Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
andyhirst

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Montalcino Red
Off Road Pack
I have a 110SE D250 standard spec
and I am looking to order a replacement
Can anyone tell which of the off road packs is the best to have.
Or should I have both?
Post #995942 11th Jun 2023 10:32pm
Defendit..

Netherlands 
Get the one with the electronic diff.
Programable TR2 can be enabled later. No Mud flaps for my 90.!
-----------------------------------------
P300 S on air, adv.+ offroad pack, DRL+fog, Dinamica Suedecloth + Ebony headliner/Cross Beam- Many Mods..
Post #995952 12th Jun 2023 12:21am
Cheshire110

United Kingdom 
100% - the locking diff makes a notable difference, the other stuff just falls into the category of “interesting bells and whistles”

Terrain response and hill descent control are all you really need and they are standard - TR2 and ATPC don’t add a great deal really Cheers, David
Land Rovers of all shapes S3 onwards… Daily is a 110 V8.
Post #996000 12th Jun 2023 2:58pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
You only need these "off road" packs if you actually plan some serious off road driving. The standard vehicle will do anything you'd need in day to day driving whatever the season.
Post #996155 13th Jun 2023 4:30pm
Tim in Scotland

If you don’t want/need the roof rails, mildly all terrain tyres or the 3 pin socket in the boot then you can spec the locking rear diff on its own not in a pack of other kit. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #996190 13th Jun 2023 9:41pm
J77

Scotland 
The ediff is all you need really. 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
Post #996273 14th Jun 2023 6:50pm
Mrburt

United Kingdom 
TR2 will give you auto mode that is not available on TR
This is a valuable tool in changing conditions, a select and forget mode, where as TR requires the driver to select in response to changing conditions.
TR2 is a valuable option that’s as valid on road as off. You pays your money and takes your choice of course.
My next Defender will have as a minimum, air suspension, TR2 and active rear diff, in whatever package is most cost effective or available at the time.
Hope this helps.
Post #996299 14th Jun 2023 9:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
Are you planning some serious off road driving or expeditions in the vehicle?
Post #996323 14th Jun 2023 11:24pm
AmL

If you need to ask, you don't need it. Don't waste your money on things you'll never use.
Post #1001964 27th Jul 2023 9:57am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
sbcaptures wrote:
These days, it's best to buy a four-wheel-drive vehicle with the best 4x4 off road accessories if you want to go off-roading. They're usually better-equipped for dirt roads and a bit more robust and forgiving if you make a mistake. However, there are some 2WD vehicles you can off-road with confidence.

Obvious AI-generated spam Rolling Eyes
Post #1001967 27th Jul 2023 10:18am
XplusYplusZ

lightning wrote:
You only need these "off road" packs if you actually plan some serious off road driving. The standard vehicle will do anything you'd need in day to day driving whatever the season.

Agreed - and even then, you'll be hard pressed to find terrain where the e-diff will get you through, but the single diff wont.
Post #1002116 28th Jul 2023 8:12pm
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I agree with that, ive never had the ediff and always wanted the ediff across the new defender, d4, rrs etc. Although ive used one on LRE cars etc. looking back, I've never had the locking rear in any of the puma, td5 or 300tdi defenders I have had or td5 and 300tdi discos, that i used to actually off road and those did loads of off road sites, farming and greenlaning etc

Im sure the ediff adds some value, both on and off road, but i cant help in feeling not in 85% of the scenarios most people would ever use it in in the UK and for the 15% chance, the default systems and tyres are by far capable, it just might make it a bit more scrappy for a moment and of course you need to understand how TC and TR work to get the most out of them Mike
Post #1002817 3rd Aug 2023 8:46am
LR Nuts

This topic / thread really makes me laugh, 'Off-Road' Pack. Supplied by the world renowned 4x4 capable manufacture. Their marketing dept sell the virtues of go anywhere do anything vehicle.

I do remember many years ago, when I took my Discovery 2 in for a Dealer service, a comment came back "you have been using this vehicle Off-Road Sir?
Post #1002820 3rd Aug 2023 9:20am
mse

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Scotia Grey
I recall something where a dealer tried that around that time, until LR got involved. It was a warranty claim or something.

In fairness the off road pack is a chance to spend even more money on stuff you dont quite need Mike
Post #1002824 3rd Aug 2023 10:11am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Mrburt wrote:
TR2 will give you auto mode that is not available on TR
This is a valuable tool in changing conditions, a select and forget mode, where as TR requires the driver to select in response to changing conditions.
TR2 is a valuable option that’s as valid on road as off. You pays your money and takes your choice of course.
My next Defender will have as a minimum, air suspension, TR2 and active rear diff, in whatever package is most cost effective or available at the time.
Hope this helps.

I struggle to see the point of TR2. What exactly does it do over the standard version, do you have a real world example of the differences?

Really TR2 sounds like a band aid stuck over an overly complex terrain system that requires the driver to be an expert on the vehicle and the terrain to make use of it.

Not knocking the tech, but most people most of the time were probably far better off with the standard low/high diff lock lever than they are with a computer that tries to be too clever for its own good much of the time.
Post #1002832 3rd Aug 2023 10:57am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>