↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Bonnet release mechanism
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lac

Scotland 
Bonnet release mechanism
Went to pop the bonnet the other day to top up windscreen wash and it failed to release. Bonnet release catch felt “spongy” and moved to the top of travel but no release. It has always felt spongy from new and only ever released at the top of the catch’s travel but didn’t think anymore about it. Obviously that was a mistake on my part!
Any one else had issues or suggest a quick fix although I feel a trip to the dealers will be on the cards. 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1017564 5th Dec 2023 10:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Pop around the front and give the top of the bonnet a good sharp push down then re-try the mechanism. I suspect it is pretty chilly up with you and things can get stiff in the cold.
Post #1017568 5th Dec 2023 10:56pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 V8 Petrol 50th Auto Chawton White
Yes mine was like this, it started off with just it failing to open on one or two occasions but steadily got worse. I asked them to have a look when it was in for service and they said they adjusted the mechanism and lubricated it and it has been fine ever since Thumbs Up Cheers Ian
--------------------
22MY Defender 110 D200 SE, Fuji White.
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Instagram @defender_v8
Post #1017573 6th Dec 2023 1:49am
lac

Scotland 
Cheers guys.

Hairy Dan sounds like you had the same issue as I’m experiencing.

Annoyingly the car was just in at the dealers for the 2 software updates and it was the day after I tried to open it when it failed. Hopefully the washer level light will stay off till I can get into the dealers 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1017577 6th Dec 2023 6:20am
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Mine did this too. Get someone to hold the lever up fully, or wedge it up, while you give a sharp press down on the front of the bonnet. That worked for me until the first service when they tried adjusting the cable but that only worked for a short time. In the meantime they'd ordered a new cable, which was on back order of course, but once fitted has fixed the problem so far.
Post #1017579 6th Dec 2023 6:50am
lac

Scotland 
Cheers for the tip geobloke and Nuclear Nick. Has been a bit icy up here but think it’s more needing adjusting or replaced. Will get the wife to try as I’m away till January now. Baa humbug! 110 D300 XD HSE, Carpathian, Tow pack. Air Susp pack, cold pack, hud,
Post #1017599 6th Dec 2023 10:56am
LR Nuts

just checked mine, popped open nicely.

Only downside was as I lifted the bonnet, water trickled out between the two skids and dribbled water over the plastic engine cover. In total about an egg cup full.

I am hoping this is heavy condensation built up over the couple of days I have not used the car. ??
Post #1017612 6th Dec 2023 12:34pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Cables stretch - it’s a known fault.
Post #1017651 6th Dec 2023 7:58pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Old habits die hard

As a previous owner of old Defenders l greased all these mechanisms when l got the new one. They were all dry, as in, no oil or grease on them.

The bonnet/hood release on mine works beautifully. To get to the catches properly you need to remove the cover from the front of the engine bay but it doesn't take more than a few minutes.
Post #1017692 7th Dec 2023 12:25pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:

Yes they can, but I’ve never had this fault with any other car, and this happened to my Defender only a couple of months after delivery. And strangely, adjustment made little or no difference so replacement seemed to be the only option on a car less than a year old having had the bonnet opened only a few times.
Post #1017934 9th Dec 2023 10:05pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
Old habits die hard

As a previous owner of old Defenders l greased all these mechanisms when l got the new one. They were all dry, as in, no oil or grease on them.

The bonnet/hood release on mine works beautifully. To get to the catches properly you need to remove the cover from the front of the engine bay but it doesn't take more than a few minutes.

I did this too when the car was new but the cable still stretched and had to be replaced.
Post #1017936 9th Dec 2023 10:07pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Nuclear Nick wrote:
Retroanaconda wrote:

Yes they can, but I’ve never had this fault with any other car, and this happened to my Defender only a couple of months after delivery. And strangely, adjustment made little or no difference so replacement seemed to be the only option on a car less than a year old having had the bonnet opened only a few times.

As I said, it’s a known fault. The cables are cheap rubbish quality and stretch, once adjusted they soon stretch more and will eventually snap. It’s been a known problem on Land Rovers for years.
Post #1017944 9th Dec 2023 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1