↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Intermittent limp home mode..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianbrown00

2006 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
Intermittent limp home mode..
I have a 2008 tdci that intermittently drops in to limp home mode, there are no lights showing and when it runs it runs well. If I turn off the ignition and wait five minutes it will usually start up and run fine, but not always.

Any one had similar problems?

I am about 60 miles from the closest dealer and they can't look at it for another seven days.

Many thanks

Ian
Post #97685 2nd Nov 2011 2:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim_NZ

Australia 
Could be a number of things, but I'd start with the Cylinder Head Temperature sensor.

Cheers,

Tim
Post #97825 3rd Nov 2011 12:00am
Lorryman100

Need a little bit more info for us to be able to offer you any help. Though here are a few of my initial thoughts Thumbs Up

Do you have the ability to read DTC's? If so what is logged?
    The MIL does not illuminate? Does it illuminate when you switch the ignition on (self test)? Bulb blown?
    Have you had a similar issue in the past which rectified itself?
    Is the Key fob battery OK? Passive immobilizer.
    Have you been in deep mud lately? Blocked tank breather
    Do you see fuel dripping from underneath when you overfill the tank? Not had the extension pipe fitted as per SB.
    Does the temp gauge rise into the red? CHT sensor, low coolant, restricted coolant pipe, engine enters limp mode to protect engine from overheating. MIL and DTC logged
    When was it last serviced? Fuel filter needs replacing.
    Has it had any fuel rail issues? P1169? Faulty rail pressure sensor, Pressure Limiting valve activated. MIL and DTC logged

The fact that the MIL did not illuminate means it is most likely a fuelling issue rather than electrical which helps narrow things down somewhat, as the MIL should illuminate if the EMS has instigated the limp mode. If you post more info on the circumstances surrounding the issue then I'm sure some one on here will be able to help. Thumbs Up

Brian.
Post #97836 3rd Nov 2011 1:33am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
to add to Bris list:

high pressure fuel pump
blocked fuel pick up - you stop and wait, the blockage drifts out of the pick up back into the tank. it d be most noticeable if the fault appears when the vehicle is under heavy load ie high gear, long hill, foot to the floor.

neither of these will give MIL lights.
Post #97839 3rd Nov 2011 1:52am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Id Just like to say the willingness of people on here to try and help fellow owners always impresses me
thanks chaps. DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #97841 3rd Nov 2011 6:40am
MD5

2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
Thanks to Lorryman for the troubleshooting information!

@BigMike:

Could you please better describe the -high pressure fuel pump blocked fuel pick up- problem ?
Last Sunday, when driving across a steep and rocky hill suddently my puma lost most of the power without MIL light or other kind of warning.
I then switched off the engine to check if something was wrong in engine vane and then, after turning on the engine everything run fine, no more problems detected.

It wasn't a overheat problem because the engine was just turned on after a lunch.
Post #97845 3rd Nov 2011 7:38am
BigMike

United Kingdom 
Ok you're driving along at 70 on flat road, you get to a long hill. Naturally you start to lose speed so you put your foot down. It responds buy further up the hill there is a short power interruption. You lift on and apply power again and it goes but doesn't really seem like it wants to foot down hard again and it slows. You stop for 5 minutes and when you carry on it's fine for a while
Post #97858 3rd Nov 2011 9:58am
Lorryman100

