↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Sourcing center console for jump seat to console retrofit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
ckamps

United States 
Sourcing center console for jump seat to console retrofit
Any tips as to how I can source a fairly complete center console via either a salvage yard or used parts distributor (ideally in the US?

I see a fair number of wrecked Defenders on CoParts, but I have no idea what happens to those vehicles. Presumably, most of them get parted out.

I don’t mind needing to purchase the “hockey stick” side trim and armrest to match my D90’s current trim.

My alternative is to build up the center console from a mix of new and used parts.

Background

I’m keen to replace my 2021 D90 First Edition jump seat with an OEM center console. Preferably with the fridge and rear digital AC controls (yeah, not super necessary in a D90, but neat to have). I could add those features after the fact if they aren’t in a console that I source.

I don’t have much use for the jump seat given my current life situation. I’d rather have the modest storage and reduced bulk of the center console.

I may stick the jump seat in storage in the event that I sell the D90 and someone is really interested in having it over the center console. Alternatively, I’d be open to selling the jump seat once I remove it.

Yeah, I’ve read that some people have explored the swap and ran into issues, but I’m open for the challenge of at least attempting to move from the jump seat to center console. Hopefully, it might be easier in my direction given that I won’t be adding seatbelt stuff.

My first step will be to remove the front seats (sounds easy based on PowerfulUK’s D90 video) and the jump seat and simply drive without the jump seat until I can source center console parts. 2021 D90 Pangea First Edition

Last edited by ckamps on 27th Nov 2023 3:47pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1015592 19th Nov 2023 1:13am
Tim in Scotland

We call them vehicle scrappers in the UK, but try a Google search on “Land Rover Recycling yards in xxxxxxxx” . Xxxxxxx being your area or state. Be careful to state USA. I’m not sure if they are handed for left or right hand drive - doubt it as there are no switches other than for the built in powered cooler box - but as you had the jump seat you won’t have had that on your 1st Edition but you might like to add one as they are quite a nice thing to have. My 110 1st Edition had it and even here in less than sunny Scotland it was nice to have some cold drinks on a hot day. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1015604 19th Nov 2023 10:15am
ckamps

United States 
Thanks. I’ve been doing a lot of those types of searches to no avail. It’s pretty sobering to see how much of seemingly closed community the salvaged auto parts business is in the US. Technology doesn’t seem to have made a dent (pardon the pun) in that business. The last thing I want to do is spend time submitting a bunch of part request forms to a variety of salvage parts companies.

Earlier in the year, I noticed a used center console frame. I should have tried to get that for a decent price.

I’ll probably just start sourcing individual new and/or used parts for the retrofit. My first step will be to remove the front seats per Powerful UK’s video and take a crack at removing the jump seat. I’ll just use the D90 without the jump seat as I gather the center console parts. Next step will be to create a bill of material for the center console parts that are needed. 2021 D90 Pangea First Edition
Post #1016105 23rd Nov 2023 3:11am
mmbanf

Italy 
hi, I looked at this one, it's not cheap, but it also has a freezer.
HI.
Marco

https://parts.asm-autos.co.uk/find-auto-pa...4OC1hbTAx/
Post #1016109 23rd Nov 2023 7:17am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Shame you are not in the U.K. l might have swapped my console for your jump seat. l have the "Commercial" version which only has two seats.
So a third seat would be really useful.
When l bought it the jump seat was not available because JLR couldn't supply the clear sight rear view camera that comes with it due to chip shortages.

So l ordered the console instead.

But l wouldn't be concerned about not having the mirror, when there's someone in the jump seat it will only be like my van which (like most vans) had no rear window anyway.
Post #1016130 23rd Nov 2023 9:39am
ckamps

United States 
It’s not my first choice, but Alibaba / Aliexpress has several examples of new Defender center consoles available. For example, one for -$1,500 USD before shipping:

https://x.alibaba.com/AvAoUq

I also see the fridge available for -$700 before shipping:

https://x.alibaba.com/AvAohA

If many of the OEM parts are sourced from China, the quality of these parts might be similar to OEM. If I went this route, I’d ask for more detailed photos of the underlying parts. I’d also want to better understand the compatibility of the parts with OEM parts. E.g. could I use the OEM USB ports, arm rest, fridge, etc with this console. I bet the answer is yes but for this kind of money I’d want more assurance.

I have not yet looked into shipping costs or compared cost of DIY ordering on piece parts to assemble a center console from scratch to the Ali costs. 2021 D90 Pangea First Edition
Post #1016338 25th Nov 2023 2:01pm
Paladino

If anyone is interested for a swap - I have the centre seat but would prefer the console. (I can ship to London)
Post #1016372 25th Nov 2023 7:30pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Just so folks are aware....

the interface between the dash and the centre console is specific to a car with centre console ex factory.

A car built without centre console can not simply have the console added.

I looked into it in detail with drawings and a LR Engineer.

Not to say it cant be done with mods/adjustments but its not a case of buying console and just bolting it in..it won't fit against the dash.

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1016416 26th Nov 2023 11:20am
Paladino

On the one I did it was pretty easy. You remove the plastic part that holds the usb port and cigarette lighter. On the magnesium part you will have two holes - I installed rivnuts in them and screwed the console to the dashboard. For the connection to the floor you will need 4 brackets, two are identical, and two are different (left and right)
Post #1016417 26th Nov 2023 11:32am
LR Nuts

There are L663s with a jump seat, there are L663s with a console, there was a L663 model which had NEITHER !!

I have one of those vehicles, I think it was called a 'Step-Thru' and was based on an S model.
When I was looking for a second hand L663, this is the model I was looking for and luckily found one,

NO jump seat, NO console, just a very low level tray. I wanted to utilise this models space, later I fitted a 15ltr compressor fridge in that space (NOT the little fridge, that holds 4 tins of pop, which LR supply) but a proper fridge for an array of dairy products.

I am building a camper truck. There is so much wasted space in a L663, find it and use it !!!
Post #1016418 26th Nov 2023 11:39am
LR Nuts

found on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/355249738549?ha...R-qQotOEYw

CENTRE CONSOLE LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 2019 On X-DYNAMIC HSE 5 DOOR ESTATE

At £1,000 that is cheap, Duckworths had some earlier this year for £3K5
Post #1016984 1st Dec 2023 12:52pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
ironically if you specify one when building your car it adds just £260 to total cost

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1016987 1st Dec 2023 1:03pm
J77

Scotland 
My first 90, an S spec, I deleted the centre console as it was standard spec, but it was delivered with one Rolling Eyes. When the 90 was finally launched the one doing the dealer tour didn’t have it. I quite liked the space it freed up.

I wouldn’t mind fitting the jump seat. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1017034 1st Dec 2023 3:45pm
LR Nuts

It's how much ????

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/155941345829?ha...R_T10cuKYw

Click image to enlarge

(I have the fabric seat base and back support material cover, in the garage )
Post #1017999 10th Dec 2023 7:28pm
J77

Scotland 
Might be cheaper ordering a new Defender Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1018003 10th Dec 2023 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>