↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > For Sale & Wanted > [Wanted] X-Deflex 30mm spacers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
[Wanted] X-Deflex 30mm spacers
Little bit of a long shot this, I finally got around yesterday to fitting the X-Deflex rear ARB I bought a while ago to my Defender. Due to having a non-standard tank guard I ordered the version with 60mm spacers, but it is evident now that 30mm spacers would result in a better fit.

Before I either fabricobble something together or hassle Foundry 4x4 I thought I'd just ask on the off chance that someone has a pair surplus to requirements.

If anyone does, I'd be pleased to hear from you, thanks.
Post #1001417 23rd Jul 2023 5:02pm
Bps

United Kingdom 
I’ve just fitted arb spacers to my wolf from dds. Might be easier to use them, solid alloy block. I’ll get a measurement on what mine are when/if it stops raining
Post #1001449 23rd Jul 2023 8:22pm
blackwolf

Just to follow up and close this, I've just ordered a pair of 30mm spacers from Foundry 4x4 at a very reasonable cost, so hopefully the parts will arrive soon.
Post #1001534 24th Jul 2023 2:31pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Baltic Blue
Please let me know what you think of the X-Deflex once fitted. I’ve pondering one for months. 2011 130 Utility Body
2005 110 Van
Post #1001627 25th Jul 2023 3:20am
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
I quite like mine 🙂

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001631 25th Jul 2023 7:02am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
mwestcrew wrote:
Please let me know what you think of the X-Deflex once fitted. I’ve pondering one for months.

Ditto to that Thumbs Up Miffy has had one fitted for many many years now and it is fabulous, especially when you have a full SD roll cage. The ability to disconnect it gets so many Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

The only thing I have had to do was to strengthen the spacers as they were not strong enough for the weight of a fully laden Miffy Rolling Eyes All it took was a small plate welded in position and they have been excellent for 8 years or so.

Just remember that the locking hub needs maintaining from time to time and during winter it is worth smearing a little grease over the locking ring gap as I have had it freeze in position. Talking of grease, make sure the small cap head Allen bolts of the hub are properly greased for future servicing ease Thumbs Up

In fact I have just finished refurbing the X-Deflex as it desperately needed a little love

Click image to enlarge

Yuk... But credit to the kit it still worked in this state. Now however it has been Raptored...

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001639 25th Jul 2023 8:57am
blackwolf

mwestcrew wrote:
Please let me know what you think of the X-Deflex once fitted. I’ve pondering one for months.

Of course. To set the background, my Defender is a 2007 County-spec double-cab 110 and as such had neither front nor rear ARBs when it left the factory. Not long after buying it I fitted a Patriot full-length rack, which is a fairly heavy thing when unladen. I also tend occasionally to carry on the rack stuff with sufficient mass to make the fun police choke on their cappuccino, and it must be said that at times the body roll was both spectacular and quite disconcerting.

For this reason, many years ago now, I fitted standard take-off front and rear ARBs sourced from forum members. These made a huge difference and reduced the body roll in normal driving to wholly acceptable and generally very good limits.

Any fixed ARB is a compromise between stiffness and articulation and I have always been attracted to the X-Deflex product due to it being stiffer when active but also completely disconnectable when articulation is needed. It is also a neater solution than most of the US "sway bar" disconnect systems. The fact that the rubber ball-joint gaiters on my rear ARB drop links needed replacing gave me the justification (if any was needed) to upgrade, after all why pay £10 for a couple of rubber boots when you can pay hundreds for a shiny upgrade? Very Happy

I fitted the X-Delfex last Saturday, in the rain, getting very wet in the process. Despite the conditions it was incredibly easy to fit, it only took about an hour including the time needed to take the old ARB off, and was all possible working with the vehicle on the ground, no jacking required. It is a very close fit to the rear brake lines however it does fit without fouling them. The geometry is interesting compared to the Land-Rover ARB but evidently works. There is a couple of design features of the X-Deflex which surprise me and give me minor concern, specifically there is nothing (other than the plastic cap) stopping the drive flange at the n /s of the bar sliding inboard along the bar, and there is only a soft aluminium ring secured by an M6 setscrew stopping the free-wheeling hub sliding off the bar on the o/s. This is probably not how I would have designed the system, but I have never heard of a single problem arising from this so I don't suppose it is an issue, I guess time will tell.

