↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Ignition Switch Replacement - How the @$%* do I fit it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Ignition Switch Replacement - How the @$%* do I fit it?
Monring all,

New ignition switch has finally arrived, and I'm hoping to fit it today. But can the old part be removed and the new one fitted without removing the entire ignition housing? If so, can someone please tell me how?

If not, how the 'eff' do you get the ignition housing off? What kind of bolts are used to fix it to the steering column? The heads (pointing downwards from the threaded hole at the 3 and 9 o'clock position of the column) can best be described as looking like the head of a Torx key. i.e. a bolt shaped head with fins, not a nut or hex head etc.

Click image to enlarge

What are they and if I can't simply replace the switch, how the hell do I get them off?

Help, as always, hugely appreciated.

Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #1004177 15th Aug 2023 9:06am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You need an e-Torx (external Torx) socket of the appropriate size, widely available from the usual sources (Amazon, Halfords, etc).

They are usually shear bolts so the head breaks off at the relevant torque. The problem usually is removing the old ones. If the photo is your existing lock be aware that they may shear when you try to remove them because the heads should already have been removed.
Post #1004184 15th Aug 2023 10:01am
jpboost

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Morning,

I don't know if you can replace the switch on its own, I replaced the whole barrel assembly as my issue related to the key rather than the switch.

The bolt in the picture is one of the shear bolts that holds the assembly together.
You're very luck it's still go the bolt head on it, as this means you should be able to (carefully) undo the bolts. For the rest of us in this situation, that bolt head has been snapped off during fitting, and you have the awkward task of getting a drill in there to drill out the remainder of the bolt head.

Normally you have to loosen the dash and move it forward 6 inches to be able to get the drill in there, but with any luck you'll be able to avoid all that.

It's an external torx bolt, and you can buy spanners/sockets to fit in the usual tool shops. I already had the tools as some of the german cars I used to own a decade or so back had bolts like that on some engine/transmission fittings. I can't remember exactly what I used when I changed out my switch, but here's an amazon link to the kinds of spanners I have. I can't remember the sizes though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Spanner-pr...amp;sr=8-7

Get the right spanner/socket, take some cod liver oil supplements (or whatever is supposed to make you flexible) and go at it.

Good luck!
Post #1004185 15th Aug 2023 10:08am
Grenadier

blackwolf wrote:
You need an e-Torx (external Torx) socket of the appropriate size, widely available from the usual sources (Amazon, Halfords, etc).

They are usually shear bolts so the head breaks off at the relevant torque. The problem usually is removing the old ones. If the photo is your existing lock be aware that they may shear when you try to remove them because the heads should already have been removed.

Thanks Blackwolf. More tools to buy and unlike the UK, tool shops are closed on Bank Holidays (as today) in France. I may have to simply do the French Bank Holiday thing and have a BBQ with a lot of red wine.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #1004191 15th Aug 2023 10:49am
Grenadier

jpboost wrote:
Morning,

I don't know if you can replace the switch on its own, I replaced the whole barrel assembly as my issue related to the key rather than the switch.

The bolt in the picture is one of the shear bolts that holds the assembly together.
You're very luck it's still go the bolt head on it, as this means you should be able to (carefully) undo the bolts. For the rest of us in this situation, that bolt head has been snapped off during fitting, and you have the awkward task of getting a drill in there to drill out the remainder of the bolt head.

Normally you have to loosen the dash and move it forward 6 inches to be able to get the drill in there, but with any luck you'll be able to avoid all that.

It's an external torx bolt, and you can buy spanners/sockets to fit in the usual tool shops. I already had the tools as some of the german cars I used to own a decade or so back had bolts like that on some engine/transmission fittings. I can't remember exactly what I used when I changed out my switch, but here's an amazon link to the kinds of spanners I have. I can't remember the sizes though.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Spanner-pr...amp;sr=8-7

Get the right spanner/socket, take some cod liver oil supplements (or whatever is supposed to make you flexible) and go at it.

Good luck!

Thanks JP. I'll see if I can source a set locally. It's a 50/50 gamble where I live. In theory it's quicker buying from a shop (closed today), but DIY/Auto shops are woefully understocked in France and it may be an order-only item. That can be up to three weeks, so then I pop on to Amazon and buy what I need and hope that it's less than three weeks. Whilst nothing would get me to move back to the UK, (perhaps being gifted a quintessential country pub might), I do miss the shops always being open and fully stocked and that in the main an Amazon delivery is at your door in 24hrs.

Here's an example: My wife and I ordered a single box of kitchen tiles TWO weeks before the end of July, ergo two weeks before the start of the French August holidays. On the order it states the tiles will arrive, quote 'mid September at best'. Because the tile shop is closed for the whole of August. Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #1004193 15th Aug 2023 10:58am
Grenadier

jpboost wrote:
Morning,

PS. How did you know it was the key rather than the switch? My key turns ok, altough I must confess that on thinking about it, I have sometimes found it impossible to unlock without quite a bit of effort. But the reason I went switch is the classic 'heater/radio turn off' when the key is at position 2. It does always start. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #1004194 15th Aug 2023 11:01am
Cragster69

Scotland 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Cairns Blue
Some links to LRA's build page.

Ignition switch

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post933318.html#933318

X eng ignition lock install

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post783667.html#783667

These might help with the general method. Craig.

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet.” ― Abraham Lincoln

www.scotgrc.co.uk
Post #1004202 15th Aug 2023 11:31am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Have a look at this topic https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56773...p;start=45

Also this https://www.defender2.net/forum/post933318.html#933318

I’m sure I read another topic where the tiny screw on the left had side (you can see and get at the right hand side one ) was accessed to get the switch out without needing to remove the barrel , clamp and shear bolts but can’t find it at present.

