↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > V8 P525 Area (L663) > All Season Tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Redroof

Scotland 
All Season Tyres?
I’m just thinking ahead….
Has anyone had any experience using all-season tyres?
I had Pirelli Scorpions on my old Disco 4 that got terrible about half wear so replaced them with Scorpion Verde All-Seasons as suggested by the owner of the local tyre place, who also had a D4. They were like night and day, and they were great in snow and ice. Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
2021 Defender Carpathian Edition
Post #1000062 14th Jul 2023 10:18am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Not on a Discovery or New Defender, but I am fond of the Vredstein Quatrac Pros I have on the Freelander 2. Great in all weathers and phenomenal in the wet, snow and ice. Been on for a little over two years now and wearing brilliantly.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Vredestein/Quatrac-Pro.htm

Click image to enlarge
Post #1000074 14th Jul 2023 11:05am
Redroof

Scotland 
Very much seems like there is no all season tyres the same size as what is on - 275/45/22.

But… if I was to spec a new V8 Defender, there is an option for all season tyres on 22” wheels, but I cannot find the actual type spec, and LR don’t seem to want to tell me! Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
Post #1007949 17th Sep 2023 3:16pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
What about the Cooper Discoverer AT3? Has the 3 peak rating.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/coo...12h-874453

or the General Grabber AT3 with 3 peak rating

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/product/General/45/22/R-473105
Post #1007950 17th Sep 2023 3:22pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
Redroof wrote:
Very much seems like there is no all season tyres the same size as what is on - 275/45/22.

But… if I was to spec a new V8 Defender, there is an option for all season tyres on 22” wheels, but I cannot find the actual type spec, and LR don’t seem to want to tell me!

Mine, V8 90 built March ‘22, came fitted with Continental Cross Contact RX all seasons. They have the LR suffix on the sidewall. They are M+S but not 3Peak marked.
Post #1007964 17th Sep 2023 4:54pm
Redroof

Scotland 
That is what is on mine, and it has M+S marked on but is classed as a summer tyre according to Continental website, strangely.
I think however, reading more into it, that these Conti Cross Contacts will suffice considering the Scottish winter weather. Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
Post #1007968 17th Sep 2023 5:02pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
I found it listed as an all season on their site, I searched tyres by size then selected all season and that one came up. Side bar lists it as all season.

Like you I’ve decided to give them another winter test as the last one was mild down here in the south. I guess you’ll be giving them a more challenging test!
Post #1008001 17th Sep 2023 10:10pm
Redroof

Scotland 

Click image to enlarge

I checked the Continental site again and got a different site from the first search making me think I have done something wrong originally.
Indeed they are listed as all season, however all the tyre dealers have them listed as summer - see the pic attached from Kwik Fit.
I’ve got a 10% discount from National Tyre, so I think I’ll be going for a complete new set this week.
Cheers
Garry Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
Post #1008007 18th Sep 2023 7:07am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
Yes, have used all seasons on our own vehicles, have also been involved in testing them.

Pros, cold and wet weather performance is brilliant, good in the snow and ice too.

Cons, slight increase in road noise, marginal (barely noticeable) impact on fuel economy, there will likely be slight reduction in tread wear life compared to a summer.

If you are doing limit-performance stuff on dry tarmac, the handling will still be good enough- but don’t expect to see the same performance as a summer UHP tyre.

In the testing I was involved with some of the all seasons were chucking in remarkably close/comparable results to some of the winter tyres for snow and ice performance.

For the money Vredstein get my vote- they were a really good alrounder. The conti cross contact you have detailed above is a great tyre too.

Chris
Post #1008055 18th Sep 2023 4:09pm
Redroof

Scotland 
Good info Chris, many thanks!
Don’t seem to be able to find anything but Continental and Cooper all seasons at this size for SUV. Indeed most UK tyre places are only offering Contis.
I’m happy with them so far, and I’ve had Pirelli verde all season which were far superior to the summer tyres.
Given the tarmac and the topography round here I doubt I’d notice any increase in road noise nor any difference in fuel economy. Safety is the main driver here, and I’ll never scrimp on tyres! Current Garage...
1998 Defender 90 300Td
Post #1008073 18th Sep 2023 5:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1