↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Engine observation after ignition
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
doruk1981

Switzerland 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Engine observation after ignition
Fellow td5 fans - i reassembled the car and plugged in the rebuild engine and started spooling down the initial 500km for shake down. I have some observations where i’d be happy for your inputs to do some fine tunes and capturings of potential issues down the road.

Is it normal that the fuel pressure needs a moment to build up when cold starting? I note that at the moment igniting the engine there is a 30seconds time frame where i can be press throttle and nothing happens. You can hear that the puel pump is gearing up though … as i dont have similar issues/observations with my discovery Im just not sure if my fuel pump is soon end of life? Or if i plugged in fuel lines correctly to the punp and filter …

Also,
When driving up the hill we loose quite some power and need to shift gears to maintain the speed (50/80kmh). As the engine is a full rebuild, would a tuning session help with this notion?

Emission wise, we has the shakedown event on Saturday where the engine was redlined about 6 times and we managed to not break it and also remain well below the government defined thresholds. So some good news. Td5 110 Station
Post #1000835 19th Jul 2023 4:39pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
No not normal. There is no delay after starting for the engine to produce power. The lack of power going up hill might be normal as the Td5 needs a few revs to produce power. Keep it above 2500 to get decent up hill power.

It's not a terribly complicated engine and you need to do some trouble shooting. Check for correct fuel pressure. Check turbo pressure. Is your air mass meter working correctly? Are your injectors dialled in correctly. EGR working correctly?
Post #1000919 20th Jul 2023 6:08am
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
Try unplugging the MAF sensor before you next start your Td5. A dead MAF can cause 30s of a lack of power upon start-up. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #1000974 20th Jul 2023 1:28pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
What they said... The MAF can produce so weird running conditions. Unplug it and re-try. If and when you need to replace it only buy VDO or Genuine LR as they have less problems.
Post #1000992 20th Jul 2023 3:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1