↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Advice on tyre size please on stock defender!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
haclarke

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Advice on tyre size please on stock defender!
Hi all,
I am looking at some new wheels for my stock defender 90 2007.
Will a set of LT285/75R16 fit on my stock defender or are they too big?
Post #1012403 24th Oct 2023 9:33am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
For some people tires are just tires, for me they maketh the car.

For me personally I prefer the more original 'skinny but tall' wheels, which originally was 7.5R16 (85 aspect ratio). In today's dimensions that translate roughly to 235/85R16 which are still very much available.

Your tire size is quite a bit wider and despite a 75 aspect ratio still quite a bit taller as well. You will need to check what the minimum rim with is for that tire as there is a limit how narrow that can be.

Also you can have rubbing at full lock so you might need to dial that back (stoppers) and then live with the turning circle.
Post #1012405 24th Oct 2023 9:53am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Advice on tyre size please on stock defender!
haclarke wrote:
Hi all,
I am looking at some new wheels for my stock defender 90 2007.
Will a set of LT285/75R16 fit on my stock defender or are they too big?

What do you plan to use the vehicle for? Is there something specific you are wanting to achieve?

If you are off roading, generally narrow tyres work better for most situations on UK terrain. The standard 235/85R126 or 7.50 x 16 is a very good size for this.

A 285/75 is a fat tyre. It will most likely fit, but may rub. Also be aware that in the UK it is illegal for tyres to stick out of the arches. This is Construction & Use Regs, not the MoT. A 285 is likely to be very close to sticking out of the arches, but it will depend on the offset of the rims you choose. So you may need to look at some extended or wider wheel arch spats.

A 285 may also induce more road noise and lower mpg. And blunt performance a bit. Is your 90 stock or remapped?

Probably the biggest issue with a wide tyre like this is steering lock. If you want to keep the tyre inside the arch, it will rub on the radius arm and reduce lock.

A 255/85R16 is a nice size for a Defender, not as fat and slightly taller. But less choice of tread/brands. These can also rub, but would depend on the rim and offset you choose.

So in answer, yes they can fit. But it depends on a lot of other things on if they would be the best size to go for or not.
Post #1012414 24th Oct 2023 10:22am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
TexasRover wrote:
Fwhich originally was 7.5R16 (85 aspect ratio). In today's dimensions that translate roughly to 235/85R16 which are still very much available.

A 235/85 is a lot fatter than a 7.50 and you can still get 7.50 x 16's. Not as much choice but there are still some options. BFG offer the KM3 MT in a 7.50 x 16
Post #1012416 24th Oct 2023 10:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Many tyre suppliers will refuse to fit 285/75s on any of the standard rims (you don't say which type you have and there are no clues in your gallery).

285s are very much an acquired taste with some people liking the chunky look, but there are many downsides:-
  • The fact that they are technically too wide of any of the standard rims
  • The fact that they will greatly reduce your (already poor) turning circle unless fitted with 30mm spacers
  • The fact that (especially with spacers) they plaster the sides of your vehicle with muck and filth (even if you upgrade the mudflaps etc)
  • The fact that they are incredibly susceptible to "tramlining" and other odd behaviours on HGV ruts and other road surface defects.

When I bought my Defender it had 285/75 Kumho KL-71s on Boosts and looked very cool and macho, but all the above problems in the end persuaded e to change to 255/85 BFG KMs (which are now on ET0 Blindos) and the improvement in the overall driving and living experience cannot be exaggerated, I would never go back to 285s.

Until you have experienced a deluge of wet mud and filth coming through the open driver's window and covering your upper body you haven't truly had the 285 experience! Rolling with laughter
Post #1012424 24th Oct 2023 11:50am
jaygti

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
From an appearance point of view, it’s entirely up to you, thankfully we are all different, and prefer different things.

As for fitment, 285s will fit squeeze on 7” wide rims, but really you should go up to 8” rims as recommended.

Mine rub slightly on full lock , but it doesn’t bother me as it’s only a small amount.

Blackwolf is correct, the sides of the defender can get very dirty in some conditions.
I can can live with all that though, as I love the look of the wider tyres. 👍🏻 2002 td5 90 county hardtop
Post #1012428 24th Oct 2023 12:06pm
Tdi4

Netherlands 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
How bad it will be depends on the ET value of the rim.

You have the option between really bad and really really bad Very Happy

Don't forget the drivability in the rain, you are very susceptible to aquaplaning.

265 is the widest I would go but then the turning circle is still horrendous (without spacers).

And I know I've got the 275 at the moment, really good looking but total rubbish practically speaking. I will go back to 255's a defender from 1984 pretending to be a puma with a touch of Range Rover
Post #1012430 24th Oct 2023 12:07pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1