↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > lnsurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The problem with ‘Land Rover Insurance’ is that it gives the false hope that JLR are the Insurance company.

They work through a single broker that when the computer flash’s to say the phone is ringing the member of the broking staff answers the call ‘ Hi your through to Land Rover Insurance, how can I help you today…..’

The very next call, ‘Hi, your through to Toyota Insurance, blah, blah, blah’.

In a previous role for an insurance company I used to go and see a number of brokers and I saw the broker in question though for the life of me I can’t remember the name.

The vast majority of ‘deals’ are based on a three year profit / loss ratio. First two year good, third year is when the claims build up. The holding Insurer gets cold feet and does not want to continue past the third year, then another insurer pops up with a deal to the broker promising more commission if they move the book of business over at renewal, less the ones that claimed.

The broker rubs their hands together at the extra cash, and less work to do.

My guess it that the brokers are protecting existing deals, but at the same time data harvesting (which is worth more with no risk). Hence why you have to complete a full quote before they say NO, instead of just asking for the vehicle type and your post code and finishing the call in less than two minutes.

Chasing quotes is demoralising, especially when you know the staff are below the age of 23, still living at home with their parents, hardly have any other insurance apart from their own car and don’t have to pass the insurance exams because they are only trained to answer what’s on the computer.

This is the reality. Unfortunately JLR have walked away from the every day person by pushing inflated prices to attract what they think is their core market, and even they only see JLR as a status symbol.

Throw in increased costs, fires, slashed tyres and constant bad press, they will walk away one day and JLR can’t look at me with doe eyes, I haven’t got that kind of money if I was forced to give up my 90 TD5.
Post #1012714 26th Oct 2023 1:57pm
markb110

Well that didn’t take long to say that Land Rover Insurance is not in it for the long run……

The ‘broker’ is call Wrisk Transfer’ based in London with a board of Directors made up of non traditional broking experience.

They also support Volvo, Mini and other car manufacturers.

The Product Manager made an app for IPhone so I guess he as put together a quotation engine that works in a call centre environment with staff only trained to sell.

Based in London expect the covering insurer to be one of the London syndicates that most ordinary people have never heard of.

Looking at the directors and based on my past experience, they are building a book of business to sell in the future, and they will head off into the sun set with a bag full of cash and a vision of setting up a solar panel sales call centre.

You can make up your minds.

I think that JLR are sticking a plaster over the wound without even looking to see if the victim is terminal….
Post #1012716 26th Oct 2023 2:13pm
XplusYplusZ

I just renewed mine 5 days ago.

My then current insurer (Hastings Direct) sent me a letter telling me they couldn't insure me anymore. After a year of no claims - thanks guys..

I managed to find 2-3 insurers who COULD insure me, but my premium went up around 30%. I'm now with Admiral (approx £1600 fully comp, central london, with business insurance and premium coverage).

Big Cry
Post #1012829 27th Oct 2023 10:12am
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's not bad for central London.

My brothers friend has a new RRS in London and his best renewal quote was £27,000.
He's sold it.
ln some parts of London you can't get cover at all for Range Rovers.
Post #1012847 27th Oct 2023 1:59pm
Tobers

United Kingdom 
£650 for me on the Isle of Skye. Haven’t got one yet though - ordered and waiting. 57 yo and 20+ years NCB.
Post #1012894 27th Oct 2023 7:09pm
WizzardPrang

England 
£700 with NFU, protected NCB, just me driving. Up slightly from last year but 0% interest for paying monthly. Didn't bother shopping around. Current vehicle: 2020 Defender 110S
Gone: Defender 90 HT 200Tdi, Discovery Sport, Freelander 2

Insta: wizzardprang
Post #1012920 27th Oct 2023 9:47pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
That's pretty much what l've paid with LV for my D250 this week.

£700
Post #1012927 27th Oct 2023 11:16pm
XplusYplusZ

lightning wrote:
That's not bad for central London.

My brothers friend has a new RRS in London and his best renewal quote was £27,000.
He's sold it.
ln some parts of London you can't get cover at all for Range Rovers.

That is ridiculous! Was it an older one or latest model?

Imagine if JLR can't sell cars because nobody can insure them..

For less than £27k a year, you could buy a small holiday home somewhere in the sticks and insure the car at that address.. of course you wouldn't use it as your primary vehicle.. . . .. much .. ..
Post #1013321 31st Oct 2023 10:29am
camelman

United Kingdom 
Post #1013326 31st Oct 2023 10:57am
lac

Scotland 
So LR’s own insurance seems to be back on so thought I’d get a quote. All details added as per current policy, same miles etc etc and monthly was £111. Can’t seem to get an annual price but work out well over double what I recently paid. 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1018853 20th Dec 2023 9:03pm
Soup Dragon

Same here. Double the price of LV. You’d have to be desperate. Also odd that the quote is monthly when all other companies provide annual figues - maybe they think it looks more affordable quoting on this basis - they are mistaken.
Post #1018869 20th Dec 2023 11:41pm
J77

Scotland 
Confused sent me my quotes, though as I had to change insurance when I changed from the 110 XS Edition back to a 90, it’s not actually due until April. But they were eye opening, well over £1k for the year more than doubled. Will see what April brings. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1019626 30th Dec 2023 12:15pm
Tobers

United Kingdom 
Quite pleased here. I’m with Admiral. I had a VW T-Roc R at about £400/year. I live in Guildford, and have 20 years NCB as does Mrs T. Upgrading to my new D250 90 cost only £150, with 10 months of the policy to go.
Post #1019725 31st Dec 2023 6:46pm
markb110

?si=gwyGm6Z2InObkubg
Post #1019736 31st Dec 2023 8:08pm
J77

Scotland 
Had a look at LR new insurance just out of curiosity, £123p/m. Appears to be a subscription based. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #1019839 2nd Jan 2024 2:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>