Home > Puma (Tdci) > Removing interior heater matrix
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Removing interior heater matrix
Hi All,

Can anyone help me out please, tonight I removed my entire dash as I need to replace it, and am going to do my bulkhead/firewall matting at the same time as it’s tatty and worn.

In order to do the bulkhead/firewall matting I need to remove the heater matrix that sits on top of the transmission tunnel. Can anyone advise me of the steps needed to remove this please? And an idea of the level of complexity… ideally I want to do the firewall matting in one piece, but it the heater is going to make access is substantially to do so then I may just cut it in half and go down the east route.

Thanks
K
Post #1004435 16th Aug 2023 10:18pm
Ad-doublecab

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Loire Blue
If your taken the dash out most of the hard work is done, drain the coolant unbolt the box disconnect the pipes to the matrix engine side and push through be careful not to break the seal on the pipes fitting to matrix. Had to do this when fitting aircon I cant remember it being difficult
Post #1004441 16th Aug 2023 11:15pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the info mate! just out of interest, is there enough play in the hoses to move it forward by, say, 6 inches so i can access the Bulkhead/firewall matting without having to fully remove?

If I ultimately do need to fully remove the matrix, how would I go about draining the coolant - is it the engine coolant or does it have its own reservoir? Also, can the hoses be disconnected from the pipes without needing to remove the part of the heater in the engine bay?

Apologies if these are daft questions, its been a long time since i worked on cars (hence working on something as simple as a defender to get me back into the swing of it).

Cheers
Kieren
Post #1004452 17th Aug 2023 7:48am
Ad-doublecab

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi DCPU Loire Blue
I’m not sure if there’s that much play in the hoses, worth a try before draining the coolant you and yes it is the engine coolant

2.4L TDCi HPCR Puma - Engine Cooling Cooling System Draining, Filling and Bleeding Procedures:

WARNING: Since injury such as scalding could be caused by escaping steam or coolant, do not remove the filler cap from the coolant expansion tank while the system is hot.
CAUTIONS: The engine cooling system must be maintained with the correct concentration and type of anti-freeze solution to prevent corrosion and frost damage. Failure to follow this instruction may result in damage to the engine. Engine coolant will damage the paint finished surfaces. If spilt, immediately remove the coolant and clean the area with water.

1. Set the heater controls to Hot.

2. Remove the coolant expansion tank cap. WARNING: Since injury such as scalding could be caused by escaping steam or coolant, do not remove the filler cap from the coolant expansion tank while the system is hot.

3. Loosen the cooling system bleed screw.

4. Raise and support the vehicle.
WARNING: Do not work on or under a vehicle supported only by a jack. Always support the vehicle on safety stands.

5. Disconnect the 2 fuel cooler coolant pipes. Allow the coolant to drain.
WARNING: Eye protection must be worn. NOTE: Position a container to collect the coolant.

6. Disconnect the oil thermostat coolant hose.

7. Allow the coolant to drain.

8. Connect the 2 fuel cooler coolant pipes.

9. Connect the oil thermostat coolant hose.

10. Fill the cooling system expansion tank until the coolant level becomes static with in the "COLD FILL RANGE".
CAUTIONS: Engine coolant will damage the paint finished surfaces. If spilt, immediately remove the coolant and clean the area with water. Anti-freeze concentration must be maintained at 50%.

11. Tighten the cooling system bleed screw.

12. Install the coolant expansion tank cap.

13. Observe the engine temperature gauge. If the engine starts to over-heat switch off immediately and allow to cool. Failure to follow this instruction may cause damage to the vehicle.
CAUTIONS: Make sure the coolant level remains above the "COLD FILL RANGE" lower level mark.

- Start and run the engine.
- Hold the engine speed at 3,000 RPM for one minute.
- Return the engine to idle for five minutes.
- Hold the engine speed at 3,000 RPM for one minute.
- Run the engine until the thermostat opens.

14. Release the cooling system pressure by slowly turning the coolant expansion tank cap a quarter of a turn. Cover the expansion tank cap with a thick cloth to prevent the possibility of scalding.
WARNING: Failure to follow this instruction may result in personal injury.

NOTE: When the coolant bleed is complete and prior to installing the expansion tank cap, top-up the expansion tank to 30mm above the maximum level.
- Switch the engine off.
- Remove the coolant expansion cap, allow the level to settle and top-up so that the level is 30mm above the upper level.
- Allow the engine to cool.

15. Clean any spilt coolant from the vehicle.

16. Check and top-up the coolant if required.
Post #1004660 18th Aug 2023 7:45pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Amazing, thank you mate. I’ve decided to just cut the bulkhead matting down the middle and slotting it in behind from either side… good info for future reference though 🙂
Post #1004674 18th Aug 2023 8:34pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1