↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > What gas for camping holidays (UK)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
300TDi CSW Phil

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Epsom Green
What gas for camping holidays (UK)
Have been in the process of running down my camping gaz stocks with a view to going Calor butane in 4.5kg bottles to avoid it feeling like my trousers are being lowered everytime I go for a refill.

I now have about half a 907 remaining and have now discovered that the 4.5kg Calor has been discontinued.

What is everyone else using?

Thanks in advance for any replies. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
Wide Track Sankey- In bits- Gone to a new home
M0XQS
Post #1003626 10th Aug 2023 4:11pm
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Use the small cartridges e.g. Coleman C500 as I don't cook that much. Use it with a Trangia with gas burner

I also have the 5kg Calor PAtio gas - comes in a green cylinder with red handles - it is propane
Post #1003629 10th Aug 2023 4:55pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We have been using camping Gaz for several years and have had no issues - easy to get but not the cheapest option.
For regular camping use over numerous weekends will see a 907 cylinder last about 6 months in our pop top. we have 2 canisters and keep one full as a back up on long trips.

As a cooking back up we have tangier meth stoves with we used all around the world on our cycle trip for over 6 yrs and never let us down ...
Colman petrol cookers are popular but can be fiddly to use until you get used to them ...

Thumbs Up Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1003631 10th Aug 2023 5:00pm
300TDi CSW Phil

I completely get all the responses and thanks for them.

I have many different cooking options when it's just the two of us, trangia a-like, jet boil a-like, fire kettle with pot stand and a folding gas burner that fits the threaded disposables.

This is more for family camping with 6 of us for a week when more cooking happens and a R907 can maybe last and maybe not.

I had a quick look on Facebook marketplace and have just managed to pick up a pair of 7kg calor butane cylinders for a pitifully low figure (there are a lot of Calor agents/dealers around my way).

I reckon with some clever management I should never need to take more than one away with us. Not too mention the cost per kilo of gas is substantially less than with CG. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #1003644 10th Aug 2023 6:45pm
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
There was someone on here selling one of the older coleman dual-fuel stoves not long ago- they are great when running on petrol, can be a bit exciting lighting them though.

if you are cooking for multiple people thats the way i would go.

Chris
Post #1003645 10th Aug 2023 7:04pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
300TDi CSW Phil wrote:

I had a quick look on Facebook marketplace and have just managed to pick up a pair of 7kg calor butane cylinders for a pitifully low figure (there are a lot of Calor agents/dealers around my way).

I reckon with some clever management I should never need to take more than one away with us. Not too mention the cost per kilo of gas is substantially less than with CG.

You've beaten me to it. The initial deposit is the kicker on the first purchase and the chances of ever getting back are less than nil, so hunt around ebay/freecycle for someone trying to off load them.

Oddly camper van places might be a good bet as well as many don't have the relevant licences to sell them, but take them in on PX's 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #1003651 10th Aug 2023 7:59pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Propane for us as Butane can become problematic in (very) low temps….
Locally the “roofing agent” is the cheapest bet…..
Post #1003652 10th Aug 2023 8:01pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I had the small calor cylinder for years, but I never liked having it in the car due to its weight and even at that size it was way too big. I did 5 weeks continuous camping once and only used about half of it. I also had camping gas cartridges for a little bbq and some mantel lamps and the generic en417 cartridges for my Jetboil and blow torch.

When the Calor got discontinued I decided to rationalise everything to en417 disposables. They are available everywhere, cheaper than Campingaz and available in different sizes. I bought a 2 cartridge Cadac en417 manifold for my cooker which works great with propane/butane mix gas. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1003678 10th Aug 2023 9:22pm
300TDi CSW Phil

Family (with the kids camping) is a summer activity I have winter options for two covered with non butane options.

With the defender 6 up any gas goes in the trailer. 1995 300 Tdi Epsom Green - It's a keeper.
M0XQS
Post #1003696 10th Aug 2023 10:53pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
We use the Calor butane 4.5kg bottles with a Kampa Geysor water heater, for showering & washing up.

