Home > My Defender > Pete's 2008 110 DCPU
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
PCA42

England 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Tonga Green
Pete's 2008 110 DCPU
Hello all,

I've just joined this fantastic looking forum after purchasing my first TDCi Defender. I have visited a few times before looking for technical details etc which has proved useful, so thought I ought to join. I also have a 2005 Td5 90 (my first Landy that I passed my test in) which I am preparing for sale, as the 110 is it's replacement. There are also two 88" Series vehicles in the fleet as well, so I am truly a Landy nut!

Here are some pictures of the said Defenders... (I am afraid they are just phone pictures as I haven't had chance to take some using a decent camera).

EDIT: Pictures removed due to loss of host.

I have already been busy customising the 110 to suit my needs. However, I am trying to go for a more of a factory-appearance with this one, but equipped for greenlaning etc. First thing I did was remove the Ifor Williams back off it so I didn't look like a Welsh sheep farmer. I fitted Mud UK seat rails to enable me to fit in it, a glovebox conversion above the grab handle, cubby box, snow cowl and a steering gaurd. The A-bar and spots were already on it. I am planning to add a Mantec 'Plastic Jobby' snorkel, and JATE rings on the front once I have got it serviced. A 2" receiver hitch on the rear is also a big consideration. Was debating on fitting my winch bumper, but I have decided I won't need it for now as I don't plan to use it in quite so much anger off road, and I don't want to have to upgrade the suspension to take the weight... I have a Tirfor for when it all goes tits up anyhow! Various ideas all whizzing around in my head at the moment!

The one thing I am trying to find is a decent tonneau cover for the back, that will fit over the top of the spare wheel in the back. I might end up having to get one custom made by the trim department at work for a few beers! Laughing

I look forward to reading some of your threads and seeing what has been done to your vehicles!

Last edited by PCA42 on 29th Aug 2014 2:50pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #338376 15th Jun 2014 11:46pm
david mitchell

Ireland 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Welcome Very Happy, nice 110 double cab. You can't go wrong with green.
Post #338378 15th Jun 2014 11:59pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Re: Pete's 2008 110 DCPU
PCA42 wrote:
First thing I did was remove the Ifor Williams back off it so I didn't look like a Welsh sheep farmer.

Now you've done it! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Whistle

Welcome to the site, mad as a box of frogs on here. Thumbs Up
Post #338379 16th Jun 2014 12:13am
GUM97

United Kingdom 1997 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Stornoway Grey
Looks tidy! I always love the look of a 110 DC without a back on! Thumbs Up An engine to TDi for!
"Land Rover- Proudly turning drivers into mechanics since 1948"
Post #338389 16th Jun 2014 6:26am
PCA42

Thanks for the welcome chaps Thumbs Up
Post #338514 16th Jun 2014 6:29pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Welcome!! Very Happy
Post #338795 17th Jun 2014 7:44pm
PCA42

On Saturday afternoon, I spent some time with the Autoglym. At first I went over it with Super Resin Polish, and then sealed the paintwork with their sealant. I shall give it a coat of wax at somepoint soon! Never had such a shiney Landy Laughing

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This photos shows the First Four glovebox conversion fitted (still need to play with it to get the shut line flusher), Britpart grey cubbybox (what can go wrong with a cubbybox, even if it's a blue-box product?!), MudUK seat rail extensions, full floor mat set and seatbox corner protectors from YRM Solutions.

I also fitted a front diff guard (I did buy a pair, but then realised it wouldn't fit the P38/Wolf rear axle Embarassed ), and my First Four steering guard that I took off my old 90. I did order JATE rings, but they sent me the wrong, narrower ones that won't fit around the steering gaurd Sad

I also have a Mantec Snorkel on order which I will fit, and later this week it is going for a full service and to have a couple of minor problems sorted out which I am not sure on how to fix myself. However, I am already enjoying owning a TDCi DCPU, and can't wait to do more with it whether it modifications/additions, or adventures!

Can anyone give me an idea on what springs I could fit to the front of the vehicle? I would like to raise the front up a little to level it up to the rear (I know the 'nose down' stance is typical of a 110), but I'd like to keep the spring rate the same without going heavy duty (I don't plan to fit my winch on the front at this stage)? Would 90 rear springs work or something like that? Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
1972 Series III 88" 2.25P
Post #340173 23rd Jun 2014 6:35pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Early Puma 90XS came with HD suspension that gave you a natural 1" lift over standard so make sure you get the right ones if you don't want to go HD at this stage. Lovely looking truck.

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #340190 23rd Jun 2014 6:59pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
I have OE HDs on the front of mine, 90 rears and 110 HD fronts are the same spring.

Click image to enlarge

Ha I have now remebered how to insert the picture properly! Will take a side on this evening for you.

Last edited by kipperthedog on 24th Jun 2014 5:18pm. Edited 7 times in total
Post #340401 24th Jun 2014 8:38am
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
.....double post Whistle .....
Post #340403 24th Jun 2014 8:42am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Lovely looking truck! Some interesting mods... Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #340419 24th Jun 2014 10:14am
PCA42

Cheers chaps! Looks like 90 rears/110 HD fronts are the way to do it then Thumbs Up Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #340481 24th Jun 2014 4:33pm
kipperthedog

United Kingdom 
I have been happy with this. The spring rate is the same as the stiffer of the 2 rates on standard springs and my old standard springs had sagged through the lighter rate coils so I didn't notice that much difference. There is still a bit of nose down with 110HDs but you could fit spring isolators at the same time, which gives a little vibration damping, though I didn't bother myself.
Post #340487 24th Jun 2014 5:11pm
PCA42

Definitely will be considering the 90 rear springs kipperthedog! Thumbs Up

Today, I adjusted the lock stops and boy what a difference it makes Laughing I can actually get around some of the corners now without mounting the kerb!

I also fitted rear bumperettes from GDI Products. They are not that heavy duty compared to the ones I've had in the past, but I only wanted them on as a first line of defense for reversing into things Laughing or other muppets driving into me so the lights don't get smashed up. They'll probably need painting in the future too as the powdercoating isn't exactly very durable like most powdercoated things you get these days.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I think I shall have to cut them down a bit too as they protrude out the sides quite a long way, and may get caught up on things. Confused However, for the price they're sound Thumbs Up I think I shall get some tree/rock sliders to match at somepoint. Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #342156 1st Jul 2014 10:50pm
PCA42

Today I was near Craddocks, so decided to drop in for a set of 235/85 Cooper ST Maxx tyres, since I was fed up with driving around on the frankly sh** Grabbers and had previous excellent experience with them. It drives like a different truck now, and does not drift left anymore Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  Pete

2010 Discovery 4 GS TDV6
Post #354389 29th Aug 2014 2:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>