↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Old wheels but tread not worn
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Old wheels but tread not worn
How long can you use tyres from date of manufacture even if treads are not worn down?
Post #1006045 31st Aug 2023 6:02pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Depending on the temperature. In Dubai 3 years. Northern Europe 7-10 years. It's the sidewall you need to watch (cracking), but apart from obvious safety you will also find old tires are typically noisy as the thread is less playable and might also have less grip for the same reason
Post #1006049 31st Aug 2023 6:11pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: Old wheels but tread not worn
kmac wrote:
How long can you use tyres from date of manufacture even if treads are not worn down?

In the UK, as long as you like. Condition is what counts, not age.
Post #1006099 31st Aug 2023 9:35pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
No legal age limit for car tyres, but 10 years seems to be the advise in the industry if they otherwise appear healthy. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1006100 31st Aug 2023 9:45pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Totally agree on the 10 years, I just changed my 10 year old Goodyear wrangler Duratrac 265/75r16s after one punctured due to inner sidewall split. Plenty of tread left, no side wall cracking indication. 60k miles . So I would say 10 years max. Better before. Mine happened at slow speed on a country lane bend. It would have been a lot worse at higher speed on a motorway.
Post #1006104 31st Aug 2023 10:24pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Interesting thread. I have two sets of wheels and tyres, Goodyear MT's on Wolf steels (winter) and Continentals on original alloys. These must be the originals , no cracks, lots of tread but 13 years old.

I am more and more convinced they are giving a hard harsh ride compared to the Goodyear tyres. I got the impression they were hard and not flexing as much as I expected.

Maybe reading this regardless of the visual inspection being good they are past their sell by date. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1006108 31st Aug 2023 10:40pm
kmac

Thanks all - suspected 10 years was the guidelines.

Will change all five before one goes on the motorway.

Got to fix my clutch first....
Post #1006142 1st Sep 2023 10:25am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
In reality it depends on the life the tyres have had, rather than their age. I have met tyres which have been on properly-stored old vehicles (i.e., blocked to take the weight off the tyres and protected from UV) in excess of 30 years old which have been perfectly serviceable, yet at the other extreme I have met tyres less than five years old which I wouldn't dream of taking on the road.

It is of course better to err on the side of caution, and much wiser to replace a tyre which was actually OK than to fail to replace a tyre which is shot.

There are strict legal restrictions on tyre age for certain types of vehicle such as PSVs and HGVs, introduced as I recall after a fatal coach crash attributed to a 20-year-old-tyre which occurred in 2013, I think on the A3. From 1st February 2021 it has been illegal for front axles of HGVs including buses and coaches (vehicles above a gross vehicle weight of 3500 kgs) and all axles on minibuses when fitted in single configuration to use tyres aged more than 10 years. Apart from this, i.e., for private vehicles, there is no legal limit, the law just requires that the tyres are in a suitable condition.

According to that paragon of excellence Kwik Fit ( Shocked ) "There is no definitive tyre age limit as to when you should replace your tyres but once your tyres reach 7-10 years old, you should keep a close eye on their condition and consider replacing them.". Personally I would have hoped that all drivers keep a close eye on the condition of their tyres all the time irrespective of age, but I am probably just naively old-fashioned and optmistic in this!
Post #1006143 1st Sep 2023 10:40am
kmac

Thumbs Up
Post #1006156 1st Sep 2023 12:46pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
Personally I would have hoped that all drivers keep a close eye on the condition of their tyres all the time irrespective of age, but I am probably just naively old-fashioned and optmistic in this!

Sadly, that's not the case, generally people don't give their tyres a second thought. For my sins I work in road safety and one of my areas of work is tyres.

We've just this last week completed a study gathering data from many tyre retailers on the condition of tyres on cars that come into them for repair/replacement. We had data from over half a million tyres gathered in the last 18 months. About 18% of those tyres were already below the legal minimum tread depth when they were checked. I see from this and other work that people often wait to be prompted by the MOT/service before changing tyres and often never check them themselves.

With tyre pressure monitoring being standard on all new cars, you'd think that would be one less problem. Anecdotally I've heard people just hit the re-set/recalibrate button rather than be bothered checking the pressures Rolling Eyes 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1006173 1st Sep 2023 4:33pm
blackwolf

Bluest wrote:
... With tyre pressure monitoring being standard on all new cars, you'd think that would be one less problem. ...

Far from it. The more the car does for the driver, the more stupid the driver becomes. Why would you check you tyres when the car tells you if they're not OK?

We are on a slippery slope and what is at the bottom is not good.
Post #1006182 1st Sep 2023 5:17pm
marsie

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I have a set of michelins on my s2a that are like new on the tread but unfortunately cracked on the sidewall. But they are almost 25 years old Laughing 2000 90 TD5,galv chassis, d2 axles ,Bas remap , alisport intercooler , d2 transfer box , side windows-more to come-much more!! *GONE*
2004 110 TD5 Double cab. *GONE*
2010 110 2.4 XS station wagon
Post #1006818 7th Sep 2023 7:42pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Over here you get a notification on your MOT cert when your tyres reach six years of age. Not a fail as of yet. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1007805 16th Sep 2023 11:11am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Bluest wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
Personally I would have hoped that all drivers keep a close eye on the condition of their tyres all the time irrespective of age, but I am probably just naively old-fashioned and optmistic in this!

Sadly, that's not the case, generally people don't give their tyres a second thought. For my sins I work in road safety and one of my areas of work is tyres.

We've just this last week completed a study gathering data from many tyre retailers on the condition of tyres on cars that come into them for repair/replacement. We had data from over half a million tyres gathered in the last 18 months. About 18% of those tyres were already below the legal minimum tread depth when they were checked. I see from this and other work that people often wait to be prompted by the MOT/service before changing tyres and often never check them themselves.

With tyre pressure monitoring being standard on all new cars, you'd think that would be one less problem. Anecdotally I've heard people just hit the re-set/recalibrate button rather than be bothered checking the pressures Rolling Eyes

What has tyre pressure monitoring got to do with tread wear??? Nothing is the answer, at least not directly.

TPMS is one of the WORST things ever on new cars. My Jimny lights the dashboard up like a Christmas tree when the tyre pressure drops to 25psi from a 26psi normal inflation. The dash will then refuse to show you anything else as though it is the end of the world.

F'ing stupid thing. Even more so on a 4x4 when there are valid reasons and times you may want to run less than 26psi. A system implemented by idiots for idiots....
Post #1007872 16th Sep 2023 8:20pm
blackwolf

I don't agree it was implemented by idiots, more it was made mandatory by idiots. It is certainly aimed at allowing more idiots to do things they are fundamentally unable to do safely, specifically drive a road vehicle.
Post #1007874 16th Sep 2023 8:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1