sure this is new oil and not just left over from a previous filter change? It could feasibly sit there for a while in the hollows on the diff casing.

Perhaps at the last filter change the old rubber seal stayed in place, so that you've now two seals?? That could potentially leak a bit. Is the filter itself still tight?

Other options are:
* the thermostat housing is O ring sealed - could feasibly go;
* the O rings sealing the oil feed/return pipes from the cooler in the radiator could go - or as with the filter above, if they've been replaced you could end up with a new and an old O ring in the housing;
* the gasket between the housing and the block,
* I've had the pressure switch leak in the past (it seals with a copper washer) but I doubt it would give cupfuls of oil.
* I've even seen the housing itself crack (or maybe it was the thermostat housing that bolts on)

If it was me (in fact it was me once) I'd want to be sure there were no issues here. The housing itself isn't too expensive, or even too difficult to replace. Or pull the existing one, check it's OK and and have all the gaskets and O rings, new pressure switch to hand to be sure it's a 'proper job' when it goes back on.

And you're probably just using 'silicone' as a generic term, so apologies if that's the case, Whistle but you'd need an RTV sealant - oil friendly.

(Edit - sorry, I can see you've already mentioned some of the things I've put in here. I got into a groove and kept going....!) Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #1014669 10th Nov 2023 11:28am
TomB8

Hi Donald,

Thank you for your reply.

I do look after this myself... well, I try! Yes, it is a good workout. I work on the car out the front of my house and my garage is 40 metres away at the other end of the back garden, doesn't sound far but after a day going back and forth I'm knackered.

The oil was changed when I bought the vehicle a year ago by a friend who owns a landy garage, just because I took it to him for a quick look over and it hadn't been done in 15 years! It's been fine since and I have been under, in and around there doing poly bushes, timing belt, welding holes in the bulkhead etc. Never noticed oil there before.

I haven't checked if the filter is tight, but will do so, good call. She's due an oil change soon so I'll order a new gasket for the housing and take it out for inspection at the same time.

I have a thermostat o-ring and oil cooler pipe o-rings so I'll pop them in this weekend, clean everything up and bring the engine up to temp whilst monitoring and see what happens.

Sorry, the silicone was a joke! I have no intention of using anything other than the correct gaskets, o-rings, copper washers etc

I'm not overly concerned that the factory fitted anti rust system is being overzealous, as I said, I was just surprised to see that much oil after the car had been sitting a while. Perhaps it has built up over time and I have not noticed, I would have thought it would slosh out driving on rough roads etc though.
Post #1014681 10th Nov 2023 12:39pm
donmacn

Fair play Tom. My apologies, I was going to say that I wasn't trying to teach granny to suck eggs, but then I realised that was probably ageist and overly gender specific for this stage in the 21st century.

It does sound like you've a fair idea what's going on, and know the history. I hope that whenever you do take it off, it all goes without a hitch. It's theoretically possible..!

Ref the oil being displaced by rough roads etc... Years ago I had a 5p piece sitting on the NAS step at the rear crossmember. The kids and I played a game to see how long it would stay there. It ended up being months and months, on rough and smooth road. In the end I suspect it was lifted off the step rather than falling off (though why you'd nick 5p these days is beyond me).

But more importantly, if you have been underneath the car, and aware of what's new and what's not, then it's probably something recent.

If you're going to run the engine to warm the oil before doing the oil change, then it might be worth a good skoosh of brake cleaner around the whole area and wipe it all off just beforehand. Then you just might get a further pointer on the source of any leak.

Interested to hear what you find when the time comes. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #1014719 10th Nov 2023 5:33pm
TomB8

I was going to try and make a joke in response, but probably best not on a public forum!

It might sound like it but realistically I'm learning as I go. It's not rocket science, I'm sure I'll go bald from head scratching though.

That is interesting. The ride feels quite rough at the back of mine. I haven't been able to see (because I'm focussing on driving), but I have visions of the dog in the back being left in mid air as I go a little too quick over those horrid new plastic speed bumps at Tesco. Got new springs to swap out that will hopefully help.

Yeah, I'll give it a good clean before running the engine again and let you know what I find.
Post #1014773 10th Nov 2023 11:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1