↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Main beam and dip beam won't work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Martin S

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Chawton White
Main beam and dip beam won't work
My headlights main and dipped have stopped working. I've had the problem b fire so have swapped the column switch and fitted a relay a few years ago. That worked well until yesterday. The headlights (both ) would go off and flicking on and off the switch and main beam dip switch the would come on - until no more. I tested the the main light switch - that's good. As a temporary fix i hard wired the relay to a supply and the lights came on to get me where I was going. Then they just switched and came back on. I disconnected my temporary fix. Went back to the car later and the temporary fix doesn't work! Sides come on with the switch. When i try to connect the lights i can hear a clicking sometimes - but it's not the relays. Any ideas?
Post #1020373 7th Jan 2024 2:01pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Probably a relay failure, but remember IF you are using an upgrade loom then the switch is the trigger for the relays so if there isn’t power to trigger you will not have a relay activated and that includes fuses needing to be intact for the switch LR fuse box, and the supply to the relay also, that then is outgoing to the lights.

I always prefer having two relays, one for the dipped, and one for the main as a plan B if needed in emergency.

The dim dip thing is a pain, I unplugged mine a long time ago.

Clicking is usually the relays coil, energising and energising.
Which could be caused by a poor or loose ground, or loose live connection.
If it’s going click, click, click a lot by it’s self if you move a little wiring then it’s likely a loose connection or poor connection.
A multimeter is likely your friend here, especially a ground continuity check. Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1020441 7th Jan 2024 9:04pm
Martin S

Thanks very much for your reply. I have two relays one dip and one for beam. There's something very odd happening and i just can't get to the bottom of it. The head light feed to headlights relay comes from an additional fuse box fed direct from the battery. I think i will unplug the dim dip - where will I find it on my defender.
Post #1020455 7th Jan 2024 9:30pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I think the dim dip was reintroduced late TD5 onwards, for a while, so I’m unsure if your’s will have it due to year, as, I’m not entirely sure when it was introduced.

I’d pull out a relay, and check the pins for voltage and ground continuity based on a diagram readily available online, it’s the best way to track down the fault with a multimeter.

Pin 30, incoming supply,
*(internal relay switch contacts)*

pin 87 output supply (to the lights).

Incoming Live Trigger on and off; Pin 86
*relay energising coil*
Pin 85 coil Ground.

Typical pin layout based upon a typical ‘make / break’ Relay.

Of course don’t forget the separate lighting ground(s) too.

You’ll be expecting to see at least 11v plus, on pin 30 at all times.
The same on pin 87 if the relay is fitted and working and with the switching working and turned on.
Voltage on pin 86 with switching turned on.

And a good continuity reading on the grounding points as close to 0 Ohms as possible, if a high reading then there is a ground fault likely.

Any low voltage (where voltage should be present) reading is another sign of poor connection, in the ground or lives. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1020460 7th Jan 2024 9:55pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If the vehicle in question is a station wagon it is unlikely to have had dim-dip, it tended to be fitted to the commercial variants (which don't have the level adjuster on the dash).
Post #1020461 7th Jan 2024 10:19pm
Martin S

It's definitely got dim dip in it. The relays and power are all good. Something is causing a break in the circuit because when I rigged my temporary supply by triggering terminal 86 it all worked and then that failed in the same way
Post #1020462 7th Jan 2024 10:28pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Have you checked the pins on the LRs harness that they check out correctly? As those are the source of the trigger live presumably?

In particular the live supplies, if one is producing a low voltage that can give you a clue as to which circuit to look at.

If I remember rightly, the dipped and main beam circuits, not only go though the sidelight, dipped switch.
But, also the main beam stalk too and though the contacts there, just behind the steering cowl.
Obviously the dipped and main beam fuses in the LR fuse box need to be in-tact.

I seem to remember the dipped live, and main beam live went through the main beam stalk switching system. Possibly one of these contacts has got bent, or making poor contact or got too hot.

If you are getting a fault on both main and dipped, then it could be common ground. Both trigger ground and the headlights ground need to be checked that they are showing as a good ground.

The point of the auxiliary loom on headlights is so a reduced current flows though LR factory switching and contacts to prolong its life and reliability.
The factory wiring then, only triggers the relays coils giving an approx load of 150mA (under 0.2A) on each LR factory switching circuit.
And the current for the headlights directly fed from alternator, via an inline fuse near the alternator, to the relay internal switch contacts and through to the headlights with a better voltage and the current flowing through this instead reducing the current load via the switches.
It reduces the load from around 9.2A @ 12.2v for 2x standard 55w Incandescent standard headlights
Or approx 5.2A for LED through the switches down to only under 0.2A / somewhere between 50mA and 200mA.

In the process, the voltage often increases a little bit with in range directly at the headlights.
A particular benefit if you use standard headlights that aren’t LED, but if you do have LED like I do then the reduced load on the switching is still beneficial to have the harness, and it’s compatible with both incandescent and LED, both forwards, and backwards compatible.

It has been observed to see a voltage increase at the headlights after the loom upgrade
Typically 1v or 2v but, variable, but is beneficial for performance and still within expected voltage range.

My guess is a poor ground around the wings area, or the main beam stalk switch could do with replacing.
The LR loom, is supplied from ignition switched live in the fuse box, goes through the sidelight, dipped, off switch.
Though the main beam stalk switching, contacts and wiring system then out, to the headlights.
So this is where the trigger feeds are coming via, bypassing the two switches, should show you if it is those, but I’d only bypass one at a time to see which one.
I tend to think the main beam stalk, and those contacts, possibly even a loose connector on one of the contacts rear maybe culprit. They can come loose or slip off also.

Good luck Thumbs Up Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1020477 8th Jan 2024 12:40am
Martin S

I wonder if this has anything to do with it? The lights worked for a bit today!

What is this thing?
Post #1020560 8th Jan 2024 5:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You mean this
Click image to enlarge

?
If so, that’s the dim dip resistor I think, unplug it and go from there.
I remember I had a lot of issues with that before myself, and unplugging it is the answer.

On mine, that cured the dipped and main issues I had, sidelight was gone hence the resistor disconnected but as mine were LED I fitted piggyback looms from the upper separate little sidelights down to the headlights as mine has sidelight function too.

That damn resistor drove me crazy in the past looking for the thing and the issue, and even if it is active with regular headlights it doesn’t do them any good running on sidelights like that anyway.
It’s likely the dim dip resistor, is sending lower voltage to the relay than it should see to trigger it properly hence the sporadic issues you’ve had.
Strange that’s it’s just happened though, have you recently fitted the headlight loom? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1020568 8th Jan 2024 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1