↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender Owners - Is this true?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Why would you ever need to tow a Defender Rolling with laughter
Post #1005992 31st Aug 2023 9:35am
County V8

United Kingdom 
blackwolf wrote:
forzahog wrote:
... My understanding is that with any permanent all wheel drive system, you would run into the same problem. ...

Not "any" 4WD system, for example there is no problem towing a Defender with an LT230 since it has a simple mechanical diff in the centre. It is generally a problem with modern clutch-based 4WD systems.

I imagine that the Grenadier can also be towed with the transfer box in neutral since although it has an auto box it has (as far as I know) a traditional transfer box.

You can put it. in neutral manually by trining. a nut on gearbox.
Post #1006006 31st Aug 2023 11:39am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
At lest it’s not a the Tesla that broke down on the A36 yesterday and cause nine hours of tailbacks because it could not be moved and a needed to be lifted onto a flat bed……

Ah, progress. Laughing .
Post #1006020 31st Aug 2023 1:44pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
It is honestly enough to make you cry in despair... Rolling Eyes
Post #1006022 31st Aug 2023 2:04pm
stevemfr

France 
County V8 wrote:
blackwolf wrote:
forzahog wrote:
... My understanding is that with any permanent all wheel drive system, you would run into the same problem. ...

Not "any" 4WD system, for example there is no problem towing a Defender with an LT230 since it has a simple mechanical diff in the centre. It is generally a problem with modern clutch-based 4WD systems.

I imagine that the Grenadier can also be towed with the transfer box in neutral since although it has an auto box it has (as far as I know) a traditional transfer box.

You can put it. in neutral manually by trining. a nut on gearbox.

Actually, there's supposed to be a lever attached to the shaft that the nut you're referring to is on, and that is connected to a second lever under the engine cover that you can pull and lock into place to put the trans into N. But not all Defenders were delivered with that in place - mine for instance (MY2023 D250).

And it's not quite as simple as turning the nut (which is also missing just like the rest of the mechanism if it's not delivered with the vehicle). You have a shaft with 2 flats exiting the middle of the transmission on the left side. You need to attach locking pliers or similar to the 2 flats, turn the shaft (bottom of the locking pliers goes forward), and keep the pliers in the turned position with cable ties or similar.

Ask me how I know. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1006111 31st Aug 2023 11:47pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I watched the video, not my taste.

Old people with old car experience (like myself) talking about modern cars is never really a good setting.

Times have changed, people expect different things of their cars and very few people actually do adventures with their cars, most people just talk about it.
Post #1006121 1st Sep 2023 4:45am
lightning

United Kingdom 
What's the "low battery" issue they are all going on about? l've used our new Defender for camping trips where it's not been started for days, and l've been in and out of the vehicle multiple times to get stuff.

l've never had the "low battery" warning.

They are saying that the vehicle powered up for 15 minutes when you open the door. Mine doesn't do that, the screen does come on and you can hear a motor running but it all stops after a minute or two if you don't start the engine.
Post #1006128 1st Sep 2023 8:16am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I've had the situation he was talking about with the battery, although not on a defender but a Mercedes.

The scenario plays out like this:

I leave my to old to drive but perfectly good Mercedes ( according to Mr Kahn ) behind your stall at a country show overnight, then open and close the doors or boot all day while getting stuff in and out of it. Pack up at the end of the day, hitch up the trailer and get ready to drive off.

Car won't start.

It seems that this is because the battery voltage must have dropped below a set level and it won't turn over, although main beam works, along with all the dash lights,horn and so on.

The car needs a jump start and were on our way.

We now start it every couple of hours for ten minutes.

So presumably the new defender along with lots of other ' modern' cars work in a similar manner.
Post #1006129 1st Sep 2023 8:46am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I remember in the 70s my parents occasionally leaving the interior light on (for those cars equipped with this feature) resulting in a flat battery. Or at occasion the headlights for that matter.

I suppose the difference then was that we did not have Youtube to complain about it. In fact it was just one of those things..
Post #1006131 1st Sep 2023 8:52am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Also, leaving the interior light on was a mistake that could flatten the battery. In this case the battery is going flat in normal use, apparently

Although it's never happened with my Defender
Post #1006169 1st Sep 2023 3:11pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
TexasRover wrote:
I remember in the 70s my parents occasionally leaving the interior light on (for those cars equipped with this feature) resulting in a flat battery. Or at occasion the headlights for that matter.

I suppose the difference then was that we did not have Youtube to complain about it. In fact it was just one of those things..

At least you could point it down hill, give it a push, then jump start it...
Post #1006172 1st Sep 2023 4:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Or if it was a Land-Rover (or an old enough car), use the starting handle.
Post #1006183 1st Sep 2023 5:18pm
Muehae

Germany 
Quite sad to watch. He has done some impressive cars, no doubt. ASPW just stop developing ten or so years ago. A very narrow minded whining individual.

What’s the point man, so much effort in cooking during camping but no effort in trying to learn something about contemporary car electronics. I would love to see him accepting the challenge dealing with modern cars. Is there a problem carrying a laptop? He has one for his work anyway, no.

And it is of course LR's fault. He is ever so critical on new LR products but same arguments never seem to catch on to the 300 series, grenadier, etc.

- Payload new defender 800kg too low, 700 in a grenadier no problem
- automatic transmission equals no towing of new defender but no problem to grenadier or 300 series
- Range of 800 km unladen problem for the new defender, 550 km unladen in a grenadier is of course not even mentioned.
- weight of nearly 2.9 t unladen (see Harry’s garage review) of the grenadier is of course no problem

He does forget the 50/50/50 rule of thumb for every automatic transmission vehicle (50 km towing with 50 km/h causes 50% damage the gearbox).

Again sad to watch
Post #1006335 3rd Sep 2023 1:34pm
BruceT

South Africa 
I have not watched the video but can pretty much guess what he is whining about.

I think he is more interested in views to his channel than the accuracy of the stuff he spews out.
If he has the views he gets the sponsors. Simple and that's all he cares about.

I have had the low battery warning when I first got the ND but sone over came that. On that note none of my old school overlanding vehicles warned me about a low battery. I would find out when trying to start the vehicle sometimes.

I will continue to enjoy my New Defender way off of the usual roads in Southern Africa. If it breaks down I will deal with it. It's so far the best vehicle I have ever "overlanded" in. "Overlanding With Bruce" - Youtube https://www.youtube.com/@OverlandingwithBruce
11MY Defender 130
23MY Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzrHKcjA-LJ470_H4QwPgVA
Post #1006636 6th Sep 2023 8:43am
Moo

Ukraine 
I fitted a dual battery system into my daughter's 2008 D3 for her recent trips to ru her fridge / freezer knowing how voltage sensitive these beasties are. No issues whatsoever. It just needs a bit of planning and adaptation. Next I will fit a solar panel on her bonnet from Lensun Solar so she shouldn't have any power issues.

Click image to enlarge

On my Defender, I'm going to a second fit an AGM dual purpose battery battery under the bonnet and a 100ah LiFePo4 battery in the rear using a DC-DC controller. I'm also going to but a Lensun solar panel on the boot to charge things when the engine is not running and I will also probably have some additional brief case panels to give it a boost.

Click image to enlarge

These and other over landers, like Bruce seem to manage OK.

https://afterthelandroverexperience.com/defender/

It might be a bit overkill, but it should see me through what I plan to do.

As for electronics, I have a GAP IID that should get me out of most holes other than catastrophic mechanical damage. If that happens then its a case of throwing money at the problem to get it recovered.

There is always a solution. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1006641 6th Sep 2023 9:33am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>