Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Defender OME BP-51 Dampers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Defender OME BP-51 Dampers
Has anyone got them?

Worth it? over Koni HT Raids/Fox Bypass?

Would be going on a 110 CSW with a full internal/external cage, HD winch bumper, rock sliders, etc...

Expected weight of around 2.8 - 2.9t Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1003113 5th Aug 2023 4:14pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
The thing that worries me is that the remote reservoirs and adjusters seem to be lovely aluminium. Not sure on the shock bodies. What they’d be like after a couple of UK winters doesn’t bare thinking about. Apart from that they are probably brilliant. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #1003117 5th Aug 2023 4:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
This might help

The Koni’s I believe have to be removed from the vehicle to change the setting. That would be more than inconvenient.

Prior to my current pin to pin +5 inch Old Man Emu dampers I was given a set of the Terrafirma 4 way adjustable +5 inch dampers to test before they were released and they lasted seven years before I changed them.

I actually miss them. The adjustment was both easy and instantly noticeable. For example I would drive to Salisbury Plain in setting three, then change to the lowest setting for the best and softest ride then back to three for the journey home.

If it was a normal green landing day, on and off tarmac then I would use setting two as a good compromise.

Setting one was too soft of the road with too much body roll and setting four was too harsh on mud terrains and crap roads we have to put up with around here.

Which ever system you go for make it easy for yourself or you just won’t use the full potential

Thumbs Up
Post #1003122 5th Aug 2023 5:27pm
bankz5152

I did watch her video rather helpful.

I had Konis on my last 110, really good shocks imo, pain to adjust its more of a find a setting and leave it there. I managed to get them for £500 last time, such a deal doesnt exist now putting them close in price to the Foxes

The OMEs without their fitting kit arnt too and either. With the fitting kit just being front turrets, eye to eye mounts etc...

Also.looking for some real world experience of people that have them fitted and if its worth the extra expense for the Fox and BPs Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1003124 5th Aug 2023 5:54pm
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Few negatives about the BP-51s.
ARB doesn't sell any rebuild kits, nor shims (as far as I know). So once warranty is gone, they go in the bin. Secondly, internally it is only a 2.0 shock. It is the second tube making it look chunky.
There is a massive difference between oil levels going from 2.0 to 2.5. Same goes for how the adjusters work. Entry level 2.0 shocks (like Fox 2.0) use a simple choke valve whilst the 2.5 (and bigger) have actually adjustable valve stacks. Same goes for shaft size, quality of seals and piston design.
Also don't fall into the lie of 'custom' valved.
It takes a lot of attempts to get valving right. since fitting 2.5 Fox on my touring 110, I revalved the fronts 3, the rear 9 times and probably change my pistons as I still get too much flow on rebound. Takes me an hour to remove, revalve and refit 2 shocks, so not a big deal. On the other hand I have not seen anyone actually putting the effort in to revalve 2.0 Fox.
My suggestion would be to stick with Koni or similar, or going for a big upgrade with 2.5 Fox/ Kings and get all the tools to perform service yourself.
Most important to remember is that shocks are not there to compensate for bad spring selection or missing anti roll bars. Wish the LR community would be on the same level as the Jeep one when it comes to suspension...

Click image to enlarge
Post #1003243 6th Aug 2023 11:35pm
MercianRover

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Java Black
Bluest wrote:
The thing that worries me is that the remote reservoirs and adjusters seem to be lovely aluminium. Not sure on the shock bodies. What they’d be like after a couple of UK winters doesn’t bare thinking about. Apart from that they are probably brilliant.

I've had Fox on my Bowler since 2009 and it was used regularly in the really bad winters we had as a (90 mile) commute vehicle. One damper needed a new tube where the cap threaded in (think that was about 2014) then the set was rebuilt, revalved and had a clear coat on the bodies. Other than that they look in excellent condition. The rod ends are the heim joint and I replaced two axle end joints - at the rear.
Post #1003249 7th Aug 2023 8:09am
bankz5152

Thats good to know 100inch.

Yeah I agree dampers arnt there to take up the loss of arbs or bad springs. I was going to use OME springs which I found excellent on my last 110.

I always try to create a balance between off road ability and on road comfort so seems excessive imo to fit 2.5s on a 70/30 road/off road car.

It will have a front anti roll bar but no rear to allow for good flex. I found on my old 110 the rear anti roll bar did very little.

- mercianrover

Thats good to know they are reliable. What ever happens I was either going to clear coat the shocks or use clear heat shrink to protect them.

That said the Konis on my old 110 the paint was still flawless after 30k on the road and 3 winters Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1003252 7th Aug 2023 8:38am
100inch

Australia 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Santorini Black
Ask yourself why you want the rear axle flexing way more than the front......do you want a balanced car or something for show purposes? A rear anti roll bar will actually make your front work more (and they are pretty stiff on LR's). Also, you can also adjust over-/understeer with anti roll bars. Maybe something to think about it.
Post #1003256 7th Aug 2023 8:56am
bankz5152

Rear axle tends to do the majority of the work as opposed to the front. I also found even with rear arb spacers the bar would invert after minor flex, got sick of fixing/strapping it out the way so just removed it.

Click image to enlarge

None of my cars have ever been for show. They get driven daily and used off road.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #1003260 7th Aug 2023 9:59am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
I´ve always found quite difficult to tune the rebound.

100inch wrote:
Few negatives about the BP-51s.
ARB doesn't sell any rebuild kits, nor shims (as far as I know). So once warranty is gone, they go in the bin. Secondly, internally it is only a 2.0 shock. It is the second tube making it look chunky.
There is a massive difference between oil levels going from 2.0 to 2.5. Same goes for how the adjusters work. Entry level 2.0 shocks (like Fox 2.0) use a simple choke valve whilst the 2.5 (and bigger) have actually adjustable valve stacks. Same goes for shaft size, quality of seals and piston design.
Also don't fall into the lie of 'custom' valved.
It takes a lot of attempts to get valving right. since fitting 2.5 Fox on my touring 110, I revalved the fronts 3, the rear 9 times and probably change my pistons as I still get too much flow on rebound. Takes me an hour to remove, revalve and refit 2 shocks, so not a big deal. On the other hand I have not seen anyone actually putting the effort in to revalve 2.0 Fox.
My suggestion would be to stick with Koni or similar, or going for a big upgrade with 2.5 Fox/ Kings and get all the tools to perform service yourself.
Most important to remember is that shocks are not there to compensate for bad spring selection or missing anti roll bars. Wish the LR community would be on the same level as the Jeep one when it comes to suspension...

Click image to enlarge
 Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1003272 7th Aug 2023 1:50pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1