↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Single pedal driving - petrol electric hybrid - mad?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
markb110 wrote:
I think that the Ford Bronco has that feature but for off road use only.

What you described sounds awful and yes for all of us that react instinctively in the moment it could lead to a nasty accident.

The only saving grace now is that insurance companies are 'working' to ensure that no one will buy anything with a large lithium battery with the premiums they are charging.

I suspect they are describing it badly. Maybe you should try before bashing though?
Post #1012281 23rd Oct 2023 4:54pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Ianh wrote:
That system sounds very wrong,

in an emergency braking situation you tend to instinctively brace yourself for deceleration, which includes bracing your upper body with your hands and arms by gripping the steering wheel and your lower body with your legs and feet against a solid object, which in the case of a manual defender is one foot depressing the clutch pedal to the floor and the other depressing the brake pedal against hard resistance , this downward pressure of the feet is then added to by hard deceleration.

Lifting your foot off the pedal is not only counter intuitive but also completely unnatural and working against the physics of deceleration which would naturally have you applying pressure to the pedal and thus with this system reducing braking.

Also in normal driving, if your foot should slip off the pedal, would it slam on the brakes as if it were in an emergency braking situation... that would be a real danger as well.

There is still a brake pedal...... which you can use.

Plus modern cars have auto emergency braking. But even in 1 pedal modes you'll still need to use the brake pedal, just not as much. Really can't see what you are all getting so upset over... Question Question Question Question
Post #1012283 23rd Oct 2023 4:55pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
markb110 wrote:
I guess another question would be as soon as driving instructors are put into a position where their leased car needs replacing and they have to go fully electric; for those passing their tests, only a few parents will buy them an electric car (and insure it).

Which in turn means they wont be able to drive a affordable manual without forking out for another test if indeed they can find an instructor / tester with a manual in the future so what will then happen to the second hand market and our Classic Defenders / Series when its time to say goodbye and put it up for sale.........................

Or like in America where there is no such thing as an automatic or manual license. If you want to drive a manual you just look at a you tube video and learn yourself. Works perfectly fine there. People that like to drive manual are typically more mechanically inclined.

Just for Europe they are making endless rules about everything.
Post #1012299 23rd Oct 2023 5:52pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hi Texas

Couldn't agree more

?si=MwIaHzFcCNY9P4sJ

Rocket science always sounded simpler.... Rolling with laughter
Post #1012313 23rd Oct 2023 6:45pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
The Tesla 3 brakes (via the brake pedal!) are phenomenally good.

On the question of electric cars and young drivers, and learning to drive I know two people who have struggled to insure their teenagers on their EV cars. And they weren’t MachE Mustangs just bog standard EV Euro boxes. No reason was given to me. I have no idea why but the vehicles were chosen as being ‘normal’ so they could share them with the kids.

Something I have observed. The young of today will never have the fun of carrying out hand brake turns in the snow, Ice and wet grass. Electric hand brakes have a lot to answer for.

Well obviously I never drove like that but a friend told me that’s what he used to do when he was young Whistle
Post #1012314 23rd Oct 2023 6:54pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
[quote="Chicken Drumstick"]
Ianh wrote:
That system sounds very wrong,

Plus modern cars have auto emergency braking. But even in 1 pedal modes you'll still need to use the brake pedal, just not as much. Really can't see what you are all getting so upset over... Question Question Question Question

It has two pedals, drive it in auto it is just like any auto car but smoother Thumbs Up

All I was saying in the e-pedal mode as your foot comes off it stops. it is counter initiative , I am sure stamping on the brake pedal would have the same effect but driving it on one pedal would take some time to get the hang of it.

I was curious if ev's generally have two pedals or one? 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1012315 23rd Oct 2023 6:58pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
I don't know of any cars without a manual braking function. Ev included.
Post #1012350 23rd Oct 2023 9:02pm
west4x4

United Kingdom 
I fail to see the issue it still has a brake pedal. If you can cope with the difference between manual and auto then this isn’t an issue. The brain has capacity to cope with different techniques for different machines or we’d never be able to drive forklifts or tractors etc
Post #1013861 4th Nov 2023 10:29am
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Why would anyone learn to drive (and subsequently pass their test) on anything other than a manual car? They're starting from scratch, anybody with the attitude "driving's easy, just press a pedal and turn the steering wheel" shouldn't be on the road anyway.

Youngsters learning to drive can pick up anything, and any old(er) fogey who can't master clutch control etc., again shouldn't be on the road. Disabled persons a case in themselves...

Peter
Post #1013868 4th Nov 2023 10:55am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12