Home > Puma (Tdci) > Galvanised Chassis - Crossmember to Body Mounting
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Galvanised Chassis - Crossmember to Body Mounting
Hi Folks,

I am looking at getting a Richards Galvanised Chassis in the medium term future and am just wondering if they have the captives for the rear crossmember to body mounting (the 10x T40 M8 nuts under the rear lights/door) and if not, does anyone know the part number for the bar that has the captives, as one was drilled out whilst replacing the bolts, but also as it quite tired so I’d like to “refresh” this alongside the chassis.

From what I can tell it seems like the chassis does not have the mounts/captives (but I could be wrong) and a piece containing the mounting points and captive nuts then bolts to the top of the rear crossmember, with the body bolting to that…but I cannot find the part number for this bar if that is the case.

Many thanks
Kieren
Post #997650 26th Jun 2023 11:05pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
It depends I guess on what style rear cross member they’re fitting. From the pictures on their site it appears to be that style though.

KVU000060 Is what you’re after, I got one from the dealer as I got sent the “tab” type with the same number aftermarket - I had mine shot blasted and galvanised with others I had.

Just out of interest what has made you chose the Richard’s chassis over the other 4/5 out there? The Marsland in my opinion is the best fitting and original.
Post #997651 26th Jun 2023 11:33pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks @NickMc, that looks to be for TD5 and is the nut and bolt type, is there a version of this that has captive nuts or is there a plate with the captives that attach to this?

As for why Richards, it’s a combination of factors really - highly reputable, price, offer fitting service at their premises, offer 0% finance, and linked to the fitting service - they’re only about an hour from me.
Post #997655 27th Jun 2023 5:19am
NickMc

That piece has the captives on it and is attached with M8 bolts through the round holes on the bottom face of your crossmember.
Post #997734 27th Jun 2023 1:39pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Apologies, I probably wasn't clear. I am referring to captives on the vertical face of the part. On the Puma the tub to fitting uses captives as well as the crossmember using captives.

Post #997736 27th Jun 2023 2:08pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The pre 2002 might be using KVU101160
But and Nick mentioned, some aftermarket suppliers state KVU000060 which I think is not correct.
Have a look here:
https://www.lrworkshop.com/parts/KVU000060 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #997738 27th Jun 2023 2:37pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks Dannu, that looks to be more like it - especially this linked item:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144890976222?ha...olid=10049

So, I guess the question is around if I need to buy this or if the chassis will come with one.
Post #997757 27th Jun 2023 4:26pm
NickMc

Some manufacturers sell them with and some as an extra. Yours won’t be rotten and normally a quick run through with a tap cleans the threads up. Once you have a bit of heat on the captive nuts the bolt threads out, even snapped off ones.

That’s Rik selling that one on eBay- I’ve bought plenty of him if that’s an option for you. They’re nicer than the tab type in my opinion and you don’t have to mess about with the captive plates and rivets which I think corrode the tub quicker, the one you already have is a puma so should have the type in your link.

I galvanise all the steel parts and brackets when I do chassis swaps, but I have a stock of them and just rotate when I do a batch.

The two different styles of brackets your talking about are at the bottom of this image

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #997787 27th Jun 2023 8:29pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks for your continued advice Nick. The reason i was curious about that mount piece with captive is because when I had a minor body repair done (just a bit of paint really) the chap couldn’t be bothered to fettle with the bolts to get it out of the captive so instead chose to drill it. I now have a single bolt on the tub to X-member mount that needs a nut, which is why I was curious as it’s a royal pain in the backside because it’s one of the ones used for many ladder systems.

I guess if needs be then it could be cut off and a new captive welded on
Post #997806 27th Jun 2023 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1