↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > analogue electric meters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
excossack

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 SW Caledonian Blue
analogue electric meters
Do these have any kind of radio type comms built in to them? I think not.
Reason I ask is I had SMS PLC on behalf of Shell call me asking if I wanted a smart meter. (TBH, I'd rather not) and then chap told me that the old meters have radio type device in them and the system they talk to is being turned off....? Really?

Told him I was happy with the meter I had now and could I get a non smart one installed. Nope was the answer.

views? 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Econet Station 48 no clock
Post #1000113 14th Jul 2023 3:47pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Only get a smart meter installed if you can get a strong mobile phone signal in your property, as this is how a smart meter sends its data. I say this because I live in a rural area and the phone signal is a bit hit and miss. This has led to a nightmare with BG sending crazy bills. In the end I have had to have the smart meter removed and older meter fitted and lots of phone calls to BG to have my bills re-adjusted. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #1000115 14th Jul 2023 3:55pm
camelman

United Kingdom 
Re: analogue electric meters
excossack wrote:
Do these have any kind of radio type comms built in to them? I think not.
Reason I ask is I had SMS PLC on behalf of Shell call me asking if I wanted a smart meter. (TBH, I'd rather not) and then chap told me that the old meters have radio type device in them and the system they talk to is being turned off....? Really?

Told him I was happy with the meter I had now and could I get a non smart one installed. Nope was the answer.

views?

Some do, called a teleswitch. https://www.energynetworks.org/industry-hu...f%20rates. 
Post #1000116 14th Jul 2023 4:00pm
excossack

Thanks CamelMan. Any idea if you can tell if one is fitted?

Gilarion - I have enough trouble with lack of EE signal in the house. I have to sit near a window to be able to make a call! and this is not in a rural area! 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #1000168 14th Jul 2023 8:05pm
Silver Back

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Coniston Green
If you do eventually agree to a smart meter make sure they install one(s) which is SMETS2 compliant. The older SMETS1 standard means that you may need to get the meters swapped out if you change suppliers. SMETS2 uses a national network which all suppliers use.

I'm also resisting the change as Shell are unable to state which standard their meters use. I suspect it's SMETS2 but I want confirmation beforehand.

Interestingly, Shell are stating the existing meter (approx 22 years old) is at end of life and "is not reading accurately". When I asked them how they know this they became very vague. I suspect their pushiness is simply to get the numbers of smart meters up so they hit their OFGEN targets.
Post #1000169 14th Jul 2023 8:17pm
excossack

I am pretty sure the chap from SMS PLC said SMETS2.
He also mentioned older meters can become inacurate as they age. 1999 Defender TD5 110

Regards
John M0VAZ
Post #1000178 14th Jul 2023 9:23pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
If you have an Economy 7 tariff it would be a good idea to see if the smart meter offered supports that tariff.

When I enquired it didn't. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #1000179 14th Jul 2023 9:36pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Someone turned up to install a smart meter here (ours is outside) I told him I did not want one. Stuck a notice on the door of the meter to that effect. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1000230 15th Jul 2023 11:19am
DonH2000

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
If you have a Economy 7 billing then it receives a timing signal via radio. That system is being stopped soon.

Good luck and stay safe,

Don Cheers Don.
Post #1000953 20th Jul 2023 11:55am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
gilarion wrote:
Only get a smart meter installed if you can get a strong mobile phone signal in your property, as this is how a smart meter sends its data. I say this because I live in a rural area and the phone signal is a bit hit and miss. This has led to a nightmare with BG sending crazy bills. In the end I have had to have the smart meter removed and older meter fitted and lots of phone calls to BG to have my bills re-adjusted.

gilarion, my friend has had exactly the same problem. And electricity meters are in cupboards under the stairs so probably the worst place possible in a house to get a mobile phone signal!

My Dad had a smart meter fitted. It was installed by a contractor who installed for various electricity suppliers. The one they fitted him had an O2 sim in it. I enquired about the connectivity problems. It was a couple of years back, but they had an arrangement with O2 that if they couldn't get a satisfactory signal, O2 had (I think eight weeks from memory) a certain amount of time to get it sorted or they were penalised. He said that he had never had many issues, but he didn't live in rural Norfolk and I guarantee he never went anywhere near the north Norfolk Coast Laughing
Post #1000959 20th Jul 2023 12:18pm
Rashers

shropshiredefender wrote:
If you have an Economy 7 tariff it would be a good idea to see if the smart meter offered supports that tariff.

When I enquired it didn't.

You are absolutely correct shropshiredefender, most of the suppliers are trying to kill off Economy 7, and they will do it without your knowledge even without a smart meter. I have that bitter experience. I need to read the small print, don't I?

Why this is absolute rubbish (from the electricity suppliers) is the whole idea of smart metering is so they can charge different prices for your electricity at different times of the day. This is why smart meters were brought in. It will be a way of smoothing out the max demand. If you are charged a high rate between 5-7pm, a proportion of people will put the tea in the oven (or Air Fryer Rolling with laughter ) at 8pm, thus reducing the load at the time of peak demand. Obviously if you are rich, just like the London Congestion Charge, you won't give a hoot and carry on as you were.

And yes, I know, that is exactly the reason for Economy 7 was introduced

We do not have enough electrical supply in this country for our move to electric vehicles and electric heating. We never did, and even with a load of wind farms and a couple of Nuclear Power Stations, we still won't. Only today, one of the large off shore wind farms off the Norfolk Coast has been mothballed as prices have risen 40% and it doesn't make the project cost effective. I wonder if this is a ploy to get more money out of the government as they are desperate for every kW they can get!

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/23667775.vatt...me-halted/
Post #1000962 20th Jul 2023 12:32pm
Rashers

DonH2000 wrote:
If you have a Economy 7 billing then it receives a timing signal via radio. That system is being stopped soon.

Good luck and stay safe,

Don

Ohhh! Didn't know this! If you rely on electrically heated stored water (an Immersion Heater) this could make an enormous difference to your annual bill!
Post #1000964 20th Jul 2023 12:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1