I had ordered the kit with 60mm spacers since my measurements suggested that 30mm spacers would be a bit borderline for fit with my non-standard tank guard, but after fitting it became apparent that 30mm spacers will be better and will put the bar closer to the tank guard. As noted above, I have now ordered a pair of the 30mm spacers and will fit them when they arrive. At the moment mine looks very like Rustandoil's in the photo above, there is a significant gap between the bar and the tank guard and I would like to see this reduced.

The first drive with the X-Deflex fitted was interesting and surprising. I was not really expecting a huge difference given that there was a standard ARB on the vehicle before, however the rear end feels much firmer, and also mysteriously smoother, there is a very definite and noticeable improvement in the on-road manners of the vehicle. It is also an interesting reminder on how much difference a decent ARB makes if you unlock the bar and go for a drive, the contrast is startling. Overall I feel that the X-Deflex provides a significant improvement on the road over the standard ARB.

My overall summary therefore is as follows:
    Is it easy to fit? Yes, very.
    Does it make a difference? Yes, absolutely.
    Is it well-engineered? Yes, appears to be.
    Am I pleased with it? Yes, certainly am.
    Would I recommend it? Yes, without hesitation if you want good road manners AND articulation.

I should add that when I spoke n the phone to Foundry 4x4 to order a pair of the 30mm spacers, the chap I spoke to was very helpful. Assuming the parts arrive promptly the after-sales service gets the thumbs-up as well.
Post #1001649 25th Jul 2023 9:38am
blackwolf

As a follow-up to my last sentence in the post above, I ordered a the 30mm spacers at lunchtime on Monday and they were delivered at lunchtime on Wednesday. Hard to beat that level of service, so public credit to the team at Foundry 4x4. Thumbs Up
Post #1001889 26th Jul 2023 6:55pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Interesting comments and good to hear a positive customer experience 👍🏻
It would be great if you post a picture of your X Deflex install with the 30mm spacers.
I have considered machining up some aluminum blocks to get the bar a little higher.
Post #1001893 26th Jul 2023 7:15pm
blackwolf

Happy to. I'll take some pics as it is with the 60s and again with the 30s. The 30s were £25 plus £8 p&p (Inc the VAT) which is less than it would have cost me to fabricobble a set. Also they're shiny too! Very Happy
Post #1001895 26th Jul 2023 7:39pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Great report and recommendation - didn’t realise they had four times the torsional rigidity (if that’s the correct term?) in ‘locked’ mode compared to std ARB so that explains the improved on-road manners 👍

Looking forward to the photos.
Post #1001952 27th Jul 2023 8:34am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
I am going to post this up as it may be useful to those of you that regularly carry heavy loads. Miffy does with her roll cage and internal fitments.

What I noticed is that the raised flat that the bush sits on began to bend inwards on both mounts. It is not a good design.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So I contacted Foundry and they sent out a replacement pair of identical brackets. I then strengthened the rear of the bush mounting portion by welding in some plate. It has been like this for over 8 years or so and it has not moved a bit and you all know Miffy doesn't spend her time in a garage.

IMHO it is a worthwhile modification to the bracket. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1001963 27th Jul 2023 9:40am
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
Would box section be better? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1001972 27th Jul 2023 11:09am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
The original X-Deflex spacers were box section. This is the "new and improved" design.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

The other interesting modification to this kit that I have seen is courtesy of our Australian cousins;

They apparently had problems with the curved arms bending out of shape after going bush:

https://www.aulro.com/afvb/the-modified-zo...kit-4.html
Post #1001978 27th Jul 2023 12:10pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
EDIT: Double post
Post #1001979 27th Jul 2023 12:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>