The problem with fault finding and rectification on a forum is the lack of pertinent information in relation to the fault received. There are a few problems that can cause these issues starting at a few hours of your time up to thousands of pounds in parts and labour costs. Personally I start with the, my time option first. So what can cause the lack of power with no MIL or dtc's stored? Basically the vehicle occasionally doesn't respond to the power being asked of it, so what can cause this that I can check without any diagnostic gear? So lets look at fuel starvation first, is there fuel in the tank? have you filled from a jerry can? are there any diesel leaks? is the breather on the fuel cap blocked? is the tank breather blocked? is the fuel filter dirty or has water in it? Any leaks on the fuel pump? any leaks at the accumulator rail? has the pressure limiting valve operated?
If these all look OK and have been checked lets move onto the tank pick up pipe, this involves removing the fuel tank and removing the complete sender/fuel pick up/return unit and clearing the pick up pipe with an air line to clear any detritus. If none is found then I would move onto the Fuel pump, but first let me explain how it works.
The fuel pump contains and controls both the low pressure and high pressure systems. The low pressure side of the pump is responsible for getting the fuel from/and return to the tank and into the pump to be utilized in the high pressure system. It does this by using an eccentric cam to draw fuel along the fuel pipes and into the pump. There is an admissions valve to control the volume (also ensures that sufficient lubrication and cooling are always provided for the high-pressure pump components) and also a temp sensor to determine the fuel density by its temperature, if this sensor is faulty or unplugged the defender will enter limp mode. Fuel is then passed into the high pressure side by way of the Volume Control Valve which is controlled by the EMS. It basically governs the flow of fuel from the low to the high pressure side to maintain the fuel accumulator rail at a set pressure. It operates by means of the EMS using the information from the fuel rail pressure sensor to maintain the pressure at the fuel rail, about 1600BAR.
A total of 2 high-pressure chambers, each with a pump plunger, are used for high-pressure generation. The drive for the pump plungers is through an eccentric cam, which is in turn driven by the drive shaft. The high-pressure pump permanently generates the high system pressure for the fuel rail. The rotary movement of the drive shaft is converted to a reciprocating movement by the eccentric cam. The eccentric cam ring then transfers the reciprocating movement to the pump plungers. The pump plungers are offset by 180 degrees. This means that during a reciprocating movement, pump plunger 1 performs exactly the opposite movement to pump plunger 2. When the eccentric cam produces an upward stroke, pump plunger 1 moves in the direction of Top Dead Center (TDC), thus compressing the fuel and delivering it to the fuel rail via the outlet valve. The inlet valve is pressed into its seat by the delivery pressure. Pump plunger 2 is moved by the tension spring force in the direction of Bottom Dead Center (BDC). Due to the high pressure in the fuel rail, the outlet valve is pressed into its seat. The pump internal pressure opens the inlet valve and fuel flows into the high-pressure chamber. When the eccentric cam produces a downward stroke, the process is reversed.
So if we check the pressure at the rail, we can see if the high pressure pump is causing the issue. If not then the low pressure system must also be not at fault as it supplies the high pressure system. So next on the list is the injectors themselves, not much here you can check without removing them, and if you do you will need new copper washers first to replace the old ones. The faults here range from broken actuator springs to cracked pressure casings. Though if an injector was failing/failed then the solenoid on top would not operate as intended and would throw up a dtc in the EMS?
So lets now check the electrical side of the fuel system, on the pump itself there are only two electrical connections and the VCV is the only replacement part. The temp sensor tells the EMS the fuel temp and this in turn allows the EMS to gauge fuel density. If the sensor was unplugged/faulty the engine would enter limp/reduced power mode. The Volume Control Valve works by being energized by a 12v circuit to fully open the valve. The EMS controls the valve opening by use of ground, so when you switch on the ignition the VCV opens fully and is then controlled by the EMS once running. When the ignition is switched off the valve closes completely as it has no power. This part is replaceable and is responsible for controlling the fuel entering the high pressure system to maintain the rail pressure. It works in conjunction with the fuel rail pressure sensor and both are controlled/report to the EMS. If the fuel rail pressure sensor is unplugged/faulty the engine will enter limp/reduced power mode. The injector solenoid is what controls how much fuel goes into the combustion chamber and opening times are controlled by the EMS utilizing the Crankshaft position sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft position sensor (CMP) to control firing cycle. The problem here is that with the Pumas electrical sensor issues a MIL and DTC should be logged whenever a problem crops up.
So we have checked and discounted the fuel system as the cause, so now we move onto the induction side of the engine. Check the air filter, induction feed to the intercooler and onto the inlet manifold for obstructions, crushed plastic pipes etc.
Next we have the EGR valve, easiest way to check if this is the issue is when you shut down you should hear the 5x chukka chukkas of the self clean cycle. If you do you know the valve is closed, so unplug it and go for a run and see if the issues are resolved. You will get the MIL and DTC's logged when you unplug it and it may enter limp mode so just reset the ignition and it will clear. If the issue still remains then you know the EGR is not at fault.
Next we come to the Turbocharger unit. Sticking actuator arms will cause issues with over/underboost issues which in overboosts case will put the engine into limp mode to protect the turbo unit from damage. The Modulator/harness could be at fault, but the sensor the EMS uses would be the first thing I would put a DMM on, the MAP sensor.

I am going to stop here as I'll have you taking the engine out next and rebuilding it or putting a TDV8 in instead. Whistle Very Happy

My advice would be to get a diagnostic tool on it first to see what DTC's both tested and untested are logged to see if that will pinpoint the issue. It is very hard to diagnose a problem from a forum and it could be something simple and trivial that is causing the issue. After that it is just a case of starting to fault find and try to diagnose the problem or you can always put it into the dealers.

Brian.
Post #97879 3rd Nov 2011 1:19pm
MD5

Thanks to BigMile for answering my question.