On the shear bolt heads you have, Lucky they have not been sheared but as the bolts have thread lock on them they may when attempting to remove them.

Re the e torx bolt head, sometimes a 12point socket or ring spanner will fit, so worth a try if you have some already.
Post #1004204 15th Aug 2023 11:37am
jpboost

Grenadier wrote:

PS. How did you know it was the key rather than the switch? My key turns ok, although I must confess that on thinking about it, I have sometimes found it impossible to unlock without quite a bit of effort. But the reason I went switch is the classic 'heater/radio turn off' when the key is at position 2. It does always start.

Mine suddenly got to the point that the key wouldn't turn. Lots of jiggling about for 10 mins and then it would be fine for a few days.... I couldn't live with the risk of getting stranded, so I just replaced the lot.

After I'd removed it, I did apply graphite lube to the old barrel and it seemed fine after that, so I stuck it on the shelf as a spare. But that said, it's an awkward job, I wouldn't ever bother refitting a second hand one. It'll go in the skip next time I have a sort out.

As someone else commented, I'd try to wedge a suitable sized socket on there and see if they undo. They may well shear anyway, but I'd give it a go. Have you got new bolts to go in? As you're unsure of the fixing I'm assuming you've not bought new ones to go with the switch/barrel?
Plenty of people just refit with normal bolts anyway, and accept the risk of being easier to steal vs the pain of ever having to drill them out again.
Post #1004208 15th Aug 2023 11:49am
Grenadier

Thanks Ianh and Cragster. Very useful run-throughs from Skip and LRA. Also led me down the rabbit hole of more stuff to buy having come across the website of Design Development Engineering for the first time. Some lovely bits and bobs there.

Looks like it might be a get it all out job. I do like LRA's take on sacrificing the smaller clamp, but it will just mean more delay and cost finding a replacement on line. So, I'll hope that I can at least get the shear bolts off without them snappping. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 15th Aug 2023 12:10pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1004210 15th Aug 2023 12:02pm
Grenadier

jpboost wrote:
Grenadier wrote:

PS. How did you know it was the key rather than the switch? My key turns ok, although I must confess that on thinking about it, I have sometimes found it impossible to unlock without quite a bit of effort. But the reason I went switch is the classic 'heater/radio turn off' when the key is at position 2. It does always start.

Mine suddenly got to the point that the key wouldn't turn. Lots of jiggling about for 10 mins and then it would be fine for a few days.... I couldn't live with the risk of getting stranded, so I just replaced the lot.

After I'd removed it, I did apply graphite lube to the old barrel and it seemed fine after that, so I stuck it on the shelf as a spare. But that said, it's an awkward job, I wouldn't ever bother refitting a second hand one. It'll go in the skip next time I have a sort out.

As someone else commented, I'd try to wedge a suitable sized socket on there and see if they undo. They may well shear anyway, but I'd give it a go. Have you got new bolts to go in? As you're unsure of the fixing I'm assuming you've not bought new ones to go with the switch/barrel?
Plenty of people just refit with normal bolts anyway, and accept the risk of being easier to steal vs the pain of ever having to drill them out again.

Thanks again.

Mmmmmm. Sounds like a similar problem I've had with mine with the key not turning at all and no amount of wiggling (key or wheel) would seem to make it budge. And then it suddenly would. Wonder if I should replace the lot? But does that mean a new key or could you swap the barrel? IF anew key then I guess I'd get a set with two extra locks for the doors? Who'd have thought one such tiny swith could cause so much grief. Meanwhile my wife gets in her (German) car and just drives off.... Rolling Eyes Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #1004211 15th Aug 2023 12:05pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Those heads are meant to be sheared off so you might get lucky screwing them out.

I have sent you a pm not posting publicly.
Post #1004212 15th Aug 2023 12:07pm
jpboost

Grenadier wrote:

Thanks again.

Mmmmmm. Sounds like a similar problem I've had with mine with the key not turning at all and no amount of wiggling (key or wheel) would seem to make it budge. And then it suddenly would. Wonder if I should replace the lot? But does that mean a new key or could you swap the barrel? IF anew key then I guess I'd get a set with two extra locks for the doors? Who'd have thought one such tiny swith could cause so much grief. Meanwhile my wife gets in her (German) car and just drives off.... Rolling Eyes

That sounds familiar.
Yes it means a new key. There are 2 different (genuine) partnos.
1 partno is for just the ignition lock/switch assembly with keys, the other is the ignition lock/swich assembly, keys and 2 matching door barrels. - So you can get the car back to matching locks/1 key all round.

I chose the latter, and can confirm the barrel change only take a few minutes on the drivers and rear door.

Weirdly the kit including the barrels was cheaper than the kit without them, but that no longer seems the case.

I can probably find the partno's somewhere if you need them...

edit: full set I used was LR069891 - About £125+Vat - genuine, although bluebox is available for about half that. I used genuine as I couldn't take the risk of any issues that delayed getting the car back on the road.

smaller kit is LR077439

Sheer bolts are QRH100030

you may want to pick up a spare clamp in case you end up drilling and damage it. I didn't need one, but I thinkt the partno is QRG500010
Post #1004229 15th Aug 2023 12:55pm
Grenadier

That's brilliant, thanks JP. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #1004259 15th Aug 2023 4:52pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I remover several where the head was sheared (as it should). Very easy and quick with a thin punch sharp enough to bite into the remaining smooth head. Takes about 1 min, so great safety feature. I normally fit regular bolts, makes it easier to remove..
Post #1004261 15th Aug 2023 5:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>