↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Please allow me this rant about LR Parts SupplyšŸ¤¬
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redroof

Scotland 
Please allow me this rant about LR Parts SupplyšŸ¤¬

Click image to enlarge

I bought a year old L663 Defender Carpathian Edition in early July, at considerable cost.
During handover my wife noticed a huge crack in the sunroof glass, shaped like a large malemember, quite amusingly.
The dealers reckoned they hadnā€™t noticed it though the car had gone through their 165 point check and a (pretty poor) pre handover valeting and wash. On reflection we reckon they were hoping we didnā€™t notice and then when they did they would say it was ok when it left - feeling quite lucky in that respect.
Once pointed out the dealership was understandably apologetic and promised they would solve the issue with a new sunroof and ensure we would have a replacement equivalent vehicle, and they would collect and re-deliver our car at no expense to us when it was convenient.
That was in early July, itā€™s now almost 4 months down the line and LR canā€™t even give me lead times for an estimated delivery. The standard reply is ā€˜the part is on back orderā€™ā€™. What does that even mean?
I deal with a lot of suppliers and general supply chain in my day to day work and almost all of them can give me a lead time, sometimes it can be up to a year, but they can still provide something tangible.
I have regularly requested the dealer update me and Iā€™m evidently getting right on their nerves reading the language in their replies.
This whole situation is infuriating, I donā€™t care if it is next year but at least let me know, I also donā€™t believe they donā€™t know how long it takes from ordering to delivering this part - how the heck do they build cars and give customers build dates? They must know their lead times, otherwise their production line would collapse. AAARRRRGGGGG!
Still, the car is drivable, and great fun, I just donā€™t look up out the sunroof šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¦ā€ā™‚ļø
For once this LR letting themselves down instead of the dealer letting LR down. Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
2021 Defender Carpathian Edition

Last edited by Redroof on 23rd Oct 2023 5:59pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1012248 23rd Oct 2023 2:02pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Guess your complaint is about JLR Service, rather than the company stated in your subject. No affiliation with either. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1012249 23rd Oct 2023 2:22pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I wish that your story was the exception rather than the rule, but sadly it seems to be a very frequent theme.

LR customer service really does seem to be at rock bottom at the moment. Sad
Post #1012251 23rd Oct 2023 2:33pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Maybe you should have left the car with them there and then, take the equivalent replacement vehicle and then see how long it would have taken them to fix.

Less than 4 months would be my guess.

They are still hoping for you to give up and the problem to go away. Its the millennial way..
Post #1012256 23rd Oct 2023 3:03pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
JLR parts logistics is a mess, my cars been off the road so much this year waiting for parts. The dealerships are tired of it just as much as customers they often run out of space and loan cars and have been shot as the messenger for something essentially out of their control way too often. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1012258 23rd Oct 2023 3:04pm
blackwolf

Let's not forget also that owners of classic Defenders are booking in for the rather serious front axle recall only to be told when picking the car up that the parts were not available to do the work, something you might think they'd check beforehand.

It's a very sad state of affairs.
Post #1012269 23rd Oct 2023 4:14pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
That is a dealer issue and could so be avoided. I had my front window on the RR disabled for 6 weeks due to the dealer not checking they had all the parts. I left a big note on the dash telling them not to start any work they don't have parts for. They ignored it, stripped the door down replaced the glass only to realise a part wasn't in stock that was single use only. I had to drive around for six weeks without the drivers window working and gaffer tape on the edge. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #1012275 23rd Oct 2023 4:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
this has always been the case but got worse

Then what really winds me up, I find they are so secretive over access to parts now and difficult in how to order stuff its a joke.

No idea why parts and workshop manuals have to be worse than a state secret. Mike
Post #1012288 23rd Oct 2023 5:23pm
Redroof

Scotland 
The rant is specifically about Land Rover parts supply chain, visibility and general organisation.
I am told it is a dealer issue but I went above them direct to Land Rover who confirmed what the dealer was saying, verbatim - ā€˜the part is on back order, we donā€™t know when it will be inā€™. Therefore in my opinion the dealer is simply telling me what they are being told.
In what modern supply chain do the purchasers/ suppliers/ manufacturers not know how long this will take - especially in the current ā€˜just in timeā€™ model, pandemic supply issues notwithstanding?
I most certainly will not forget about it, which, I think, is what they want me to do.
I did consider leaving the car with them and demanding an equivalent replacement but I was told during the hand over it would be sorted within a few weeks - plus I was over 100 miles from home and soon to be returning abroad for work. The fact that they agreed to swap out with a replacement delivered and mine picked up for repair made me think it was well in hand. Not to mention the excitement of picking up a new car such as this!
In the grand shame of things itā€™s relatively minor, and there are worse things happing in the world right now, itā€™s just got right up my nose, and I thought where better to have a rant than here!
Land Rover, itā€™s a love hate relationship, and Iā€™m sure if they got their dealer network and parts supply right, theyā€™d appear much better. Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
2021 Defender Carpathian Edition
Post #1012304 23rd Oct 2023 6:12pm
blackwolf

RDR wrote:
That is a dealer issue and could so be avoided.

I agree that booking and accepting it in without having the parts on hand is a dealer issue, but the fact that the parts which are essential for the recall are unavailable through the supply chain - there are none available - is not a dealer issue.
Post #1012320 23rd Oct 2023 7:36pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Yep agree I called out the JLR parts issues on a confra call with JLR and my dealer principle when sorting the rejection of my Range Rover out. There was a lot of apologising. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
Post #1012326 23rd Oct 2023 7:45pm
Soup Dragon

Fully agree Redroof, a complete omnishambles.

It seems the factory is not short of pano roofs, Defenders are being built at record rates and ever decreasing leadtimes. IMO they should sort out existing customers spare part issues first before building more new cars. And thatā€™s coming from someone with a car on order!

So much energy in JLR seems to be directed at planning for the future (new platforms, new technology, new designs etc). All that should stop until they can get the customer service fundamentals right otherwise their whole strategy is built on sand.
Post #1012329 23rd Oct 2023 7:50pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Maybe contact JLR dealer in Derby who probably have a large stock of good used sunroof glass available.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1012330 23rd Oct 2023 7:53pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
They will just vet vac those outā€¦
Sell them as ā€œ exceptionally cleanā€

Thumbs Up
Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadsterā€¦ā€¦..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1012344 23rd Oct 2023 8:27pm
paramike

United Kingdom 
interesting reading I've been waiting over 6 weeks for a new wiper arm but no date given of the part arriving Big Cry https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-car...ting-parts
Post #1012356 23rd Oct 2023 9:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1