Home > Off Topic > Jobs from Hell…
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Jobs from Hell…
I’m officially knackered!

Have spent the last two weekends cleaning all of the block paving at my house; the driveway, the patio, beside the house. Previous owners thought it was a great idea to lay metres and metres and metres of brick work BUT in over a decade, never thought it was worth cleaning it. Rolling Eyes Not only was it manky but it was so spotted with black and white spot it looked like a Dalmatian Very Happy

So, phase one, sweep it all. Phase two, power wash it all - twice. Phase three weed the entire thing, on my hands and knees Neutral

Phase four (done during the week) use a burner to get the remaining weeds.

Phase five - power wash it all again.

Phase six… this weekend: dig out all the old crud between the bricks and then re-sand between the block work.

I wish I could say I’m done… my back certainly is but I have run out of sand and still have part of the side and driveway to do.

At times it felt like I was in some kind of forced labour camp… only issue being I was the both the warden and the prisoner Mr. Green

Now I have to whip my mojo up to do it all again next weekend… I can feel myself procrastinating already!

So, over to you!

What are those jobs you detest doing and put it off until you can’t think of any more excuses as to why you shouldn’t just get on with it?
Post #998298 2nd Jul 2023 7:21pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
do you intend to seal it. I clean mine each couple of years and use a block seal DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #998300 2nd Jul 2023 7:40pm
Distorted Vision

United Kingdom 
Good job. I remember doing my driveway a few years ago. I treated mine few weeks ago with Glyphosate and recently removed all the dead weeds with a wire brush.

I pressure washed the Indian Sandstone patio in the back a few weeks ago.
Post #998303 2nd Jul 2023 7:54pm
Mr Fox

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
LR90XS2011 wrote:
do you intend to seal it. I clean mine each couple of years and use a block seal

That was the plan - not sure if I’ll spray or roller it on. Any recommendations?
Post #998307 2nd Jul 2023 8:11pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I've just learned there are very effective cleaning machines. Too effective. This is our pedestrian zone. Newly paved two years ago. A couple of days ago I heard a loud whining noise and saw a small cleaning car following an oil trace. Well the oil marks are still there but look at the pavement Rolling Eyes
Now, with all your recent experience, would you come over and do the rest? Can't be left like that Cool
Oh, erm , the oil/cleaning trace continous for about a mile out on the road...

Click image to enlarge
Post #998312 2nd Jul 2023 8:26pm
Distorted Vision

United Kingdom 
You use a roller. Resiblock is the best block paving sealant but it's expensive.

Mr Fox wrote:
LR90XS2011 wrote:
do you intend to seal it. I clean mine each couple of years and use a block seal

That was the plan - not sure if I’ll spray or roller it on. Any recommendations?
Post #998314 2nd Jul 2023 8:48pm
Buz1500

United Kingdom 
I gave up power washing our flagged patio and block paved driveway some years ago. I now just spray both areas with Wet & Forget twice a year and use a Glyphosate hand sprayer on any weeds which appear. It’s a lot easier and more effective at keeping everything looking pristine. I might add that I live in a house that’s surrounded by large sycamore and oak trees in Lancashire, a well known damp county. 2019 Range Rover SDV8 Autobiography
2023 Defender 110 P400e X-Dynamic HSE - gone
2020 Defender P300 SE - gone

2019 Jaguar F-Pace SVR - gone
2013 SDV8 Autobiography - gone
2011 L322 TDV8 Vogue SE - gone
2006 L322 3.6 Vogue Se - gone
1999 P38 4.0 se - gone
199? Classic 3.5 - gone
Post #998316 2nd Jul 2023 9:03pm
Danny Fireblade

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi HT Alpine White
If you want to power wash it only once then get a Kranzle and that will do the job. I do my block paving and with the power head it strips the crud off and also weeds between the cracks. Wait for it to dry then sweep in fresh jointing sand and bingo, job done.
Post #998333 2nd Jul 2023 11:47pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
me and my dad have got to do a job from hell, We have to felt the wash house roof, ( outer house ) Not going to be a fun one that, getting the remaining stuff from up there plus, the height on one side is a mega drop compared to the other. The old heart was proper giving it some, when i had to climb down the ladder on that side. getting sweaty palms typing about the experience now Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #998336 3rd Jul 2023 5:56am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
I use a roller, and do it every 2-3 years it suppresses the weeds ands protects against oil spots which will generally just wipe off with some white spirits or petrol. (perhaps not ones as bad as that above), but those little ones you get when the oil change goes a bit splashy.

One issue with sealing however it that if you have hollows in the drive you will get puddles that take longer to drain as the sealant also seals the sand to some extent DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #998338 3rd Jul 2023 7:07am
mikeh501

United Kingdom 
Buz1500 wrote:
I gave up power washing our flagged patio and block paved driveway some years ago. I now just spray both areas with Wet & Forget twice a year and use a Glyphosate hand sprayer on any weeds which appear. It’s a lot easier and more effective at keeping everything looking pristine. I might add that I live in a house that’s surrounded by large sycamore and oak trees in Lancashire, a well known damp county.

This. never jet washed paving/drive since. some kind of weed killing/moss kiling/soap cleaner stuff but it works wonders and keeps working for months. I do mine once a year, over tarmac, flags, patio, walls etc. Theres a cheaper one called pro-kleen on ebay too.
Post #998352 3rd Jul 2023 10:43am
shanecl

Ireland 1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Auto Firenze Red
The secret sauce is hypochlorite, Farmers used it to clean milking parlours, well in Ireland they do. The mix is 4:1 and apply in a watering can with the shower head nozzle liberally depending how bad it is.

Cheat code is to do it 2 hours before it rains so the rain will wash it off for you otherwise you got to get the hose out. Any stubborn areas use a bristle brush.

Its a bleach so try not to get it on your clothes and don't let the dogs or cats on it until its been washed off
Post #998389 3rd Jul 2023 2:26pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
well me and my dad managed to do the roof, laugh is i practically ended up doing it my self, my dad started having cramps in his legs, and just wasn't 100 percent into the job, keen to dictate though, bloody hot up there, he went down to sort my mam out a brew, but he was just standing about, my mam badgered him back up there or foot the ladder for me, because i am not that 100 percent on ladders to start with. Plus if they are rocky that gets the heart going! My legs were killing me, the rolls are not easy to move at all. But we did a job, had to by brush on sealant in the end, to help things out. Did a good job considering it was the cheapest stuff. I think were both happy its done and dusted. We pushed onto a more nicer job and that was the guttering. So the roof side of things is sorted that god. Just a bit of trim to go on the sides.
Next up a bench now, which will be a good job to do. Thumbs Up Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1003833 12th Aug 2023 1:50am
NormanD

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Santorini Black
If you are thinking of using Sodium Hypochlorite, please have a look at the website: -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...toxicology
Its worth reading this before you use the solution, PPE and control of the solution is paramount NormanD WE191

2015 110 XS Utility
2014 VW Caravelle 180 Executive
Post #1003864 12th Aug 2023 1:21pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Still working on the guttering, adding the bit trim now, i re sealed the edges where the heat never stuck it. But so far it seems to have not dropped off the roof Laughing Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1005540 27th Aug 2023 2:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>