↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Graunch/Rumble/Vibration from the front
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
warren

England 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Santorini Black
Graunch/Rumble/Vibration from the front
OK, here's a weird one... Hope I can describe it without it making no sense...

When accelerating from low revs, approx 1.5k - 2.5k, in 4th or 5th up a slight hill whilst also turning slightly, there's a bit of a grumbly graunchy rumble and a vibration that feels like it's coming from the front somewhere, loud enough to drown out the engine. It's quite tricky to recreate as there's not that many roads round here I can actually try and recreate it on. And it never does it if the wheels are straight, only when turning.

My old Tdi started to do it a couple of days before I got shut, so no idea what it was then, although I'm thinking something diff related maybe?

Any ideas?
Post #97740 2nd Nov 2011 6:58pm
wslr

United Kingdom 
Could be any number of things. Wheel bearing, transfer box etc...
Post #97786 2nd Nov 2011 9:26pm
eutek

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I get the same thing, however more frequently in 1st or 2nd. If I'm leaving a carpark, and going up a ramp at low speed it does it.

Sadly don't know what it is yet!
Post #97805 2nd Nov 2011 10:11pm
warren

Its due a service in a couple of thousand miles, I'll get them to look into it. Just hoping to narrow down the possibilities of what it could be so they know where to look...

I did think wheel bearing at first, but would that not be more of a constant rumble? I *think* that narrows it down ever so slightly Laughing
Post #97822 2nd Nov 2011 11:45pm
Defendit

Australia 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
Sounds like a prime candidate for torque induced front propshaft vibration to me. I get this under uphill load between 1500-2000 rpm, but in 5th and 6th, not 4th. I do have a remap though so have lots of extra torque.

I never noticed it before the remap but after returning to standard map for testing I can now detect it. My vehicle is near new and I suspect it will get worse as the propshaft joints age.

After a lot of research I've reached the conclusion that the LR OEM front shaft is only just up to the task with a completely standard car.

Remove your front prop and see if that makes a difference. You can also try uphill in 6th from low revs. Let the engine labour and see if you get the vibes.
Post #97835 3rd Nov 2011 1:17am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
eutek wrote:
I get the same thing, however more frequently in 1st or 2nd. If I'm leaving a carpark, and going up a ramp at low speed it does it.

Sadly don't know what it is yet!

Eutek,
I get the same thing with my 07 110. With low RPM off boost it does labour and does it every time I enter the local shopping centre up a steepish short ramp into the carpark. It will do it in off road situations as well, similar gears and RPM. I think I could repeat it in most gears if I tried. I have no idea where exactly the noise comes from but I think it is probably O.K. as it is always predictable and never gets better or worse.

The Defender makes so many funny noises I just turn up the radio and carry on in blissful ignorance. If it still runs, it isn't broken. That's the rule isn't it? Smile

While In my case it is not a wheel brearing rumble, one of our company cars, a two wheel drive Ford ute which carries a fair load, used to make a strange noise on right hand turns. It told my colleague I thought it was a wheel bearing in the left rear. Two different dealers and an independent told him it was the diff. I convinced him to do the bearing first. Thats all it was and the problem was fixed. It just rumbled when it was loaded up during right hand turns as the weight shifted to the left side.
Post #97840 3rd Nov 2011 6:14am
Allan

Australia 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Mine used to do this, found it to be the clutch, the dreded death rattle. Since the cluch change no noise.

Allan
Post #97905 3rd Nov 2011 3:47pm
warren

That damn clutch has got a lot to answer for! Evil or Very Mad
Post #97993 3rd Nov 2011 11:11pm
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
Allan wrote:
Mine used to do this, found it to be the clutch, the dreded death rattle. Since the cluch change no noise.

Allan

Allan
You are probably right about that. That is my feeling as well. Unfortunatly my Defender had the clutch replaced at 20,000km. This noise occurred with the old clutch and the new (ish) one as well. It has now travelled 45,000km and is out of warranty by just on a year now. I'll just have to not drive up steepish short ramps in car parks but if I do have to, I will just have to turn the radio up even louder!
Post #98006 4th Nov 2011 4:39am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1