I'm amazed about the Lorryman100 fault finding writing, a huge thanks!

I just received a cheap OBD-2 to USB interface to read the DTC codes. Tomorrow I will connect and read any possible DTC stored i my 110. I will post the result.
Post #97970 3rd Nov 2011 9:14pm
MD5

The problem related to -high pressure fuel pump blocked fuel pick up- may be accompanied by a subtle intermittent noise like a sob or chirping, apparently coming from the engine compartment ?

Which is the cause and possible cure to avoid this fault ?

Note: Sorry for my bad english! Embarassed
Post #98009 4th Nov 2011 6:28am
Lorryman100

Sorry I don't really understand your post. Are you saying that you have a faulty fuel pump/tank pick up, and you are hearing chirping/sob sounds because of that? Or you are hearing these noises and believe it to be the fuel pump/tank pick up?

Brian.
Post #98249 5th Nov 2011 4:32pm
MD5

I apologize for my bad english!
I mean if this kind of noise can be related to the high pressure fuel pump blocked fuel pick up.
Post #98250 5th Nov 2011 4:43pm
Lorryman100

Without hearing the noises I would first check the induction side first. Check the Turbo hoses and the intercooler for air leaks. Also that the MAF sensor is in its seat and is not leaking, air filter lid is on properly and all plastic ducting is hiss free. Check the MAP sensor is sealed and the induction pipe work into the inlet manifold is not leaking.

Brian.
Post #98256 5th Nov 2011 5:05pm
MD5

Thanks for the advice, I will do the check. In the meantime I read the DTC fault memory but it's empty.
Post #98318 5th Nov 2011 8:41pm
Lorryman100

The fault DTC may not show up on a generic OBD11 reader as it cannot read manufacturers specific codes. Have a read of this post I did on another thread as it will explain what I mean:

Lorryman100 wrote:

Thought I would try and explain the differences in DTC codes. So here goes:

There are basically two types of DTC codes for OBDII Diagnostics:

Emissions related DTC's Tested DTC's
Type A

1. Emissions related.
2. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will be illuminated as soon as the error occurs.
3. Stores a freeze frame DTC after one failed driving cycle.( history DTC is stored )

Type B

1. Emissions related.
2. Sets a Pending Trouble Code after one failed driving cycle.
3. Clears a Pending Trouble Code after one successful driving cycle.
4. Turns on the MIL after two/three consecutive failed driving cycles.
5. Stores a Pending Trouble Code as a DTC after two consecutive failed driving cycles.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC – Type A or Type B

The MIL will turn off after four consecutive driving cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault.
A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

Non–Emissions Related DTCs Un Tested DTC's

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

1. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) will not illuminate.
2. The ECM will record a DTC at the time the diagnostic fails.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC

A history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm up cycles without a fault.
DTC(s) can be cleared by using a scan/diagnostic tool.

How to read a DTC Code

The DTC value will help you narrow down the specific component or module in question. A DTC has a standardized format that can be interpreted as follows:
The first part of the DTC is the Alpha Designator. The alpha designator will be:

B - Body electronics (i.e., door and hood latches)
C - Chassis (i.e., traction control or ABS)
P - Powertrain (i.e., engine, transmission)
U - Network communications for the different control modules

Second Digit - Code Type
The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.

0 = Generic (The diagnostic codes that are required by law on all OBD II systems are "generic" in the sense that all vehicle manufacturers use the same common code list and the same 16-pin diagnostic connector. Thus, a P0301 misfire code on a Ford means the same thing on a Vauxhall, Citroen, Toyota or Mercedes.)

1 = Enhanced ( Each vehicle manufacturers also have the freedom to add their own "enhanced" codes to provide even more detailed information about various faults. Enhanced codes also cover non-emission related failures that occur outside the engine control system. These include ABS codes, HVAC codes, airbag codes and other body and electrical codes.)

Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code

1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
3 = Ignition or Misfire
4 = Emission Control
5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
6 = Computer & Output Circuit
7 = Transmission
8 = Transmission
9 = SAE Reserved
0 = SAE Reserved

Fourth and Fifth Digits
These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem code error number

So let's diagnose a DTC, I've picked P0404-73 EGR control circuit range/performance: actuator stuck closed

so we have:
P = Powertrain (engine, transmission)
0 = Generic
4 = Emissions control
0 4 =This is the specific error code within Emission control. In this case the EGR control circuit range/performance
-73= This is a specific problem, in this case the actuator is stuck closed. 74 means its stuck open.

Brian.
Post #98321 5th Nov 2011 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>