↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Slow Clutch? (with Poll!)
How would you rate the gear changes in your Puma?
Quick and smooth from 1st to 6th
64%
 64%  [20]
Slow and crunchy on 1st and 2nd, smooth on the rest
35%
 35%  [11]
Slow and Crunchy from 1st to 6th
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 31

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
Hard to say. Ford calls for a different spec (WSD-M2C200-C), but in my experience a GL-4 only provided by a toyota dealer has been the best oil for my Defender. Now I am using a 75W90 GL4 semi synth from Valvoline and does not feel as good as when I used the "toyota" oil. Other chaps use Mannol 75W80 GL4 and they are happy. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #994878 2nd Jun 2023 5:16pm
pedrocandrade

Brazil 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Epsom Green
Alright, a few updates. First, I added the bushings to the gaiter, but saw no noticeable improvement. I then saw that the oil I was using in the gearbox (Total Traxium FE 75W90 shown before) was a bit thicker at 40°celcius than the Castrol BOT 130M specs. That’s no longer available, so I bought the new one sold by Land Rover, which is Castrol BOT 328. This one has the same specs as the 130M as far as I could tell, which is also quite similar to the Syntrans Multivehicle75w90 that I saw some of you use.

Did the change yesterday and it turns out the box was overfilled as well. Had 3.7 liters in it! I added the correct 2.2 liters and saw a big improvement. When the box is at 40° celcius or warmer (checked from the bottom of the casing with an IR gun thermometer) it’s perfect. Starting at 25° celcius (ambient temp in Rio these days) I still need to sometimes revert to neutral to engage first. I can also “count to 3” after depressing the clutch and it will go in 90% of the time. There’s still the freak 10% of times where it doesn’t work at all and I need to engage 4th and slightly release the clutch to “move things around” before going back to first. Still diagnosing that. Might be clutch related. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone in the forum for the help. I wouldn’t have thought of the overfilling issue without your excellent comments. I’ll keep looking at this issue in regular maintenance and will report back with any news.
Post #1014887 12th Nov 2023 4:58pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Great insight, thanks. I‘ve just had the oil changed after 60k km (37k mls) and gear changes are even smoother now Smile
Castrol Transmax Manual Multivehicle 75W-90, successor of the Syntrans, 2.2 litres, minus a few drops because they didn‘t tighten the drain plug correctly… Rolling Eyes
Post #1014893 12th Nov 2023 5:39pm
pedrocandrade

Good news! I installed a new clutch from LOF, along with new master and slave cylinder and all the accessories in their kit, and the problem is completely gone!

I no longer need to wait for the whole system to warm up to be able to have clean "neutral to first" engagements at the stop sign. The gearbox works perfectly from the get go. And it's much faster too. Changes between all gears are perfect.

Since I replaced a lot of things, I cannot say exactly what the culprit was. If I had to guess, I'd blame the slave cylinder. But it wasn't leaking, though. The old clutch was not at the end of its life. Just a bit worn and with the well known loose and noisy springs. So I'll never know for sure.

Anyway, I'm relieved that it wasn't a gearbox issue.

I also installed a LOF ExtremeSpec Output Shaft and the whole transmission feels a lot tighter.

The car is a joy to drive now.
Post #1031073 9th Apr 2024 1:51pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
That sounds like a good result.. I have like yourself replaced every component on my clutch system... Including the hydraulic lines..
I still get a black debris appearing in the base of the clutch master cylinder.. Nothing like as severe as it was when just replaced and changing the hydraulic lines and flexible rubber hose for a pioneer s/s line also helped, but it still appears so it can only be slave and master cylinder seals that contribute to it now..
I'd be keen to know if you notice any debris collecting in your master cylinder in a week or so..
I did post a thread about it and kept it updated for a good few months, but there was no one offering any other thoughts about it once the biological groath /water contamination had been discounted..
Post #1031079 9th Apr 2024 3:27pm
hornet

HIGHTEC TOPGEAR SAE 75W-90 S

The oil has the lowest viscosity at cold temperatures of all the gear oils I have compared, and works excellently for me. Basically, you have to shift gears with care and "put on" the gears so that the synchronisation has time.

Post #1031080 9th Apr 2024 3:36pm
pedrocandrade

@andy63. Sure thing, I'll look into that. Does the debris get down to your clutch pedal or simply stay lodged inside the master cylinder box?

@hornet. Thanks for the tip! I recently switched oils to the Castrol BOT 130M which is the current genuine LR oil for the Puma. It has worked fine and I see no need for something with even less viscosity now. My problem was clearly not gearbox oil related. Actually, I live in Rio, in quite warm climate around 25-40º celsius. Far from the cold temperatures that would demand a lower viscosity oil. The issue I had seemed to have been connected to a faulty slave cylinder. It improved when warm, but it was not about the gearbox oil, but probably the slave cylinder getting warmer.
Post #1031100 9th Apr 2024 7:30pm
andy63

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Cheers.. I'm just curious as mine is still getting this debris.. Which is visible in the clutch master cyl reservoir..
See attached photo of the last time I checked😩

Click image to enlarge
Post #1031101 9th Apr 2024 7:49pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Needs a good flushing, but it’s probably residual debris in the concentric Slave cylinder, so it comes back after a shorter than expected time. (After bleeding).

Happens a lot, and rubber breakdown with age, not too much to worry about though. My old Mastercylinder lasted a good ten plus years. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1031103 9th Apr 2024 8:15pm
hornet

delete
Post #1031866 17th Apr 2024 2:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12