↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > New Airbox from Alisport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Ianh wrote:
Has anyone asked Allisport about water ingress into their airbox, I highlighted this on page 2 of this topic as it does happen with the Nugget Stuff airbox if you have a wing side or wing top air intake and the Allisport one looks functionally the same, I.e no water separator or drain fitted.

Ianh wrote:

Note: one issue that some have encountered when changing out the old airbox and intake pipe for a nugget one is during heavy rain moisture, in some cases a lot of water, gets into the airbox and soaks the filter and builds up in the bottom of the airbox ( a very bad thing).
This happens if the standard side or wing top is used for the new air intake pipe as there is no water separator or airbox drain fitted. As the Alisport solution does not have a moisture separator or airbox drain this could also cause moisture / water ingress during heavy rain.

The solution is to fit an RAI / snorkel with a cyclonic filter at the top.

So something to think on and ask Alisport about

The Allisport doesn’t have a water separator but I haven’t had a problem with water ingress with it. Mind you, I didn’t with my Nuggetstuff either. Both used the wing side vent. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1019890 2nd Jan 2024 8:14pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Ianh wrote:
Has anyone asked Allisport about water ingress into their airbox, I highlighted this on page 2 of this topic as it does happen with the Nugget Stuff airbox if you have a wing side or wing top air intake and the Allisport one looks functionally the same, I.e no water separator or drain fitted.

Ianh wrote:

Note: one issue that some have encountered when changing out the old airbox and intake pipe for a nugget one is during heavy rain moisture, in some cases a lot of water, gets into the airbox and soaks the filter and builds up in the bottom of the airbox ( a very bad thing).
This happens if the standard side or wing top is used for the new air intake pipe as there is no water separator or airbox drain fitted. As the Alisport solution does not have a moisture separator or airbox drain this could also cause moisture / water ingress during heavy rain.

The solution is to fit an RAI / snorkel with a cyclonic filter at the top.

So something to think on and ask Alisport about

Interestingly when I looked inside my current totally standard lr intake system and the filter box yesterday there was water in the webs below the filter. The water drain just inside the wing inlet was not blocked and also dripping.

My 130 has a nugget stuff side wing box and nugget air intake pipe to std air box. Think I will check that too.

Wing mount looks standard which I like.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1019892 2nd Jan 2024 8:39pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
andy63 wrote:
Thanks for that..👍

Is anyone able to post the dimensions of their filter or the make supplied with the kit..

When I looked up the numbers in the one in the pic it linked to a Ridex brand one. I’m sure the dims were there. Ridex is Autodoc’s own brand so I’m sure it’ll cross reference numerous others. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1019894 2nd Jan 2024 8:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Ianh wrote:

You will need to include a centrifugal precleaner if you want to avoid water ingress. I don't think any of the aftermarket filter boxes include separators so unless you provide an external separator you will get a soggy filter under wet conditions.

Click image to enlarge

If an external centrifuge bothers you you would be better off sticking with a standard unmodified airbox and upgrading just the pipework from wing to airbox.

I've never found even a hint of water in my Nuggetstuff filter housing (although it have ingested a surprising number of wasps this year).
Post #1019902 2nd Jan 2024 10:11pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black

Wing mount looks standard which I like.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
[/quote]

I like it a lot, also less restrictive than the original. It doesn’t look at all standard to me though. Not only is the design very different it sits more proud than OE. The rubber grommity things for the screws are a nice touch, even though I kept dropping one while pulling the hose through! Only issue is my OCD because it doesn’t match the wing tops… WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #1020008 3rd Jan 2024 8:21pm
jst

Well its been in a while now, i can post up some fitting pics? normal driving no noticeable increase in intake noise to me when in the vehicle. normal driving no massive immediate gains felt. towing yes it seems you can hold a gear for longer and it will pull a higher gear with less rpms. first longish trip yesterday, 180 miles sat at 65 up and back less the 18 miles of town driving avg 32.7 on scan gauge and 32.5 on actual fill. didnt do that before at 65mph. more like 29mpg.

nothing else really changed on vehicle. there were three of us in it not 4 but then no dogs with us yesterday but otherwise loaded similar Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1021354 16th Jan 2024 12:12am
Daphne

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
I fitted a nugget stuff one on mine with the intake pipe work kit, easy to fit took about 2 hours.
Post #1021839 19th Jan 2024 11:22pm
jst

Have one on my 110, have a spare nugget kit here too if anyone is looking. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #1021846 20th Jan 2024 12:06am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
jst wrote:
Well its been in a while now, i can post up some fitting pics? normal driving no noticeable increase in intake noise to me when in the vehicle. normal driving no massive immediate gains felt. towing yes it seems you can hold a gear for longer and it will pull a higher gear with less rpms. first longish trip yesterday, 180 miles sat at 65 up and back less the 18 miles of town driving avg 32.7 on scan gauge and 32.5 on actual fill. didnt do that before at 65mph. more like 29mpg.

nothing else really changed on vehicle. there were three of us in it not 4 but then no dogs with us yesterday but otherwise loaded similar

With a circa 10% increase in MPG it should pay for itself in a couple of years if you do 10k miles p.a Very Happy

Have you driven in any heavy rain for a reasonable distance ? i’m Still obsessing on water ingress into the airbox Rolling with laughter
Post #1021847 20th Jan 2024 12:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345