But for cooking we have a couple of Coleman multi-fuel stoves. The Coleman fuel isn’t cheap but I prefer not to have the smell of petrol & the stoves deliver a lot of heat and are great to cook on. Takes me back to my scout days when we cooked on primus stoves.

Have campingaz cv things as backup but never use them.

For evening meal can’t beat cooking on a camp fire though.
Post #1003709 11th Aug 2023 5:47am
Norfolk-n-chance

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
When I was a kid my dad always used calor butane for our camping and later caravan trips. I’ve always used calor propane on the caravan.
The only problem I found with butane is that when it’s cold it’s a bit sluggish, you have to keep the cylinder warm to get a decent flame. Propane isn’t affected until it’s really cold, when you probably wouldn’t be camping anyway!
You can swap between the same sized cylinders, butane to propane at any decent sized calor seller.

Don’t get sucked into the money making trap that is Patio Gas, it’s the exact same gas (propane) in a bottle with a connector different to everything else and they charge you more for it!!

Remember, it’s only the regulator that needs to be changed for the different gases, the last propane one I bought was about £5, they have different style connectors so they can’t be used on the wrong gas. It’s to do with pressures.

It always surprises me how little you actually use. Why is my home gas bill so huge when I can do 3 weeks in the caravan on half a bottle!!! Rolling Eyes “a committee is a group of people who individually can do nothing, but as a group decide nothing can be done.”
Post #1003724 11th Aug 2023 8:56am
Intercept

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 Black LE Java Black
My camping trailer was designed to have a pair of 4.5Kg Calor butane cylinders but now that those have been discontinued I'm half way through a transition to the Calor 7Kg version, which fortunately fit into the trailer's cylinder holder. These use a different regulator - the same as the larger cylinders.

My backup options are an MSR Whisperlite Internationale running on Coleman gasoline or unleaded petrol (very sooty compared to Coleman) or kerosene (even sootier) and an old EPIgas single burner that takes the readily available self-sealing butane+propane mix cylinders.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1003735 11th Aug 2023 10:47am
Neil Jackson

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
Gas bottle storage aswell
Hi, just recently got my first defender and am starting a conversion for a camper, I read your comments and remember my dad also using butane when I was a kid, he still has a couple of the small obsolete butanes in his garage.
My dilemma at the minute is do I install a gas tank, or cary a bottle?
If I carry the bottle outside I have only seen a couple of brackets for outside are from Frontrunner and or LR bits, just wondered what other people do??
If I carry it inside its gonna be a carry on each time I set up or am I missing something? So much to take in and think I'm missing something
Post #1012494 24th Oct 2023 7:08pm
wyvern

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
As we use the camping Gaz bottles which are not as big as the calor ones, I have my gas bottle mounted under the left rear wing.
Its low down outside and out of the way, but easy(ish) to reach to change when needed.
The bottle sits on a U shaped plate secured with a ratchet strap inside the wing area which is often dead space - unless a water tank or locker is fitted there ...
Ive had this fitted to our last 3 110’s and it works really well. Poppy - TDCI (Puma) 110XS 2.2 - Camper conversion - see the build here - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic56530.html
Elgar -TDCI(Puma) 110XS Dormobile - now sold
Devon & Cornwall 4x4 Response - DC126
Post #1012499 24th Oct 2023 7:43pm
leonvh

Belgium 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Barolo Black
Quote:
As we use the camping Gaz bottles which are not as big as the calor ones, I have my gas bottle mounted under the left rear wing.
Its low down outside and out of the way, but easy(ish) to reach to change when needed.
The bottle sits on a U shaped plate secured with a ratchet strap inside the wing area which is often dead space - unless a water tank or locker is fitted there ...
Ive had this fitted to our last 3 110’s and it works really well.

Wyvern, do you happen to have pictures of your storage solution? Very interested to do the same. Thanks.

Leon
Post #1012508 24th Oct 2023 8:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>